ZMonson

Took the first step today

First off let me introduce myself, my name's Zack. I'm a 30 y/o occupational therapist with a history of obesity that goes back 18 years. Well today was the start of my GB journey. I had a group seminar with the unit nurse and a dietician. My first surgical consultation was also scheduled for Sept. 8th. I was told (which I knew previous) that a certain amount of weight is expected to be lost pre-op. The dietician gave us the option today to have our weight recorded so the surgeon in 2 mos time could see if any progress was made on our own. I was disgusted with what I seen. I haven't been able to get on a scale in over 10yrs and today was the first time I had actually seen the #. 590. FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY POUNDS. I still can't believe it, it sickens me. I dont move around like I weigh that much, I have a full time job and love the outdoors. How could it have gotten to this point? I just wanna lay in bed and cry. We learned ALOT in the 6hrs of classtime we through today. I know this is just the tip of the iceberg and the start of a long road, it's just so discouraging seeing that number. I came home and dumped three 2-liters of Mt. Dew down the drain. And threw a brand new (-2) pack of cigarettes in the trash. I'm ready to make this change, I HAVE to make this change. I want a wife and kids, I want to be able to fly on vacation, I want to ride roller coasters! LOL There's just so much that my weight is limiting me by. Sorry to ramble, I'll be pretty active on here so any and all questions/thoughts are welcomed. Ive done alot of post reading and I really like the sense of a family atmosphere on here. For anyone interested I am going through the process at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, MI. My surgeon is Dr. Genaw. Any experiences with him and/or his program are more than welcomed to be shared. Thanks.

Welcome Zack! The first step is typically the hardest one, but don't get discouraged as you progress through this. Very few go through without a few stumbles, but the important thing is to remember to pick yourself up, brush it off and continue forward! It sounds like you may have hit your "bottom" today. I know when I hit mine it felt like the worst day of my life but now I look back and feel it was the best day. It pushed me forward to this new way of life and I'm happier than I can remember.

TT has some of the best info and support I've found. If you have a question someone will answer you right away, if you are feeling down someone will be here to pick you up, and when you want to announce your successes someone will be there to give you a high five!

Good luck on your journey and welcome "home."

Hi Zack :) Welcome to TT and congrats on your decision to have GB. Get ready the ride is just begining..lol Good job on dumping the dew and cigs. I smoked too prior to surgery and had to quit 2 months before my big day. I feel so much better that I no longer smoke. It was hard at first but I wanted surgery so much more than my cig cravings. Good luck to you and I hope to follow your journey..

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels! I forget who said that but its become my motto. lol

Welcome to the fam-bam! We are always here to pick you up and dust you off and put you back on the path to success and the new you! You can do this. Congrats on dumping the cigs and Dew. I smoked for over 20 years and quit cold turkey 3 years ago. I have steadily put on weight since, and I was already overweight.

You are doing the right thing! It's scary as hell when you come to the realization that its pretty much a mandatory thing that needs to happen or your life literally is put at risk. Very scary. My medical issues are what put me over the edge to decide to do this. I had surgery on June 16th and am already SO happy that I did it. No regrets or buyers remorse at all. You will struggle and have so many emotional ups and downs its not even funny. But in the end, its ALL worth it. I have lost 22 lbs in 20 days. (I consider that slow losing from some of the weight I have seen dropped by people on this site)

Welcome again and I look forward to watching your journey and hearing more from you! :)

Zack!! I'm so excited for you! You have made a great decision, and I look forward to hearing about your journey to a healthier you. As I read your post I thought what a great success story this is going to be! :) A big congrats on quitting smoking. It's hard I know (I'm a reformed smoker) and you're going to feel so much better. I know you are going to find the support you need here, welcome to TT.

First off I commend you for taking that big step. It is important to hit that rock stage to where being whatever weight has just sickened you and you are ready to make that big change on the inside and out. You deserve that. It will take a little time before you are on the losing bench but at least you are walking toward a new and improved life instead of walking away from. Keep coming here and learning all you can. Ask as many questions, be informed and always be your own advocate in this process.

Be proud, you're on your way! Everyone has said it so well, there's nothing more I could possibly say!

Welcome! In the little bit of time that I have been on this forum, I have come to realize that there are some wonderful people on here who offer unconditional support. I too am just in the beginning process but have already learned so much from the wonderful people on here. Congrats on your decision and good luck on this amazing journey that you are beginning!

Welcome to the boards Zack!! I too am a Michigander...First off, Congrats on making the first step...its going to be an amazing journey!! Second, Henry Ford is an amazing Hospital! I am not having mine done there, but my husband was very ill and he had to be taken down there, and they are nothing but the best!! You are in very good hands!! Welcome and i look forward to getting to know you!

A successful journey starts with a single step. You made that step! That's typically the hardest one to make. Congratulations on taking control over your life.:D I can't wait to follow along as you become an ultimate success story!

Hey Zach, I echo everything that all the ladies before me have said. And there are some guys that han out around here too.

Welcome!

Zack; you did the right thing in dumping the Mountain Dew and cigarettes. for many of us, we don't know how we let ourselves get to that point; but you know what you took the first step. The key is not to let it get beyond this point. The process can be long and difficult and when you are higher in weight it makes the operation more difficult and many times the sleeve is required; start your changes now so in 2 months the dr. will say, "Great Job" lets get you scheduled". Stay strong and use the boards when you need a friend, if anyone can understand what you are gong through we can.

Love and Hugs!

Thank you everyone for the support. The cravings for the caffeine/nicotine aren't nearly what I thought they'd be , but then again this is the first day lol. I went for a walk last night for the first time in years. That too was not as hard as I though it'd be and I hope to continue it every night. Well I'm off to do some 'new and improved' grocery shopping : ) Chicken, fish, veggies and fruit will now replace the frozen pizzas, doritos and ice cream. Once again, thank you all and I will surely keep ya updated!

FYI Cynthia sure is a cutie aint she? haha.

Congratulations on taking that 1st step! That's the hardest! Wanting to make a change & deciding to take the steps to actually do it is a HUGE victory! You are going to do great!! :) And good job ditching the smokes! I quit 5 years ago, and that was a trial!

Welcome to TT! First, you have made a HUGE step in the right direction in making changes to a healthier you! It seemed like a long road when I first started this journey and if I was not changing my mind to go with the sleeve instead, I would have been submitted to insurance already. Time does go by pretty fast. Good luck and can not wait to see the progress on your journey!

Hi Zack welcome to TT, Good Luck on your journey to a new and healthier life.

Cathy

A little update for ya's.....Ive been walking at night. I dont know about where you live but here in MI it's been 90 and 100% humidity the last week. So it works perfect with my schedule to go out about 1AM. Well it's been 5 days since I seen the scale shocker. Ive been out every night and will continue to do so. It's my life right, I cant cheat it. I'll only be the one to suffer the consequences. Now on to the good news, every night it gets easier. I am really amazed at how that works lol. Ive been timing myself and first night I was only able to do 12 mins of leisurely walking. Tonight, I just got in from a 33 min stroll. I know it doesnt sound like much but for someone as big as me, thats alotta man to drag around lol. Well thank you all for the support, can't wait for my first surg consult to show him what Ive accomplished in this 2 month period.

Great job! Any steps you make to changes now, will make it for a HUGE success in the end. The surgeon should be astonished at the changes you are making. Keep it up!:)

Wow! Thats simply awesome! Good job! 1 am though...in Michigan? I'd be afraid Eminem was gonna gank me. lol :)

Keep the good news and positive momentum and updates coming! We love that kinda stuff around here. At least I know I do!

Wow! Thats simply awesome! Good job! 1 am though...in Michigan? I'd be afraid Eminem was gonna gank me. lol :)

Keep the good news and positive momentum and updates coming! We love that kinda stuff around here. At least I know I do!

LOL Nawwww I'm just outside of Ann Arbor. And I'm walking my 11 month old Pitbull every time AND I have my concealed pistol permit so I'm taking every precaution haha. But thanks for the concerns.

30106144902346122411023.jpg

It's my life right, I cant cheat it.

I really like that... I have to remember that.

Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your first step :)

LOL Nawwww I'm just outside of Ann Arbor. And I'm walking my 11 month old Pitbull every time AND I have my concealed pistol permit so I'm taking every precaution haha. But thanks for the concerns.

30106144902346122411023.jpg

Oh my...what a cutie! We have 6 dogs, all small powder puffs though. We are a Brady Bunch family! He brought 3 and I brought 3...lol. We didnt plan on moving in together but well...stuff happens! When I was going through some junk...he used to buy me puppies to cheer me up. Pics are in my album if you wanna peep em.

I wont worry about Eminem or your safety anymore then. You are well taken care of!

Keep posting! I'm diggin your positive vibe!

Oh my goodness....your dog is adorable! Cutie now....just wait and you will be getting all the ladies! :)

What up Z? How goes the battle. I thought about you today and thought I'd check and see how things are going for you. Hope you still aren't smoking and are able to stay resist the Dew!

Still walkin around in the middle of the night too with your adorable dog and not so adorable gun? lol