Cynthia

How much does opti-fast cost?

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how much it cost to be on opti-fast? I might have to be on optifast for a week or two and was trying to see the cost. Thanks

Hello:

In Northern Va it cost $150 for a week supply. I needed 1 1/2 weeks and did not want to pay for a second full week. So, I checked my surgeons message board and purchased from another patient who had leftovers. Just a thought?

Hey there, I did opti-fast for two weeks, and it cost me $200.. I wish I had kept the few I had remaining to send you, but they were so gross I just threw them away.. That's in canadian price too, so don't quote me!

Ask your surgeons office whether or not they permit you to eat vegetables while you are on optifast, as it makes you VERY constipated.

Hello:

In Northern Va it cost $150 for a week supply. I needed 1 1/2 weeks and did not want to pay for a second full week. So, I checked my surgeons message board and purchased from another patient who had leftovers. Just a thought?

What a good idea. This forum would be my surgeons message board so if I have to be on it I will check here first. Thanks

Hey there, I did opti-fast for two weeks, and it cost me $200.. I wish I had kept the few I had remaining to send you, but they were so gross I just threw them away.. That's in canadian price too, so don't quote me!

Ask your surgeons office whether or not they permit you to eat vegetables while you are on optifast, as it makes you VERY constipated.

Your too sweet :) Thanks. I will find out on tuesday if I have lost enough weight on my own or if I will have to do opti-fast.

Try the HMR liquid protein. A weeks supply is 32.00 and it is good. I have been on 4 days and lost 9 pounds. Not really minding it too much.

I have some hmr that a friend gave me but it is expired. My surgeons office offers the optifast. I wonder if I could just do hmr instead if needed. I am on day 2 of a low-carb diet and hope I can drop 10lbs by tuesday :)

Not that this will help you, but i have three cases of this nutrition stuff that has not been opened--not even the cardboard. I cant get the company to take it back ---well, they said they would but they would through it away. Nice.

I would like to find a place to donate it. I dont know what Opt-Fast is, really....but if it is the same as this stuff (which is like Ensure, I guess) let me know. I can ship it to you, but i have a feeling it wouldnt be cheap.

Not that this will help you, but i have three cases of this nutrition stuff that has not been opened--not even the cardboard. I cant get the company to take it back ---well, they said they would but they would through it away. Nice.

I would like to find a place to donate it. I dont know what Opt-Fast is, really....but if it is the same as this stuff (which is like Ensure, I guess) let me know. I can ship it to you, but i have a feeling it wouldnt be cheap.

That is so nice of you. Opti-fast is a liquid meal replacement diet. A friend of mine gave me some stuff called hmr but it was expired. Do you know if they are meal replacements? If so I would be so grateful to you :)

This is Nutren Replete by Nestle. The other is PRomote. Both are "very high protein liquid nutrition." They are about 250 calories....about 8 ounces each. 15 grams of protein. Sound like the same type of stuff?

I just checked OPTIFAST 800 Ready to Drink:

160 cals.

3g fat

20g carbs

..20g sugars

14g protein

I'm a little confused as to why docs recommend Optifast because there are many cheaper, nutritionally superior and more readily available products out there.

Why not Atkins RTD shakes? Nutritionally, they fair better than the Optifast and cost a great deal less.

Is there a reason for Optifast?

Corrine, I'm guessing it's because docs just don't bother to read labels carefully or look at all the options out there. I think that's why so many actually recommend Slimfast for the pre-op diet, when it has 40 carbs and 34 grams of sugar and only ten grams of protein.

Kelly

I have 2 weeks of "New Directions" left over, I would be happy to ship it to anyone who needs it.

I'm wondering whether people are required to buy Optifast from their surgeon's office?

I would just take the ingredient list with me or call your surgeon for a Opti-fast replacement. My doc was totally ok with me switching to something else. I think docs are concerned more about pro/calories than a brand name. My doc stocks the stuff so I believe its more of a business agreement. Good Luck:)

I'm wondering whether people are required to buy Optifast from their surgeon's office?

I'm guessing you wouldn't be required to buy it there, but I bet if they are telling people to use Optifast that they sell it and most people do buy it there because they don't know where else to get it or it's just easier to get it there than go somewhere else. I have an issue with docs pushing vitamins or protein drinks that they sell. I think it's inappropriate. My surgeon's office does sell Bariatric Advantage vitamins, but as far as I know, they don't push people to take that brand. They didn't try to talk me into taking them. They just have them there if you want to buy them.

Kelly

You all bring up great questions for me to ask Dr Callery when I see him next week. I was told by Kelly that if I hadn't lost 10-15lbs that I would have to be on opti-fast and they sell it there. Im assuming that they buy it wholesale and do a little mark up and make something on the sale of it.