Mushy recipes?

ChloeFergus

Hi, Folks -- is there anywhere on the Forum where mushy recipes are posted? I know it's only 2 weeks, but after 4 weeks of liquids I so want something that tastes decent.... I'm going to experiment with chicken in the food processor tonight, but just thought I'd look around for inspiration. I'm not gonna make it on scrambled eggs, cottage cheese & yogurt. And I'm SICK of soups! Thanks. :D

My wife and I both enjoyed the following:

A scoop of lowfat ricotta with a little spaghetti sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan. Put in the micro and heat it up! It's like Lasagna without the noodles.

Also, we like fat free refried beans with a little shredded cheddar, but then add a packet of Taco Bell taco sauce (can be mild or medium--I wouldn't do the hot yet!) and it tastes just like Taco Bell beans and cheese!

I also liked cottage cheese mixed with sugar free strawberry jelly just after my surgery. I still eat it often.

Can you eat Grits or oatmeal? I liked them too! (I love me some Grits!)

Good luck...you'll be onto better foods soon!

-Mike

Hi, Mike:

I meant to say thanks a LONG time ago -- my son has been hogging the computer and I finally got a laptop so I can get online anytime now. Yay!

Wanted to let you know that I've tried the ricotta/lasagna-ish and the refried beans/cheese/taco sauce recipes now. Love them both, especially the beans. I'm a huge fan of spicy & mexican in general. I added a little salsa to the beans 1st and used pretty hot sauce (my tummy can handle) and it was so yum~! I haven't tried the jelly/cottage cheese yet, in general I don't like sweets much. I can have grits, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc. I have a nice maple & sugar protein oatmeal that I'm starting to eat, it's pretty good. I love grits too but I'm staying away from them & cream of wheat in an effort to get more protein in.

I'm interested in the fact that nobody at my WLS center ever mentioned cheese in any discussion, lecture, printed guidelines, etc. about recommended diet. I LOVE cheese (way too much), but I'm just wondering why they never mentioned it. Obviously, it can be high in fat and calories, but it does have protein. Probably something that gets abused (like peanut butter & carbs) but tell me yes, no, moderation, etc. Strange not to mention, right?

Anyway, thanks again! I'm looking at 5 more days of mushies (yuck) and then REAL food, yay, then my 1st fill 2 weeks after that. My birthday is tomorrow and I want steak... But I guess I'll have to wait. All things in good time!

ChloeFergus:D

I've been adding protein powder to my oatmeal--12g of protein. I use Pure whey and I mix it with a little water and allow it to totally dissolve before adding it to my oatmeal. I can't taste it.

I love me some cheese. I eat ricotta and cottage often--but after I started eating solid food after surgery...I ate those mozzarella cheese sticks everyday for lunch with a few crackers. Crackers weren't the greatest choice...but I'm 181 pounds down--so it must not have been too bad!

I also thought I had died and gone to heaven when, at about 3 months out, I had a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. (Sugar Free jelly though) I still love the PB&J and PB and Banana.

I gotta stop talking about food now, though, it's making my head want to eat!

Good luck!

-Mike

I just started the pureed/mushy foods today. I believe I figured I would have to do this until around the 4th of July, so I will take any ideas. In my information was a few recipes, and one of them was similar to the Ricotta you mentioned. I already got the stuff to make it. They encourage melted cheese, as it adds moisture and has protein. I can't wait to eat cheese sticks. LOVE THOSE!!!!

• 4 months later...
Hi, Folks -- is there anywhere on the Forum where mushy recipes are posted? I know it's only 2 weeks, but after 4 weeks of liquids I so want something that tastes decent.... I'm going to experiment with chicken in the food processor tonight, but just thought I'd look around for inspiration. I'm not gonna make it on scrambled eggs, cottage cheese & yogurt. And I'm SICK of soups! Thanks. :D

If you can have scrambled eggs and all that, you can have mashed potatos and lunch meats!

I, personally am at this point and I make a mean omelette! I cook eggs, cut it in half, put a slice of cheese on top, put a slice of ham (to turkey) on top of the cheese and place the other half of the eggs on top and cook until the cheese melts, take under 5 minutes and it is AMAZING! haha.

• 6 months later...

Mike,

THANKS SO MUCH for the Ricotta and sauce idea!!! I made this last night and LOVE it!!! I baked noodles for my hubby and he ate it with noodles!!! I feel like I am coming back in to the "norm" with this recipe!!

Thanks again, I am using different techinques for the mushie stage that seem to be working! I am tolerating everything OK~

Joleen