trnslationlost

Need help with tonight's choice!

I am going out to eat at a restaurant with plenty of fish and chicken options. I just don't know what would be best for me at 4 months out. I am able to eat 1/4 cup, with mostly protein, but some starch/veggie/fruit is allowed.

Does pan seared mean oil? What would you order? How should I ask for it to be prepared?

Oak City Restaurant — Brooklyn Center, MN | Bloomington, MN Menus

I am usually very excited to make these decisions, but I'm experiencing a minor brain fart. I am also a little bored with the Mexican-inspired Salmon dishes :/

I haven't a clue if pan seared means oil or not. Hopefully someone else will come along that knows. You can also ask lots of lots of questions when you're there.

I don't see nutritional info on this website, unless I'm just not looking in the right place. But it looks like there are chicken and fish dishes that should be fine. Be wary of sauces, though, because sometimes those contain a lot of sugar that you wouldn't expect.

Kelly

Be wary of sauces, though, because sometimes those contain a lot of sugar that you wouldn't expect.

Kelly

Yes, I usually avoid those. I actually may bring one of my own in my purse :o

I think I could probably have them grill the ahi tuna a bit and have that with the wasabi, no?

Yes, I usually avoid those. I actually may bring one of my own in my purse :o

I think I could probably have them grill the ahi tuna a bit and have that with the wasabi, no?

That's probably work.

Kelly

For me, I'd order either the Asian Chicken Salad (dressing on the side) or the meatloaf. Most meatloaf is soft and moist enough for me that it is a safe bet.. and for some reason, post op, I love the stuff. lol. I had meatloaf from my favorite res. last evening and it is so huge that for 12.00/ I'll have four meals from it! :) It had to be more than a lb of food, not counting the salad or sides!

For me, I'd order either the Asian Chicken Salad (dressing on the side) or the meatloaf. Most meatloaf is soft and moist enough for me that it is a safe bet.. and for some reason, post op, I love the stuff. lol. I had meatloaf from my favorite res. last evening and it is so huge that for 12.00/ I'll have four meals from it! :) It had to be more than a lb of food, not counting the salad or sides!

Don't you love making a meal into 4? Amazing!

Most meatloaf is soft and moist enough for me that it is a safe bet.. and for some reason, post op, I love the stuff. lol. I had meatloaf from my favorite res. last evening and it is so huge that for 12.00/ I'll have four meals from it! :) It had to be more than a lb of food, not counting the salad or sides!

Good idea on the meatloaf! Yummmm.... Plus, if I ask for them to omit the side dishes, they usually lop a couple bucks off the bill for me too!

Pan searing generally means to cook in a pan on high heat so that you get a nice crust. Sometimes the pan will be put in the oven to finish the cooking process.

They use a bit of oil but you could ask them to cut back as much as possible.

having seared a few chunks of meat in my culinary life...

Pan seared usually has a very negligible amount of fat onthe finished product. First off, the pan should be elevated to near SMOKING before the oil hits the pan. When the oil lands in the pan, it should shimmer and smoke. then the meat goes on, whether it's a pork chop, steak, chicken or fish...and don't move it. just lay it in, and let it stick. the oil will help cook it, and the water escaping from the meat will drive the oil away from the meat anyway.

don't move or flip the meat till it comes loose on its own, and then flipping it repeats the process. If the meat is too thick to finish off on the stovetop without burning, it's then transferred to the oven. Tuna usually needs no additional heat, just 5 miins on a side. Steak...depends on how you like them. Me personaly, pittsburgh rare (burned outside, cold center) is my fave but the wife won't even watch me eat it that way LOL

in the end...even if they are a little over zealous with the oil, the finished product won't have a ton of oil on it. tell them you don't want the pan drippings...they will usually deglaze the pan and reduce for a "sauce" but this then guarantees you will get the leftover oil on your plate. Again, not a huge deal unless they put a quart cup of oil in the pan (usually it's just a tbsp or so.

holy cow...i've had too much coffee this morning. I'll shut up now.:D

Personally, I would go for the grilled salmon. You never know what might be lurking inside that meatloaf....