ridgetop01

Does everyone throw up after?

Recommended Posts

I didn't throw up the first five years; now I do about once a day.  I throw up so fast I often don't make it to the bathroom.  I don't know exactly why I throw up.  I did have a major life threatening complication 4 years ago but this started after that surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ncblueyes said:

I didn't throw up the first five years; now I do about once a day.  I throw up so fast I often don't make it to the bathroom.  I don't know exactly why I throw up.  I did have a major life threatening complication 4 years ago but this started after that surgery.

In honesty, daily throwing up is not normal and as that is happening to you on a daily basis, I'd urge you to make an appointment with your PCP as soon as possible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not normal and may indicate a serious problem. Please see your doctor soon on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

July 3, 2018 will be three months post op for me. I have never thrown up yet! I never feel full or nor am I hungry after my meals. I'm down 60 pounds, eat about 700-800 calories per day with 70-75 grams protein. I walk 3 miles everyday. Would new techniques in surgery have changed since this thread started in 2010? Was my surgeons nuttrion guide made all the difference? I eat fresh fruit and salad along with my protein. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Anita62 said:

July 3, 2018 will be three months post op for me. I have never thrown up yet! I never feel full or nor am I hungry after my meals. I'm down 60 pounds, eat about 700-800 calories per day with 70-75 grams protein. I walk 3 miles everyday. Would new techniques in surgery have changed since this thread started in 2010? Was my surgeons nuttrion guide made all the difference? I eat fresh fruit and salad along with my protein. 

I'm 7 months post op and I have not thrown up at all since surgery. It was something I dreaded so much and it hasn't been an issue. I have had dumping a couple of times (I think?) but it's more like stomach cramping and feeling really tired - I don't throw up. I think surgery has changed somewhat, but I think a bigger change has happened with the nutrition knowledge and advice we're given. My sister had surgery 15 years ago and the diet she was on was vastly different. She had lots of issues with throwing up. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I'm not sure if your surgeon does this, but my clinic puts everyone on an acid blocker regimen for a year post-op. That was something they didn't do years ago that they do now and I wonder if that was a contributing factor to throwing up more in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were put on Prilosec (a PPI) straight out for surgery (back in 2007) and I had no issue with acid or throwing up.  In fact, I still haven't vomited. 

I had the foamies over a piece of unchewed strawberry but that's not the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just assumed I'd be one of those people who DIDN'T throw up since I have always had a pretty much iron stomach. Nope. I throw up with some regularity - but I'm usually aware of what the culprit was, and it's meat or fish, generally speaking, sometimes raw veggies. I'm disappointed to be one of the pukers, but I've been really lucky in just about every other aspect of life post-op, so I guess I'll take it. It's not the worst thing ever, and it does remind me to be careful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cinwa said:

We were put on Prilosec (a PPI) straight out for surgery (back in 2007) and I had no issue with acid or throwing up.  In fact, I still haven't vomited. 

I had the foamies over a piece of unchewed strawberry but that's not the same.

I wonder when that started to be a regular thing. My sister had surgery in 2003 and her surgeon didn't put her on one. She was on something over the counter the last few years of her life, but it was because she was having a lot of problems. When we talked about my surgery, that was one thing she said she was glad they were doing now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now