ladytarheelinohio

How long were you out of work?

I am having a Lap RNY on March 23, 2010. I teach school and this is during my spring break. They told me I should be able to go back to work the next week. I really do not want to miss any work. I had ankle surgery right before Christmas and was out of work until Feb. 3rd.

I am out of sick days due to that and anytime off will be without pay and I really cannot afford that. I would wait until school gets out but I am working on my master's degree during the summer and have three classes back to back in June and July. I am required to attend seminars each Thursday afternoon for 12 weeks post-op and would not be able to go to grad school if I wait until summer for the surgery.

I am also having surgery March 23rd... I have heard varying things about when people go back to work... From what I have read in different posts, it really depends on what you do for a living, and how your body reacts to the surgery.

I was a bandster so less evasive surgery than rny .. But I took 2 weeks off and I needed it .

Im a hairdresser and stand all day ....

It will also depend on any complications etc .... Im sure some of the others that have had rny will chime in and advise you ...

Good luck x

Thanks for the info. I am hoping that since I have the option of sitting or standing while I teach I will be able to go back after one week off.

I have looked at your pictures and you look great!

Thanks for the info. I am hoping that since I have the option of sitting or standing while I teach I will be able to go back after one week off.

I have looked at your pictures and you look great!

Yes a bit different if u can sit with your job hope it all works out for u but like any surgery u will feel tired and weak especially as your food intake decreases so much at first .

Just be sensible dont put your well being at risk hun ..

And thanks I sure feel better 104 pounds lighter , it will be you soon ..

Good luck now x

If you go to the advanced search funtion at the upper right hand side of the screen, and do a 'tag search' on the tag 'return to work' you'll find several threads where this has been discussed in the past.

I needed 8 weeks and I have a sit on my rear end type of job. Age, pain tolerance, severity of the surgery, complications, even genetics can all play a part in how long you'll be out. Average seems to be a few weeks.

Remember, this is MAJOR surgery and you'll be undergoing some major emotional, hormonal, mental as well as physical changes and you need to give your body and your mind a chance to deal with this.. it isn't just the physical changes we have to deal with post operatively.

I was back at work 6 days after my surgery... I felt great after the initial 3 or 4 days.

I had laproscopic gastric bypass... first 2 days I thought I was going to die..

but I kept moving and walking like they told me too and I had a great, fast, recovery

My job is more physical than most. I deliver mail and on a walking route (Put your mailboxes on the curb people) :)

I took 3 weeks off and am debating on if I need a fourth. I return to work on Mar. 1.

I had my surgery on a Monday and I was back to work on the following Monday. So, about a week. I have a desk job, and live close to where I work, so I could go home and rest during lunch. But, after about a week I was pretty much up to speed. HTH!!

Hi there,

I also had my sugery on Monday, out of hospital on Thursday and back to work on Monday.

It is a lot in the mind, but do listen to your body. I realised after 3 months that it took me that long to deal with getting used to the eating etc.

I am now 5 months out and 20 lbs of goal! Good luck!

I am 66 years of age and I took four weeks before returning to work. When I did return the first week brought odd feelings of unease. It was about week six when things began to go normally for me.

Every case is truly different. I think if I had been a younger man I might have been able to return sooner. That said, I have had a wonderful recovery and I feel great and I look great. Most of my medical problems have completely disappeared.

My recommendation: it is major surgery. Be nice to yourself. Recover at home.

Hi - I was ready to go back after three weeks, but eating was a challenge at that point... I can honestly say after 3 months... I still get tired sometimes... and its a tired that i never really felt before... Just complete exhaustion... thats when I know its bed time... no excuses... does anyone else feel that way?

I had my surgery on May22 and was back to work one week later! I felt great at 2day's post and was getting bored at home. But it was good to take the week. Hope all is well with you!:D

I had my surgery December 8, 2008, was discharged December 12, 2008. I went back to work, February 2008. It was about 5 weeks before I went back to work. My surgeon said I was ready in 2 weeks, but knowing my work site and break times, I knew 5 weeks would be the best.

i took a month... i needed it too!