macguy

Stitch Pain 6 day post op.

Hi peeps!

I couldn't find any threads describing my type of pain so i thought i would ask.

I have the normal left side pain but it's not my cuts...there healing so well and i can even tap them with no pain what so ever.

BUT.....sometimes when im out of bed I get a massive stitch pain on my left side.....it's not my stomach i dont think.....it's my abdominal muscle like when u walk and you get a stitch...and i have to lie down straight away as the pain is so bad but goes away when i lie down. other times im u and walking around with no probs? so strange

is this normal? it's been happening for the past 3 days since i finished my pain meds.

Thanks!!! :)

Mac - pain on the left side that you describe is normal. It's where they put the big operating machine the cutter/stapler thing - not to mention that they swing the thing around a bit too.

I think that most will tell you that the pain in that area was the worst.

Make a point of telling your surgeon about it at your next visit if it's still bothering you - or sooner if it worsens.

Thanks Corrine, that helps alot. I was getting a little worried.

Yes that left side is where they do most of their work out of and it has the most muscle involvement so you will feel that pulling or sharp pains to that left side. I had that left side pain for about 2-3 weeks after surgery. Of course as time went on it lessened in intensity and at 4.5 weeks out now I just about don't feel it at all.

Yes that left side is where they do most of their work out of and it has the most muscle involvement so you will feel that pulling or sharp pains to that left side. I had that left side pain for about 2-3 weeks after surgery. Of course as time went on it lessened in intensity and at 4.5 weeks out now I just about don't feel it at all.

Thanx that reassuring....I just keeled over in pain in the lounge room and limped my way to bed screaming and as i hit the bed instant releif!

omg i cant wait that long i have to go back to work.... :( damn doctor he said i would be ok after a week or 2. hopefully it gets better quick....did u use pain meds? i might call him tomorrow and ask for a prescription for some meds...bloody strong ones.....im scared to have a shower incase it happens in there :(

congrats on ur weight loss so far!

Mac - I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try.

Lay on the bed and start kneading the area that's bothering you. I found that digging my fingers in and massaging as hard as I could tolerate helpful.

Mac - I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try.

Lay on the bed and start kneading the area that's bothering you. I found that digging my fingers in and massaging as hard as I could tolerate helpful.

That felt a bit better actually, must just be an irritated muscle I suppose....hot shower felt good but I had to stop half way and wait for aspirin to Kik in as it got worse.

Than for the advice u honestly have made me panic less as I thought omg this isn't normal. :)

That felt a bit better actually, must just be an irritated muscle I suppose....hot shower felt good but I had to stop half way and wait for aspirin to Kik in as it got worse.

Than for the advice u honestly have made me panic less as I thought omg this isn't normal. :)

Mac - NO ASPIRIN! It's an NSAID - they can cause ulcers and should never be taken after gastric bypass surgery.

Use an acetaminophen pain reliever.

Here's a list of things that can damage your pouch (might not be comprehensive).

Aches-N-Pain Advil Tablets & Caplets Aleve

Alka Seltzer Alka Seltzer Antacid/Tablets/Cold Anaprox

Advil

Alka Seltzer

Anacin

Ascriptin

Asprin

Anaprox DS Anacin Tablets/Caplets/Max. Strength

Ancid Ansaid

Arthritis Pain Formula Arthritis Strength Tri-Buffered Bufferin

A.S.A. Enseals Ascriptin A/D Caplets

Ascriptin

Ascriptin Extra Strength Caplets

Asperbuf

Aspergum Aspirin - all brands including childrens

BC Powder/Cold Powder Bufferin-Regular & Extra Strength Buffex

Befferin

Buffinol Cama Arthritis Strength

Cataflam

Celebrex

Clinoril Coumadin

Coricidin

Cortisone

Daypro

Dolobin

Disalcid Dipyridamole

Doan's Pills

Dolobid Easprin

Emperin

Excedrin

Empirin

Ecotrin Caplets/Tablets/Max. Strength

Excedrin/Any Type

Feldene Fiorinal

Feldene

Fioinol

Halfrin

Ibuprofen Ifen

Indocin

Ibuprofen

Indocin

Lodine Magnaprin

Maprin/Maprin 1-B

Measurin Mediprin

Midol Caplet/200

Mobigesic Motrin

Meclomen

Motrin

Nalfon

Naprosyn

Norgesic

Nalfon

Naprosyn Norwich Tablets Nuprin

Caplets/Tabs

Orudis P-A-C Analgesic

Pamprin

Persantine Pepto-Bismol /Any Type Ponstel

Relafen Rimadyl

Sal flex

Tolectin

Ticlid Tolectin

Tolmetin

Toradol Trendar

Trigesic

Ursinus Inlay/Tabs Vanquish Analgesic Voltaren

Vanquish

Vioxx

Warfarin Wesprin Buffered

Zorpin

Corrine is this only during recovery of the pouch? Or forever?

This is forever babe. Print out a copy of that list and carry it with you and make sure that your primary care knows you can't have NSAIDS too.

If you can take pills, I'd recommend Tylenol. If pills are a problem, look for Tylenol Extra Strength Pain Reliever & Fever Reducer, Liquid Cherry Flavor 8 fl oz (240 ml)

Walmart and most bigger pharmacies have it - this is what it looks like: Buy Tylenol Extra Strength Pain Reliever & Fever Reducer, Liquid Cherry Flavor Online at drugstore.com

A good alternative that'll save you money is to ask the pharmacist for a bottle of liquid acetaminophen - sugar free. They keep that behind the counter.

Cool will do! Wow I'm gonna miss my advil :(

Hey Corrine, if u don't mind me asking how long did ur pain last? I understand urs was a double procedure, but I was just curious compared to Mischele?

Thanx.

I only had the one procedure Mac - a RNY back in September 2007 but I had a bad umbilical hernia repaired at the same time so ended up with something like 8 port holes - two of them were very uncomfortable deep down - like the pain you described.

The horrible stitch type pain around the big port hole on the left was still annoying me at a month out. Not as bad and I didn't need any meds but it was still there and the absolute best thing was to give it a really hard rub with the tips of my fingers.

The second surgery in October 2008 was done as an emergency and it was open. I had an omental mass (fat around the intestines became adhesive), a bad gallbladder and my apendix had to come out too. And they had a load of adhesions to clean up.

I still have issues with adhesions but that's a risk of any abdominal surgery and not specific to a gastric bypass.

Apologies for posting about the Tylenol - I should have noticed that you are in Australia. Can you get it there?

Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is the same thing as Paracetamol. If you prefer a liquid - make sure it's really low in sugar - like the stuff for diabetics.

Thanx Corrine that's great help, I hope ur ok now after all that?

Yeah paracetamol works great, I bought soluble tablets. I was so happy this morning I was up for an hour walking about the house and only just now the pain hit me.

I'll get through it, just take time I guess.

I'm fine - the adhesions occasionally cause a problem because they can create a kink in the bowel and that brings pain but the longer I can avoid another surgery the better because it's just likely to create more adhesions than it cures anyway. And sometimes, these things clear up on their own anyway.

The only thing I'm dealing with is a drop in my weight again - no rhyme nor reason that I can figure out.

Most people have adhesions following surgery - they just don't usually cause issues.

Your pain will pass but it's always worth mentioning things like that to your surgeon/doc.

Edited by cinwa

hi macguy, i read your post about the "stitch" pain that you had about a month ago and i was wondering how you were feeling. my surgery was on june 28 and i am in so much pain! mine feels like a pulling muscle when i stand up and then i get an awful burning sensation. i too have to lie down immediately for relief. i am still taking pain meds but i am left wondering if this will ever go away!

hi macguy, i read your post about the "stitch" pain that you had about a month ago and i was wondering how you were feeling. my surgery was on june 28 and i am in so much pain! mine feels like a pulling muscle when i stand up and then i get an awful burning sensation. i too have to lie down immediately for relief. i am still taking pain meds but i am left wondering if this will ever go away!

Hi there. I had my surgery a week before you did. When I was at your stage a week ago, I felt just like what you've described. I think that as the swelling started to go down, the stitches began to pull in new ways. Today I finally have had some real relief and almost no pain unless I bend toward my left knee. It does take some time, but you should feel better really soon.

Hi kriseablue, It's a horrible pain isn't it! It gets you so down you finally get home from the hospital and then you move 2 meters and you have to lie down again....but I have to say, I lived with it as Corrine advised and 7 days after surgery I started to notice the pain getting a little bit more livable.....mind you the pulling pain was still bringing me to tears...but I hit 12 days and somehow it feels like a miracle I have never felt the pain again! Strange I know but not even a little it just disapeared! Tylenol did nothing for me but give it a go, honestly I felt the same! I felt like it will be like this for the rest of my life....honestly it helped coming on here whining about it.. lol it's good therapy :) I found massaging the area didn't help the pain but it helped me feel like i was doing something rather than just lying there.

Don't do stupid things like I did, I would go grocery shopping with my mom and I was stuck in a stitch pain the the vegetable section i had to lie down on the dirty floor...wasn't fun.....just stay home till you feel better :)

It's such a great time when the pain goes away you feel like you are re-born! :) hang in there.

thanks guys :D just knowing that others have had the same symptoms and lived makes me feel better! how are you all doing weight wise? I was losing steady for two weeks but nothing since monday :confused:

I am 27 pounds down since my surgery date :)

35 so far, after the pain stopped I could finally get back to the gym and help the weight fall off :)

I know this is an old post, but i couldnt find anything else on it.  i had surgery 10 days ago and didnt have pain in my side until now, after leaving hopsital i had been fine, now i have this stitch like pain in my left side, was thinkign maybe i had drunk too much fluids and caused a leak, has anyone else had the pain develop at nearly 2 weeks post op?