going2bethin

Can I have corn at 9 weeks out?

So I know corn is not a good choice after surgery since it does not have the protein we need but I am wondering how far out I need to be to have maybe 1 teaspoon or 2 of the cream styled corn. I assume the regular corn would be to hard on my pouch. I had surgery on 4-28. Thanks Michelle

Edited by going2bethin

try it if you want but i dont think its a good idea. corn converts into sugar so you may dump. on top of that its very hard to digest. i have had some mixed in with soups and ...not to be to graphic...looked the exact same coming out

Don't do it!!! Sorry to be blunt but just tonight I had 1/2 a corn on the cob and boy oh boy did I suffer - for over an hour it just sat there in my pouch and I ended up vomitting. It may have been exacerbated by other things (TT related) but I think corn is just too sugary for us. I am just over a year out now and won't be having corn again for quite a while, let me assure you of that!!! :)

Ok thanks for your replys I will put it off for quite a while I do not want to get sick. I am just trying to think of something that I can eat with meat to make a meal instead of just eating a bite or 2 of chicken. I can eat green beans but they really do not have much protein either.

Michelle - you just posted that you're only able to get 2-3 teaspoons of food down at a time. I don't think corn of any kind is a good option for you right now sweetheart. And some people find corn blows them up too.

Again - you need to see your doc about your inability to eat more than a couple of small bites.

I'm fortunate - I can eat corn with no ill effect although as Ansley points out, it pretty much comes out as it goes in.

Surprisingly, I am able to handle a small amount of corn, but recently I ate nearly 2/3 of a roasted corn on the cobb and found myself in pure misery! Needless to say, going forward, I will only eat a bite or two of corn.

Ok I am going to forget about the corn for a long time to come. I am just trying to find something I can eat with my chicken or beef. I am also trying to find out how much all other April people are able to eat at a time. If I am way off then I will contact my surgeon office to see what they suggest. I so want to do this right and not end up malnurished. Thanks everyone. Michelle

greens are the best...spinach, green beans, fresh salad, asparagus is wonderful...just dont eat peas! you will dump like crazy!

Notice I am over a year out....

I eat corn on the cob, corn out of a can, creamed corn, corn bread. I personally have never had a problem with corn. It's like all the other foods out there. Some will have problems and some won't. That being said early out you can find a ton more nutritious options than corn. Any food that comes out the other end looking exactly like it did going in isn't being used for any kind of nutrients. I also eat peas...I eat sugar snap peas regularly as a snack. YOU have to try each food and YOU have to see how it works for YOU. I've actually had days where I crave fruits and veggies. So I drink my protein and all my solid food is a fruit or a veggie.

greens are the best...spinach, green beans, fresh salad, asparagus is wonderful...just dont eat peas! you will dump like crazy!

Although peas and corn are higher in natural sugars, not everyone dumps on them - I certainly don't.

Best thing as always when it comes to reintroducing foods back into our diet post-op is to try a bite or two and wait to see what happens.

Salads and raw vegetables/fruit can be a problem so it's important to follow your surgeon's guidelines. Michelle is 9 weeks out - my plan didn't permit raw veg or salads until 12 weeks.

Although peas and corn are higher in natural sugars, not everyone dumps on them - I certainly don't.

Best thing as always when it comes to reintroducing foods back into our diet post-op is to try a bite or two and wait to see what happens.

Salads and raw vegetables/fruit can be a problem so it's important to follow your surgeon's guidelines. Michelle is 9 weeks out - my plan didn't permit raw veg or salads until 12 weeks.

I'm over 6 years out and still have a hard time with fresh greens...I need my greens blanches a little to break up the fibers for easier digestion.

My surgeon says no corn until after my 3 month check up.

Ok guys thanks for sharing your great knowledge with me. I will wait until maybe 6 months out. I am only focused on protein anyway so can not afford to eat anything that does not have protein in it. I was going to make a vegtable stew and put corn in it but I will leave out the corn. Thanks Michelle

So I know corn is not a good choice after surgery since it does not have the protein we need but I am wondering how far out I need to be to have maybe 1 teaspoon or 2 of the cream styled corn. I assume the regular corn would be to hard on my pouch. I had surgery on 4-28. Thanks Michelle

Ok...this has pretty much been answered already as far as safety and such. I just wanted to add a little tidbit though. Corn isn't a good choice for us, not only because it doesn't have the protein we need...it really isn't good for anyone at all (surgery or not) because it has ZERO nutritional value. It's a filler product. High in carbs too. I can't remember all the info on it right now, but it's very hard for anyone's body to digest (especially ours)...seems like I remember reading that it simply isn't digested at all (makes sense when you see your poo the next day or two lol).

Anyway... this early out...no. Ever...there's really no point to eating it other than satisfaction....but if you do some research on it, I'm sure you'll start seeing why to not bother with it and learn to not miss it.

I probably ought to add too, that corn used to be my favorite vegetable.

Ok I am going to forget about the corn for a long time to come. I am just trying to find something I can eat with my chicken or beef. I am also trying to find out how much all other April people are able to eat at a time. If I am way off then I will contact my surgeon office to see what they suggest. I so want to do this right and not end up malnurished. Thanks everyone. Michelle

I also had my surgery in April, and am only up to 4 tablespoons of food now. I had some problems with a bad stricture and was put back to full liquids, then pureed/soft foods for about a month, so I am not the best resource for how much we should be eating by now. I saw my dietition and bariatric nurse less than 2 weeks ago, and they did not seem to be concerned with how much I am eating.

I get really full after the 4 TBLS of food, so don't feel like I am ready to up it any time soon.

I'm 11 weeks out and have followed my Dr's instructions by the book... except for corn.... I did try some about a week or so ago.... just a few teaspoons cut off the cob with a little Brummel and old bay on it... oh my it was good and didn't cause me any issues at all - thank goodness! I had corn and 2 shrimp that were cooked on the grill... very yummy... :)

Another reason to approach corn VERY carefully is because of the skin. I ate some grapes a couple of months into my recovery and I had to go in to have it removed as the peel blocked the entrance to my pouch and everything I ate or drank came RIGHT BACK OUT! Now the skin on corn is very difficult to chew up which is why it appears whole on the other end. The corn center has been eaten but the skin remains intact and is then filled with "stuff" on the way out.. hence... whole niblets! so if the skin remains intact it too can block the entrance to your pouch. That is NO FUN and EXPENSIVE.

I am dying for some corn...my surgery was in Dec but I am scared to death to try it.

I had REAL corn in some white bean chicken chili for the first time last night and didnt have any problem with it.....which reminds me.....I LOVE WHITE BEAN CHICKEN CHILI......MMMMMMMMMM

Hi Jim! Did you make it or buy it? I like Ruby Tuesday's version and had a few bites of theirs the other day, but I'd love a good recipe to make myself this fall!

I had my surgery 4and 1/2 weeks ago and I been eating corn cause I crave it and I can eat up to 2 corn on cob and I'm fine I have problems with bread or pasta but chilli is. Y best friend I think I'm eating to much I don't know I have to see them tomorrow I'll let them know

19 minutes ago, Barbsleeve said:

I had my surgery 4and 1/2 weeks ago and I been eating corn cause I crave it and I can eat up to 2 corn on cob and I'm fine I have problems with bread or pasta but chilli is. Y best friend I think I'm eating to much I don't know I have to see them tomorrow I'll let them know

Corn has quite a bit of starch and carbs for you to eat this soon after surgery.  Bread and pasta are not good choices either.   If you start eating your proteins first you wont be able to eat that other stuff.  Your body needs the protein right now.  Good luck on your journey

I'm craving corn AND broccoli (cooked or grilled) really bad right now. But I'm not even going to attempt it until for another 3 months. Even then i'll probably not touch uncooked broccoli again.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:26 AM, TheJuice202 said:

I'm craving corn AND broccoli (cooked or grilled) really bad right now. But I'm not even going to attempt it until for another 3 months. Even then i'll probably not touch uncooked broccoli again.

You sound like you've got your head in the right place! Those will both be tough for you right now. I was able to do really mushy cooked broccoli at a couple of months out, but uncooked broccoli is on my no list still. It just does not go down right. Usually ends up with me regretting my choices.

On 7/2/2019 at 7:26 PM, TheJuice202 said:

One of my favourite foods is peeled, raw broccoli stems.  Sliced, grated or just munching on the whole thing.  Thankfully, my DH likes the florets so it's a win-win.

We weren't cleared for raw fruit and vegetables until 12 weeks post-op.