Lost the ability to throw-up?

Michie

I've concluded that I've lost the abilty to vomit after my surgery (9 months ago). I haven't thrown-up since the surgery, and there have been at least a couple times when I needed to. The other night I was sick. My mouth began to salvate and my tummy began to jerk. I ran to the bathroom only to get dry heaves. Painful! I CAN NOT vomit anymore.

Has anyone else experienced this after gastric bypass? :confused:

I didn't vomit at all after my surgery. It was almost a year before I actually puked. I do remember though after my surgery I felt sick, but I had trouble puking because it hurt so bad dry heaving. Eventually though I did end up puking my brains out.

I'm 3 months post op and thought I had lost the ability to vomit. There had ben a couple of instances where I was sure I was going to but it was just the gut wrenching dry heaves. Last week though I was in the hospital with a bad kidney infection and vomited 3 times in a matter of about 60 minutes. It was pretty bad, but better than the dry heaves i had experienced in the past.

I seem to be the opposite.

I am able to vomit no problem now and I am 3 months out. As soon as I get a slightly uncomfortable feeling all I have to do is think I am sick and up it comes. So strange. :rolleyes:

I haven't thrown up since surgery.

Like David, I'd rather do that than have the foamies.

I seem to be the opposite.

I am able to vomit no problem now and I am 3 months out. As soon as I get a slightly uncomfortable feeling all I have to do is think I am sick and up it comes. So strange. :rolleyes:

This was me the first year .. I could just go in and squeeze my tummy and out it came.. over and done .. :) thank God .. cause the foamies are awful and I would rather puke that deal with those for 45 minutes... lately though seems I cant do that naymore .. I ate a dang raw carrot and it liked to have killed me with the foamies.. then finally came out ...

me too.. i get the salavation and dry heeves but nothing else! Even during morning sickness.. i got horrible stomach pains, but nothing ever came up.

I wish I didn't puke. I power vomit. No lie. I was actually asked what the difference was pre / post op. Pre surgery it was like it took forever to come up, post op it has the power of turbo. I best be ready because there is no holding it down, not even for a moment.

cheers'

Kimber~

I have increased my abilty to... I can just think "puke, puke, puke" while sitting in front of the potty and out it comes... and the few times that dosnt work, I just drink a few oz of something fast and out it all comes. :eek:

LOL! I'm sorry, but it's just funny that we can all come on here and talk about how we vomit and it's not odd to us.

I don't have any problems...if I get too full or something gets stuck the foamies make me throw up, the papaya enzymes help it along sometimes too.

LOL! I'm sorry, but it's just funny that we can all come on here and talk about how we vomit and it's not odd to us.

You should have been here a few years back..you can't believe the stuff we used to discuss :eek:

so this vomitting and dry heaving how is it compared to if you had a stomach virus before surgery? Does the pain and problem last this long? does it feel this bad?

My problem is similar. If I've eaten something unsuitable, I'll sometimes get the awful nauseous feeling like I'm going to throw up. I'll run to the bathroom and spit out the saliva that forms in my mouth. I usually have the dry heaves, and nothing comes up. On the very few occasions when I actually managed to vomit, I ended up busting the blood vessels around my eyes because of the extreme pressure.

Prior to surgery, I used to vomit standing up and bending over from the waist. Now, I've found that kneeling close to the toilet works much better...must be something about the position of my stomach, intestines, etc.

I can only hope that I never get the stomach flu again. Can you imagine the pain from that if you can't vomit properly? :eek:

Usually I feel like I'm going to puke for about 30 seconds and then I just puke and it's over. I feel fine. This last time though...I had a little bit of red velvet cake...I got hot, I wanted to throw up, I felt terrible. And then I was really sensitive to everything for the next two days.

Prior to last week (when it happened) I've just thrown up and felt better immediately...no crabby pouch...nada.

Nope, I have been a puking fool since surgery. In fact, I had a piece of unruly toast that went down the wrong way the other morning and puked into my nice clean sweater while I was driving down the freeway so ended up I freezing my butt off all day :rolleyes:

• 11 years later...

If you can believe it... I’m 16 years post op and I stillllllll don’t barf! Three times ever in 16 years! I wonder why???

6 hours ago, Judster said:

If you can believe it... I’m 16 years post op and I stillllllll don’t barf! Three times ever in 16 years! I wonder why???

I cant either and was told it was normal.  Not sure how others do after a bypass.

• 3 months later...

I have the same issue. I get to feeling like I need to throw up and all that comes up is bile.  I've asked the doctors office about this and they don't know why.  What's up with that if so many of us are experiencing this.