courtneyc

5 Months Post-Op...I'm Pregnant

That is the first I'm actually saying that out loud (figuratively speaking). I guess I should start from the beginning....

Five months ago, on October 5th, I had RYN surgery and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I''ve lost a total of 120 pounds and am feeling wonderful. I had another 100 to go and then Valentines Day came.....now I'm 6 weeks pregnant. :eek: Ironically, I'm still continuing to lose weight but I'm eating healthy...

I'm scared, not sure if the father want's anything to do with me. I'm afraid to tell my family as I don't want them to 1. Be concerned for my health (post op and pregnant five months later?!) and 2. They are most likely going to be very disappointed in me.

I have never thought once to end this pregnancy. This is a gift from God and everything happens for a reason. I'm just a little freaked out. I haven't told my surgeon yet and I'm sure he's not going to be thrilled. My first OB/GYN doctors appointment is Friday so I'll know more then.

I could really use a friend right now...Any takers? I'd also like some advice; has anyone out there gotten pregnant so soon after surgery? I thought we were being careful; apparently not careful enough.

Hi courtney,

I'm in. There are 3 of us in a similar situation right now. I got pregnant around Valentines day too and am 6 weeks, 1 day prego. I'm SO excited. My RNY was on 11/2 and I'm down close to 70 lbs. (but I "only" had 100 to lose) My due date is 11/1. :D DH & I dealt with infertility for 2 years and I was really hoping the surgery would help correct those issues. Apparently it worked.

I've been in touch w/ my Dr and nutritionist and so long as I up some vitamins they think I'm in good shape. I also see the OB for the first time on Friday. At 38 I qualify as "Advanced Maternal Age" so hopefully they will take good care of me.

Good luck!

First of all, congrats on the weight loss and pregnancy...as stressful as it may be. Just know we are here for you. If you look on the pregnancy thread in the Post-op gastric bypass section, you will find many women like you. It is extremely likely you will have a healthy pregnancy. I know you are freaking out, but your family will find out eventually. I am not going to tell you what to do, but I think you should tell them...when you are ready. You never know, they may be your greatest support. Moms and dads have a way of getting over the anger when they hold that little angel in their arms:D I guess it's a grandparent thing! Your surgeon may be upset, but he/she will have to get over it and deal with the situation. My SIL's sister was 9 months out of surgery when she got pregnant, but to my knowledge she is doing well. Try to relax and take it one day at a time. Just make sure your OB knows the situation...you may want to meet with a nutritionist, as well. I wish you the best in everything!

Thank you so much for the advice and support. I'm waiting to find out if the 'daddy' wants anything to do with "us" before I tell my family. I find it's always good to have a definite plan in place before I go to them and say, Gee, I don't know what I'm going to do.....

I appreciate it. Sounds like we are due around the same time Longing4thin! :D

Welcome to the club, sister! I'm 2 months post op and over 6 weeks prego. Yay! There's 3 of us due around the same time! That's kinda exciting!!!

I'm Kylie. So we 3 can be each others shoulders! I'm scared too.

Thank you so much for the advice and support. I'm waiting to find out if the 'daddy' wants anything to do with "us" before I tell my family. I find it's always good to have a definite plan in place before I go to them and say, Gee, I don't know what I'm going to do.....

I appreciate it. Sounds like we are due around the same time Longing4thin! :D

This is true! I would wait, too!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the "daddy" wants nothing to do with my baby either. So we're in the same boat, Courtney. :(

Courtney, Kylie & Krista... all due around the same time. Interesting. So glad to share this with you guys. This is our first. Do either of you have other kids?

Congrats on getting pregnant and doing such a good job with your new tool. Dont fret being 5 months post op and pregnant.. you are working your tool well .. just keep it up and make sure you get great nutrition for the baby. Which means.. not protein loading your diet anymore.. and learning to eat new things. Remember once the baby comes you can get back on track.. thats what i plan to do. I got preg 8 months post op, after losing 130 lbs. I have lost an additional 25-30 since getting pregnant.. and have gained back about 9.. then lost again. I am 27 weeks now and about 5 lbs up from my lowest. I have a completely healthy baby growing.. regardless of the weight loss and diet constraints. make sure your surgeon knows whats going on.. if your ob isnt skilled with WLS patients, your surgeon will have to help guide him/her in how to treat you and what to expect. Like low blood sugars are completely normal after WLS and pregnancy.. vs gestational diabetes problems. If you have any questions or need a buddy to lean on.. let me know!! :)

Just wondering...dont they require you to be on 2 forms or birthcontrol before and after they do the surgery? Mine requires us to get IUD, the pill, or he will do the shot before the surgery. Did you guys have this rule or is my dr different? Or did you just not follow it through? Just wondering! I am hating the fact that they want me to wait 2 years post op to have another kid!

Birth control is something no one can FORCE you to do. Your body is your body. Not to mention, I would have never had the surgery with a doctor that required me to have birthcontrol. I do think you should wait until your body is ready. Even my surgeon when i told him was excited that i was pregnant, because i was 75% to goal, had lost more than I should have in that time, and knew i was in a HAPPY place in my weight loss, knowing i'd finish it up. I wouldnt encourage people to get pregnant early out.. because of the problems with diet. My diet was very vast when i got pregnant so eating for 2 wasn't hard.. i could eat all the fruits, veggies carbs and so on without being sick.

You should wait 18 mo-24 months after surgery to get pregnant for most people.. but its an individual choice.

To each is own obviously :) I just want to do what is safest. Im sure people have had pregnancies that are perfectly healthy a few months post op.

Im going to go back on the pill and prob get off it a month or so after surgery...and just make my husband use condoms.

I know how hard it was to be pregnant without WLS, I could only imagine how it would be post WLS!

Good luck to all you ladies!! I cant wait til I have my surgery and have another child! :)

I couldnt get pregnant without WLS. I had PCOS, so without this lovely surgery, i wouldnt have my little Kaden cooking away. And its my first so i have no idea how it would be without it. I stress constantly about my weight.. cuz i can't keep it on. But so far it isnt hurting my little man at all. I eat like crazy.. all the "wrong" things considering the WLS. But its worth it to have this little one on his way to the world. After 15 years of wanting him.. i am glad he's coming. If you dont wanna get pregnant.. dont try and stop it from happening. The worst thing is the people who say.. i dont know how it happened.. Well if you have unprotected sex anytime, you can get pregnant.. pre/post WLS or anytime in your life. So if you dont want it to happen to you.. dont let it! :) your in control!

A lot of pregnancies happen as an accident, and not because people are necessarily trying to. When you have WLS, you can become very fertile. My sil's sister became pregnant on birth control. If you get off, be very careful. I'm not on bc, either, but I waited until I was a year out to go off.

Just wondering...dont they require you to be on 2 forms or birthcontrol before and after they do the surgery? Mine requires us to get IUD, the pill, or he will do the shot before the surgery. Did you guys have this rule or is my dr different? Or did you just not follow it through? Just wondering! I am hating the fact that they want me to wait 2 years post op to have another kid!

My Dr also said 2 forms we are ok with one tho(hubby's been snipped!) and tested to make sure the junk isnt working like that anymore.

I couldnt get pregnant without WLS.I had PCOS

Congrats hun! While I havent dealt with this, I know a lot of people who have. Have you heard of the website Pregnancy Community & Forum, Pregnancy & Baby Information I-am-pregnant.com ? It is a great support group for pregnant women from all walks of life! I highly recommend it! Lemme know if you join and I can add you as a friend.

Kids are the best thing in the world, so definitely cherish this moment!

I was told that there is a 30%! percent chance of your baby having major issues if you got preggo less then 18 months post op. Has anyone heard this before?

We aren't having anymore kids but I am super careful because I am scared to death to get preggo. My last baby was a condom broken AND the morning after pill failed. So I know first hand that it can happen even when you are super careful.

I was told that there is a 30%! percent chance of your baby having major issues if you got preggo less then 18 months post op. Has anyone heard this before?

My surgeon said that they have a good chance to be malnourished and that was all he really said in the meeting, but we never got into detail. I had a very hard pregnancy and was anemic and had issues with food and OMG heartburn! My daughter smooshd my stomach and I had never had heartburn my entire life until I got pregnant.

I managed to not get pregnant from 16 til 22 (when we tried and conceived my daughter), so Im not too concerned with getting off the pill a month or 2 post op.

Congratulations Courtney. :) Babies are always a blessing, even though they aren't always perfect with their timing.

As you've probably read by now, you're 1 of about 3 or 4 ladies who have became pregnant "a little too soon" within the last few weeks. It seems like Cupid was busy on Valentine's Day! ;)

You can have a healthy pregnancy, but you really do need to be more careful. Pregnancy requires only about 300 extra calories per day, which really isn't a whole lot. Be super aware of what you eat, and make sure you're taking your vitamins/supplements. Don't forget to start folic acid supplements, as that is very important especially in the first couple of months. It would probably be a good idea to make an appointment ASAP with the dietitian/nutritionist.

I would imagine that you'll continue to lose weight for the first 4 or 5 months, since you're so soon out of surgery. Read some of Heather's (hexx2003) posts regarding that, as they can probably give you some insight.

My surgeon said that they have a good chance to be malnourished and that was all he really said in the meeting, but we never got into detail. I had a very hard pregnancy and was anemic and had issues with food and OMG heartburn! My daughter smooshd my stomach and I had never had heartburn my entire life until I got pregnant.

I managed to not get pregnant from 16 til 22 (when we tried and conceived my daughter), so Im not too concerned with getting off the pill a month or 2 post op.

I would caution you to be careful going off the pill. There have been plenty of people who haven't been able to conceive, but once they had WLS...even a few weeks post op...they got pregnant. Please be very careful. Don't rely on what it was like pre-op....your body and hormones are COMPLETELY different.

...........I managed to not get pregnant from 16 til 22 (when we tried and conceived my daughter), so Im not too concerned with getting off the pill a month or 2 post op.

Lisa, I respectfully disagree with your opinion quoted above. In just the past month, there have been 3 or 4 "newbies" who have gotten pregnant by accident very early out. As soon as you start losing weight, your hormones go pretty wacky, and it's VERY easy to get pregnant even if you've had trouble in the past.

Well, I'm one of those who got prego very very early out. Yes, I know it's high risk....yes, it was an accident.

But let's use another thread to discuss birth control, malnutrition, etc, and use this one to celebrate life, shall we?? Sorry....hormonal and annoyed.....

Well...I say congrats to all the new mommies - I would love to have a child - but there won't be any for me...

It truly is a blessing...

Lisa, I respectfully disagree with your opinion quoted above. In just the past month, there have been 3 or 4 "newbies" who have gotten pregnant by accident very early out. As soon as you start losing weight, your hormones go pretty wacky, and it's VERY easy to get pregnant even if you've had trouble in the past.

I agree that it is easier to get pregnant when you loose weight, thats awesome! I conceived the month we tried. I am not concerned because I know my body well and my husband and I do natural family planning and it has worked for almost 10 years.

I think its great that people are pregnant that have never had the chance. My original post, seeing that I am new here was simply if peoples drs have told them the same thing as mine, which was to be on two forms of birth control because of the risk. Thats all I was asking...never meant to get people all worked up and bent out of shape!

Well...I say congrats to all the new mommies - I would love to have a child - but there won't be any for me...

It truly is a blessing...

My best friend cant have children either, and it is very hard for her. But always keep in mind, if you feel you can love a child there are many children out there that would love to call you mommy.