mjune

A question for teachers.

Hello, I have my surgery tentatively scheduled for mid June pending a visit with my surgeon in two weeks. I am thankful to have the 8 weeks or so of recovery time before returning to work, but I'm curious about how a few aspects of returning to work will play out. As teachers we are on such a rigid eating and bathroom schedule. I am worried about the possibility of dumping at school or of simply having enough time to eat. I'm wondering how others have dealt with these issues. Also, without getting too graphic, how do bathroom habits change post-surgery? Will this be manageable within the framework of a bell-schedule kind of existence? (I teach high school.)

mjune

Great question. I am an elementary teacher and I am scheduled for RNY on June 15. My schedule is not as rigid as yours in HS, however, it is sometimes really hard for me to get to the restroom too.:eek: Usually right after my 30(really 25 minute) lunch. I am hoping that an aid or coworker will be able to watch my class if I have issues during the day! I am hoping that by the time I go back to work in August that I will have all the eating/drinking bugs worked out!

I plan on having my surgery now over the summer and also teach school. A friend of mine had the surgery two years ago and does the same job I do at the other elementary school in our district. She would eat a small meal at her desk and explained to the students that she had to eat at specific times during the day. As far at the bathroom breaks she had parent volunteers in her room all day. I am lucky and have a teacher across the hall from me that will watch the kids when I have to run to the bathroom.

I'm not a teacher, yet. However, I am doing observations in high school, and when my teacher needs to leave to do something, she has another teacher keep an ear on her class. I would say make sure that teachers in neighboring rooms know... And is your principal supportive in general? Why not let the school support staff know that you have some "medical issues" (or just tell them about the surgery, that's your prerogative) and that you might find an occasion to need someone to watch your class.

I'd really like to keep my surgery to myself for now. I know the administration and other staff would be super supportive, but I'm feeling very private about this. Thanks everyone for your ideas.

I would think you will have more than enough time...if u are afraid of how long it will take you to eat during school...plan on a protein drink for lunch while working- then head to the bathroom half way through until you get your routine down. I would def. avoid ANY new foods during school- keep those new introductions for when you are home.

good luck- and enjoy the expressions on EVERYONES face when you return to school in the fall -smaller, happier and healthier!

Hi! I am a high school teacher. I had my surgery November 16, returned to work December 7. My students have been incredibly supportive, and completely understanding. In fact, they are my biggest cheerleaders! Anyway, as far as all your questions - dumping at school - has never happened - just don't eat anything unfamiliar, and you won't have an issue. As for bathroom issues - if anything I go more INfrequently, so its less of an issue than it was pre-surgery. On the rare occasion that I have to leave my room for the bathroom, I can always stick my head in my neighbor's classroom to keep an eye on my kids. At this point, I keep a snack on my desk - the kids are used to it - they know what I've gone through and don't even bat an eye when I have a piece of string cheese while they're working on their homework. They're even Nazis about making sure I am drinking water!

If you're coming back 8 weeks out, you'll be totally fine. No worries!

Good luck!

Tina

Thanks for your comments Tina. I still haven't decided whether or not to tell anybody at work, let alone the students. We'll see. It still doesn't even feel real to me yet. My pre-op appts. are all this week. Maybe after all that, and when I've got the green light from my surgeon, I'll feel like I can actually start making some plans. I'm glad to hear though that your potty trips are reduced in number. If that's the case, it'll be manageable. I'll just make sure to pack my own lunches - which I already do, so no biggee there.

We'll have to keep track of each other. I'm an elementary teacher hoping to have surgery this summer as well. :)

Too funny. Maybe we should start our own group - "Teachers losing this summer" or something like that. I have all my pre-op stuff next week and after it's done, I hope to have a date - barring any unexpected finds that delay things. I'm hoping for the second week of June. I want to have as much summer ahead of me as possible after surgery. When is everyone else scheduled?

I had my surgery during spring break last year. I can't say things were super easy when I went back, but much easier than expected. The only thing that changed about my bathroom habits was going more because I was drinking more water, but that has fixed itself this year and I pretty much have a schedule. I did have one mishap when I tried to have some chicken for lunch and it didn't go down, so I had to run to the bathroom during my class, but I just signaled the teacher next door, did what I needed to do and got back to work.

The students were great. I decided to be very open and honest about it with them. I am teaching psychology and sociology this year too, and it has been quite the topic of conversation during some of our lessons, it's kind of cool.

I think if you are having the procedure done during the summer, you will have no problems once you get back to work.

Good Luck, I'm excited for you!

Lori

Hi Lori,

Wow, we even teach the same subjects. Thanks for all your help. I have my date - June 14, wuhooo!

June 15 :D Counting down the days. It will be nice to share progress/stories with ya!:)

I am an elementary teacher and I had surgery one week ago and plan to go back next week. My students know I had surgery- to explain the absense, but I did not go into details. My administration and staff havae been supportive and encouraging. Once I hace returned lunch was a concern. I spoke to my dietician and she suggusted sticking with foods that were secure foods". I'll repost when I have been back at work.:D:D

Lorilee how are you feeling? I can't believe you are going back so soon. You should be completely recovered by summer - yahoo!

Lorilee, How are you feeling? How are you doing back at work! :confused:

I am a high school teacher, as well. I had surgery a week before Christmas break and returned after the break. That gave me 3 weeks to recover. The staff and students knew about my condition, and were very supportive. I just go to the bathroom in between classes. My students know to wait outside for me....I wish you the best of luck!

I am good. First post op visit went well and I have a ton of energy. I am looking forward to being back at work. I have missed my kids. I don't know what they will think when I return. My team and school nurse are fully informed and ready to support me. I took a risk having the surgery now, but I am lucky my insurance and all came through quickly and everything fell into place. I decided that with abour 50 days sick leave accrued, I should just do it. I am thrilled and am going back to finish the year, refreshed and renewed. Teachers do it when you can...don't wait. Do it for yourself. I really feel ready to return, but I took Thursday and Friday to plan an prep for the week and take a day to beautify myself-pedi, mani, and wax tomorrow.

TODAY IS THE DAY:D

I'm so glad you're doing well!!!

I'm a teacher too! I'm hoping to have the surgery early August.

It would be fun to have a teacher group! I teach band, travel between 3 schools each day, and have grades 5 - 12. I am also working on my EdD in a very intense program. We are required to be on campus for classes from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m for 10 days during the summer. This year I will report on June 24. By the time my insurance would approve me, the earliest surgery date available was June 7. I have been so worried that I would not be ready by June 24. Today they called and asked if I would like to reschedule for May 17. At first I was scared, thought I'd say no, but I decided yes -- I will do it. That is so close to the end of the year that it won't matter. I had scheduled the concert and band banquet during the month of April just in case, so it will be fine.

It would be fun to have a teacher group! I teach band, travel between 3 schools each day, and have grades 5 - 12. I am also working on my EdD in a very intense program. We are required to be on campus for classes from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m for 10 days during the summer. This year I will report on June 24. By the time my insurance would approve me, the earliest surgery date available was June 7. I have been so worried that I would not be ready by June 24. Today they called and asked if I would like to reschedule for May 17. At first I was scared, thought I'd say no, but I decided yes -- I will do it. That is so close to the end of the year that it won't matter. I had scheduled the concert and band banquet during the month of April just in case, so it will be fine.

I was a Choir teacher...until I moved to this forsaken place! I am moving again this summer...I'm praying I get a music position!

Things are so tough for teachers these days, and us specialty areas are sometimes at a great disadvantage, for they do not need as many. I wish you luck with getting a job. I hope this EdD will open some doors for me, as my present situation is not great, either. I love my kids though -- love, love, love them.

Hey y'all, I've been thinking about how many of us are having surgery (or have already done so) this summer and how to help each other get ready for the school year. How about posting ideas for lunches at school? One of my biggest fears is dumping, getting the foamies, or getting sick at school. I know we will all respond differently to a certain extent, but maybe we can help each other with ideas for lunches that will provide a bit more variety. Anybody game?

I have a teacher friends that had it done two summers ago. She and I are meeting tomorrow afternoon so I can ask her questions. She had her surgery as soon as school got out like I am doing so I figure she would be a good one to ask.