fast food/eating out?

jenny003

ok so I know its the last thing you should do, but if you were to go out to dinner with your family, what/where are the best places to eat?

Can you give some food examples from each of the resturants too?

I find that I don't eat out nearly as often as I used to.

For fast food, my standbyes are:

Wendy's - chili

Taco Bell - pintos & cheese

Chick-Fil-A - grilled chicken sandwich minus the bun, or a grilled chicken salad

KFC - the new grilled chicken

For nicer sit down restaurants, I usually go for steak, grilled chicken, or seafood. At our favorite restaurant (a small local place) I usually fill up on the soup & salad bar, take a couple of bites of my entree, and save the rest for the next day. I avoided eating out for the first several months, simply because there was so little I could find to eat that was suitable.

ok so I know its the last thing you should do, but if you were to go out to dinner with your family, what/where are the best places to eat?

Can you give some food examples from each of the resturants too?

Wendy's chili is a staple, post op.. my nut encouraged me to give it a try. Now I love it!

I also will occasionally have subway- 1/2 of a flatbread sandwich works well for me.. chicken-bacon ranch with veggies (once you're cleared for veggies- which for my doctor was six months post out. )

I'll tell you where I usually go and what I eat. I don't eat meat, so obviously that's a factor for me, too. But many places have good options if you eat meat. I don't do much fast food because much of what they have is so greasy. And they usually don't have very good vegetarian options. But sometimes I go to some fast food places.

Chipotle- I love that place. I get a burrito bowl and ask for just a little rice. Then I get beans, veggies, salsa and cheese. No sour cream. If I'm really hungry, I can eat about half. Sometimes one makes three meals for me.

Panera- another place I love. In the mornings, they have these baked egg souffles. The rest of the day, I get soup. They have good salads, too.

Wendy's- I don't actually go there often, but they do have some good salads, or sometimes I get a baked potato. But lots of people love their chili and it's a great choice (if you eat meat).

Bob Evans or similar place - I get a cheese omelet. Only last time I ate there I think I got food poisoning, so I guess I will not be going there again any time soon.

Red Lobster- if you eat meat, they have lots of good choices. Since I don't, they are not so great for me. I get pasta there with no seafood, which is not a great WLS choice but I hardly ever go there. And I eat one biscuit because I absolutely love them. They have lots of good seafood choices, though.

Applebees- I need to go there some time soon because I have coupons for a free meal because last time I was there, the server spilled someone's beer all over me. They have some good salads. Since I leave off the chicken or shrimp or whatever, it's not much protein for me but I just make up for it later.

Pizza- Kinda high in calories and carbs so I wouldn't get it often, but I eat it about once a month. One slice usually fills me up. I get thin crust and sometimes don't eat all the crust.

Kelly

For nicer sit down restaurants, I usually go for steak, grilled chicken, or seafood. At our favorite restaurant (a small local place) I usually fill up on the soup & salad bar, take a couple of bites of my entree, and save the rest for the next day. I avoided eating out for the first several months, simply because there was so little I could find to eat that was suitable.

My local place has the best meatloaf around. I never thought I'd order meatloaf of all things in a restaurant but I love theirs and I get four meals from one when I order that! The portions are enormous..:eek:

Applebees also has some really good chili! It's so delicious! I usually share with my 3 year old or husband when I eat to save money. Funny that I "share" with my toddler now...she eats more than I do! We don't have a Wendy's in town...such a disgrace! So, if I do fast food, I get a honey mustard grilled chicken wrap at McDonald's.

Our family is always on the go and I work and hour away from home so we do eat out alot.

Taco Bell - Pintos & Cheese

KFC - Grilled Chicken and Mashed Potatoes ( I get the dark me since it's moister, is that a word?)

Jack in the Box - Grilled Chicken strips

For nicer restaurants I love Mimi's, they have a crab cake appetizer that is perfect.

Also Baja Fresh has pork fajitas, the pork is shredded and really tender. I just split that with my husband because they give you so much.

I have yet to find anywhere - fast food, diner or restaurant where I haven't been able to find a healthy choice.

Holly Moly .. I eat out all the tim with this freakin schedule I have .. :)

Wendys- Chilli best thing ever ..

Taco bell - Chicken soft taco meat and cheese only (dont eat the tortilla) or Pintos and cheese with sour cream ... MMM

any mexican I eat the grilled chicken with cheese and sourcream

We aint suppose to eat pasta so I wont fill your head up with what I eat at the italian places I go... but i usually just eat the meat and a few bites of pasta ..

MIkey D's grilled chicken sandwich no bun or chicken nuggets

Arbys- chicken salad no bread

I am not a big pizza junkie... I really only peel the top off and leave the crust

longhorn-logans-TGIF - o Charleys .. steak (not often) chicken, shrimp

chinese- teriaki chicken mmmm or shrimp

breakfast

Burrito from Mikey D's lots of salsa.. I can eat one WHOLE one of these every morning ..MM

Cracker Barrell .. one egg over medium and bacon ...

Well I eat pretty normal.. I am just very careful with portion control.. I eat less than my 9 year old child and put it down when I know I should... I limit my carbs and sugar intake and it seems to work fine for me ... :)

I drink a 5 oz V8 every once in a while to balance out the protien and veggies... and I add a protien shake in every now and again if I am feeling especially tired.. you just get used to whatever and roll with it ...

I can go anywhere and find something I can eat.

Almost all of the major chains have websites and you can get on line and look for their nutrition guides. I was invited out to O'Charlys and I checked out what was on the menu before I went in and ordered. I did really well with their grilled shrimp and a baked potato.

I would check everything out on line first. Then go to the restaurant.

Hmmm, there are some good choices here. I need to check out Wendy's nutrition info on the chili so I know that its an option when I am able to eat out.

Hmmm - I don't eat out much really - but I find what works for me best is the ideal, "Anything in moderation." -- I've always been a fan of Taco Bell though for fastfood - I love their 7 layer burritos -- it's filling and with the beans, adds much needed protein.

I ate a few times at Hardees - one half portebello mushroom swiss thick burger for lunch and the other half for dinner.

I think if you balance your calories out throughout the day and get between 1400 - 2000 or less per day that you should be very good and maintain well. One excellent thing is to forgo the fries if at a burger joint and go for the side salad instead and/or never supersize the meal :)

Jacquii.

I agree with Corrine, there are very few places where I can't find something nice for dinner!

"Healthy Eating" is such a moneymaker these days that most places have some sort of better option.

I had an insane day today and stopped at Taco Bell for some pintos and cheese with a side of grilled chicken. Perfect lunch. I just tossed the chicken in on top of the beans and cheese, some hot sauce and I was full for hours!

I had an insane day today and stopped at Taco Bell for some pintos and cheese with a side of grilled chicken. Perfect lunch. I just tossed the chicken in on top of the beans and cheese, some hot sauce and I was full for hours!

I always go for the Pintos n' Cheese too and at just 170 cals, 2.5g fat and 10g of protein. I can't do meat so have a side of their Pacific grilled shrimp on top ... yum!

The Pacific Shrimp Taco is a good go-to as well.

I cringe looking back to the days when I ate 2 Burritos at a time - as a mid-morning snack no less. A Volcano and a 7 Layer. Over 1300 cals, 150g carbs - but the protein was good! :P

I go to taco bell maybe once a week. I get the pintos and cheese and a fresco taco. Sometimes beef and some times chicken. Then I come home and eat the taco while it is hot---and save the pintos and cheese for later.

I also do wendys chili.

Today, i went to Mongolian Grill. Do they have those everywhere? I got shrimp and oysters for my meat. Broc, peas, pineappe, onions, shrooms for my veggie and pad thia for my sauce. I ate about a third of it and brought the rest home. Then i left it out of the fridge and decided to pitch it. Nice.

I have been to Red Lobster twice and have gotten crab legs and they were awesome. I also had two shrimps that my friend ordered with mango/jap sauce and they were awesome.

Thats about it.

I always go for the Pintos n' Cheese too and at just 170 cals, 2.5g fat and 10g of protein. I can't do meat so have a side of their Pacific grilled shrimp on top ... yum!

The Pacific Shrimp Taco is a good go-to as well.

I cringe looking back to the days when I ate 2 Burritos at a time - as a mid-morning snack no less. A Volcano and a 7 Layer. Over 1300 cals, 150g carbs - but the protein was good! :P

I know it's so funny!! I used to eat a grilled stuffed burrito and like 3 crunchy tacos, just the thought of it turns my stomach now. The chicken they give you I assume is about as much weight wise as the shrimp, about 3oz and with the beans made a perfect meal. It was cheap too, less than $3. It will definately be a staple for me when we drive to wherever the hell we are going next. :rolleyes:

I go to taco bell maybe once a week. I get the pintos and cheese and a fresco taco. Sometimes beef and some times chicken. Then I come home and eat the taco while it is hot---and save the pintos and cheese for later.

I also do wendys chili.

Today, i went to Mongolian Grill. Do they have those everywhere? I got shrimp and oysters for my meat. Broc, peas, pineappe, onions, shrooms for my veggie and pad thia for my sauce. I ate about a third of it and brought the rest home. Then i left it out of the fridge and decided to pitch it. Nice.

I have been to Red Lobster twice and have gotten crab legs and they were awesome. I also had two shrimps that my friend ordered with mango/jap sauce and they were awesome.

Thats about it.

We have Ghengis Grill here in Texas which is the same thing. I like it because I can get like 3 meals out of one plate and get just the right amount of veggies for me. Their chicken reheats well and does not dry out. Just watch some of their sauces. I dumped on a Teriyaki sauce, guess it had too much sugar in it. So now I make my own mixture of soy, garlic, ginger, red peppers and a touch of sesame oil. Have not had an issue eating there since I did that.

We have Ghengis Grill here in Texas which is the same thing. I like it because I can get like 3 meals out of one plate and get just the right amount of veggies for me. Their chicken reheats well and does not dry out. Just watch some of their sauces. I dumped on a Teriyaki sauce, guess it had too much sugar in it. So now I make my own mixture of soy, garlic, ginger, red peppers and a touch of sesame oil. Have not had an issue eating there since I did that.

We had never been there before, but it was good. Except i noticed they didnt remove the poop shoot from the shrimp so i was a little freaked out and was afraid to eat the shrimp.

I noticed on the nut sheet it listed the sauces but not the sugar in them. I was so overwhelmed by the 20 sauces, i just grabbed one. i only gave them a little sauce to use anyway, actually i got two sauces and they MIXED them together? wth? i wanted two different flavors, not one. the other was the ginger sauce.

Yeah it just could have been an off day for me too, you never know since my pissy pouch likes things one day and not the next but I figured better safe than sorry. The next few weeks are going to be rough as we are trying not buy too many groceries so we won't have to throw a bunch of food out when we leave. So I think Taco Bell will be seeing alot of me as we get closer to our move date.

Yeah it just could have been an off day for me too, you never know since my pissy pouch likes things one day and not the next but I figured better safe than sorry. The next few weeks are going to be rough as we are trying not buy too many groceries so we won't have to throw a bunch of food out when we leave. So I think Taco Bell will be seeing alot of me as we get closer to our move date.

NOT TO MENTION...i would not have a CLUE how to make my own sauce, are you kidding me? That is way out of my league.

so Wendys, taco bell and subway are the #1 spots for fast food if need be?! Thanks for all this advice!