SkinnyKari10

How much time between multivitamin and calcium?

I thought I read somewhere that we should space out our calcium and our multivitamins and not take the two together. I can't find where I think I read that, but I admit there's been so much in my mind in the last week that I may be confusing it with something else. Anyone know? Thanks!

I think you mean iron and calcium. I was told not to take those two together and generally leave 4 hours between taking them.:)

I was told not to take mine together, so I take my multi-vitamin first thing in the morning with my protein shake and then the calcium starts with my breakfast an hour after that.

I was told not to take mine together, so I take my multi-vitamin first thing in the morning with my protein shake and then the calcium starts with my breakfast an hour after that.

Were you told why you couldn't take your multi and calcium together? My doctor told me iron and calcium were to be taken separately, but didn't say anything about the multi. I've been taking the calcium and multi together for the past year!:eek:

Since my multi vitamine has some iron in it I take them at least 1-2 hour apart.

I have always wondered if the small amount of Iron in the Multi would collide with my calcium so I did not want to take the chance.

Right now I only take B 12 1 X a week but Going to discuss with Doctor next month.

I am also thinking of starting Omega III. Don't need Iron as I am already post menopause.

Here is my usual ritual

6:00 am

2 Caltrate Petites (400 mg per two dose) first thing in morning.

Plum Smart and Miralx

(Please note I just started non chewables calcium at 4 months with my Nut approval)

8:00 AM

Centrum Multi Vitamin

Breakfast

12:00 noon

2 Caltrate Petites (400 mg)

Lunch

3:00 pm

1 caltrate (200 mg)

Snack - always protein

6:00

Dinner

7:30 -8:00

Snack

Multi Vitamin

10:00

2 Caltrate petites (400 mg)

Edited by maria2B

If your multi has iron in it, you need to take it at least two hours away from your calcium.

If you multi does not have iron in it, you can take it with your calcium.

Kelly

Since my multi vitamine has some iron in it I take them at least 1-2 hour apart.

I have always wondered if the small amount of Iron in the Multi would collide with my calcium so I did not want to take the chance.

Right now I only take B 12 1 X a week but Going to discuss with Doctor next month.

I am also thinking of starting Omega III. Don't need Iron as I am already post menopause.

Here is my usual ritual

6:00 am

2 Caltrate Petites (400 mg per two dose) first thing in morning.

Plum Smart and Miralx

(Please note I just started non chewables calcium at 4 months with my Nut approval)

8:00 AM

Centrum Multi Vitamin

Breakfast

12:00 noon

2 Caltrate Petites (400 mg)

Lunch

3:00 pm

1 caltrate (200 mg)

Snack - always protein

6:00

Dinner

7:30 -8:00

Snack

Multi Vitamin

10:00

2 Caltrate petites (400 mg)

Do you mean Citracal petites? I'm not sure if Caltrate makes petites. If they do, though, you don't want to take them. Caltrate is calcium carbonate and we need calcium citrate. You will not absorb calcium carbonate.

Even though the amount of iron in your multi is small, you don't want to take it with your calcium. It's not that the iron collides with the calcium, it's that the calcium blocks the iron from being absorbed. If it's a very small amount of calcium, it doesn't do that. That's why many multis contain both iron and calcium. But if you're taking about 300 mg calcium or more, it blocks the iron from being absorbed.

Kelly

Do you mean Citracal petites? I'm not sure if Caltrate makes petites. If they do, though, you don't want to take them. Caltrate is calcium carbonate and we need calcium citrate. You will not absorb calcium carbonate.

Even though the amount of iron in your multi is small, you don't want to take it with your calcium. It's not that the iron collides with the calcium, it's that the calcium blocks the iron from being absorbed. If it's a very small amount of calcium, it doesn't do that. That's why many multis contain both iron and calcium. But if you're taking about 300 mg calcium or more, it blocks the iron from being absorbed.

Kelly

Yes Citrical. Duhhhhh

Yes Citrical. Duhhhhh

I thought that's what you meant. I don't know why they gave those names that are so similar. I just wanted to make sure you weren't taking the wrong stuff.

Kelly

Kelly

I'm gonna have to make a good schedule for my vitamins. It's so hard to get them all in when you have to space them out so far. I take Centrum Chewables, and I'm sure those have some iron in them but I'm not sure how much without looking at the bottle. I take calcium citrate capsules that are 500 mg each and I do take them seperately. I take an extra iron with my multivitan so I guess I'm on the right track. I can't remember where I read that you shouldn't take calcium together with your muliti, but it probably was linked by the iron not getting absorbed.

How much calcium can our bodies absorb at a time? Can I take 2 500 mg of calcium when I take it? I just want to make sure I can absorb everything I take but spacing them out over the day, I am having trouble remembering everything.

I'm gonna have to make a good schedule for my vitamins. It's so hard to get them all in when you have to space them out so far. I take Centrum Chewable s, and I'm sure those have some iron in them but I'm not sure how much without looking at the bottle. I take calcium citrate capsules that are 500 mg each and I do take them separately. I take an extra iron with my multivitan so I guess I'm on the right track. I can't remember where I read that you shouldn't take calcium together with your muliti, but it probably was linked by the iron not getting absorbed.

How much calcium can our bodies absorb at a time? Can I take 2 500 mg of calcium when I take it? I just want to make sure I can absorb everything I take but spacing them out over the day, I am having trouble remembering everything.

I was told that we can only absorb 500 mg at one time. So you should not be taking more than 500 mg one time. That is what it says in my bariactrics book.

But look to see if the 500 mg is per 2 capsules. Check the servings

Also like Kelly stated make sure it is Calcium Citrate and not Carbonate. We cannot take carbonate.

Edited by maria2B

I was never told not to take my multi-vitamin and calcium at the same time! Grrrr...at my 3 month check up my iron was low so I was put on a suppliment. Yet again, nothing said about not taking it with calcium. When I had my six month blood work done my iron was back up but i've still been taking my calcium and multi-vitamin together in the morning. Why on earth wouldn't a nutritionist tell us these important things? I have my six month nut appt this coming Friday so i'll be asking about that. Thanks!

I was never told not to take my multi-vitamin and calcium at the same time! Grrrr...at my 3 month check up my iron was low so I was put on a suppliment. Yet again, nothing said about not taking it with calcium. When I had my six month blood work done my iron was back up but i've still been taking my calcium and multi-vitamin together in the morning. Why on earth wouldn't a nutritionist tell us these important things? I have my six month nut appt this coming Friday so i'll be asking about that. Thanks!

I have not the slightest idea why they wouldn't tell you things like that. I do encourage you to ask why they didn't tell you. Because they certainly should.

Kelly

I'm gonna have to make a good schedule for my vitamins. It's so hard to get them all in when you have to space them out so far. I take Centrum Chewables, and I'm sure those have some iron in them but I'm not sure how much without looking at the bottle. I take calcium citrate capsules that are 500 mg each and I do take them seperately. I take an extra iron with my multivitan so I guess I'm on the right track. I can't remember where I read that you shouldn't take calcium together with your muliti, but it probably was linked by the iron not getting absorbed.

We can absorb about 500 mg calcium at one time. Are you sure your calcium capsules are 500 mg each? Often the bottle say 500 mg per serving but if you look, it says a serving is two pills.

Kelly

I was told that we can only absorb 500 mg at one time. So you should not be taking more than 500 mg one time. That is what it says in my bariactrics book.

But look to see if the 500 mg is per 2 capsules. Check the servings

Also like Kelly stated make sure it is Calcium Citrate and not Carbonate. We cannot take carbonate.

Yep, calcium citrate. One pill is 500 mg. I take three a day, spaced out to breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I take my multivitamin, iron, and biotin first, then I wait a few hours and take my calcium seperate.

How long do you actually need to wait before taking calcium after iron?

They didn't tell us about the Multi either just the iron and calcium and I too was taking them together. Then I started checking what the multi had in it and discovered it had iron so I started to take them apart.

I really do not need Iron, but don't want to ruin the small amount that I do get from my multi.

But my Nut never said anything about the multi either. I am going to bring this up in our Support meeting this month.

Thanks Kelly for explaining the Iron vs the calcium. I could not remember why just knew it was a no no.

I really appreciate your information. You have provided me with more info than my Nut has. I really appreciate all of your knowledge. You should become a Nuitrionist. Really, I think you would be great.

Yep, calcium citrate. One pill is 500 mg. I take three a day, spaced out to breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I take my multivitamin, iron, and biotin first, then I wait a few hours and take my calcium seperate.

Two hours.

Kelly

They didn't tell us about the Multi either just the iron and calcium and I too was taking them together. Then I started checking what the multi had in it and discovered it had iron so I started to take them apart.

I really do not need Iron, but don't want to ruin the small amount that I do get from my multi.

But my Nut never said anything about the multi either. I am going to bring this up in our Support meeting this month.

Thanks Kelly for explaining the Iron vs the calcium. I could not remember why just knew it was a no no.

I really appreciate your information. You have provided me with more info than my Nut has. I really appreciate all of your knowledge. You should become a Nuitrionist. Really, I think you would be great.

I think it would be fun, really. And my partner would probably like it because then I could all day talking to someone besides him about calcium and vitamins and stuff. I don't want to go back to school, though.

Kelly

Two hours.

Kelly

ok :)

This thread has been very helpful. Thanks guys~

I think it would be fun, really. And my partner would probably like it because then I could all day talking to someone besides him about calcium and vitamins and stuff. I don't want to go back to school, though.

Kelly

Well, you can preach to me, I'll listen! LOL

Ok...guess I'm good. My Celebrate multi doesn't have iron in it. Thank goodness! :)

Kari - what brand of calcium citrate are you taking? That must be one mega horsepill to have 500mg calcium in it.

Kari - what brand of calcium citrate are you taking? That must be one mega horsepill to have 500mg calcium in it.

It's a brand called Nature's Science. Each capsul contains 500 mg of calcium citrate, 250 mg of magnesium, and 200 IU of vitamin D. I take three a day to acheive my 1500 mg of calcium. The capsul melts and I swirl it around in my mouth the get the "melting" process started but have had NO problems at all with them.

I get them at a local vitamin/body building shop. The owner and his wife have hundreds of bariatric patients and have tailored the vitamins and protein to meet the requirements we need. He even gives bariatrica patients a discount. The hospital where I had my surgery even recommended him.

I am curious as to what brands of Calcium Citrate people are taking.

I was choking down the pills the doctor gave me-one was a mint flavor, after rejecting the lemon and chocolate chews for the artificial flavoring. But I resented them because I did not like the taste.

Right now I taking Calcium Magneseum Citrate liquid twice a day. Total of about 2,000mg.

Have yet to see what my blood tests say.

I use Celebrate ENS, which gives me 1000 mg calcium per day. For the other 500 mg calcium citrate, I use Upcal D. It's a powder you can add to any drink. It has no taste.

What brand of liquid are you using?

Kelly