Cathouse

Poor Weight Loss

I posted a month ago that I had lost very little weight my first month after weight loss surgery, and many of you were very reassuring and told me it woudl start coming off soon. It hasn't.

I NEVER eat more than a thousand calories per day, drink tons of water, work out with a personal trainer FOUR times a week, walk an additional ten miles per week, and on a good week I lose a pound and a half. I do everything I'm supposed to and have called the Dr's office many many times. They tell me everyone is different, but they've never heard of someone not losing weight right after bypass surgery and insist I must be eating a lot more than I think. There is absolutely no doubt that this isn't true...Each day I have two protein drinks, one meal consisting of four ounces of lean protein and nothing else, 1/2 cup of low sodium V8, and one 100-150 calorie snack. Some days I'm hungrier and have two snacks instead of one. In the two months following surgery I've lost about 11 pounds. I was depressed a month ago. Now I'm borderline suicidal.

Seriously 5+ pounds a month is fine! You WILL loose weight and hopefully your drinking at least the 68 oz of water/crystal light and hopfully you are excersizing. Stop stressing about the #'s on the scale and start seeing how clothes fit. I am the queen of slow weight loss over these over 2 years. When people get all whiney about only loosing 10 pounds this month and 9 pounds the next month i want to vomit! i've never lost 10 pounds in a month and I too had gastric bypass. But it really does work and you must start WORKING the tool to its potential meaning excersizing too. Good luck

I'm sorry you're not losing. I'm sure you're having feelings of buyer's remorse right now, but don't give up!

Have you tried changing up your workouts? Adding more protein? Changing up your menu? If you get in food and exercise ruts, your body can stop responding to them. Try upping your protein intake, that should help. Are you taking your measurements? Sometimes the tape measure tells more than the scale.

I'm sure you're weighing and measuring all of your foods and getting low-fat, lean proteins, so maybe these can help. I might also make an appointment to meet with the nut one-on-one, face to face to get some advice.

One more thing - stress can impeed weight loss. If you're getting seriously stressed out about this, you could be harming your weight loss.

I would think you are not eating enough based on the amount of excercise you are doing. If you are not consuming enough calories your body will try to hang on to everything you eat thinking you are starving. Try upping your calories by about 300 or so a day, another protein drink or some more lean protein. It will come off, I promise you. I have had 5 week stretches at a time where I have not lost anything, a few of them very early on and I still have lost 96lbs in less than 7 months.

When you say you are having a snack or sometimes 2 what are you snacking on hun?

The only reason I ask is to see if maybe the snacks are the culprit.

I really can't excersise more than I am. I spend an hour four times a week with a personal trainer who beats on me mercilessly, and on the off days from the gym I walk 3-4 miles. I'm very sore all the time and really can't do any more than I'm already doing...the trainer wouldn't even let me spend more time in the gym.

Snacks are low carb, low fat. Usually a half cup of cottage cheese, a sugar free yogurt, some fat free cheese, a couple hard boiled egg whites, that kind of thing. Sometimes I have a cup of unsweetened soymilk. My total food today is one protein shake, 4 ounces of chicken with a few very thin slices of avocado (a cheat to be sure!), 1/2 cup low sodium V8 and a half cup of cottage cheese. I'm going downstairs right now to have a protein shake for dinner. I did try increasing to 1200 calories per day, but gained half a pound that week.

I know you said your surgeon is very accusatory with you eating more, but do you see a nutritionist? Maybe they could offer some insight as to what the malfunction is. Good luck I hope things turn around for you.

Do you have a nutritionist? If so, I would make an appointment and take my food journals in for him / her to review. I don't know if this would make a difference, by my nut advises us to get off of protein supplements as soon as we can eat enough food to get 60 - 80 grams of protein without them.

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your progress, and hope you can get help making changes that have a positive impact on your weight loss.

So everyone already said everything that I would. Up calories, UP protein, and slow down exercise! But what I am MOST concerned about is your being suicidal.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!! Take this serious. I understand that you did this to get healthy and happy. But it takes more than the surgery to make you such. Please find someone you can talk to/trust.

best advice I can give is to keep super detailed track of what you're eating and how you're exercising for a week or two and then sit down with a nutritionist to look at it all. maybe you need to up your calories or change where they're coming from.

I second speaking to your NUT first. Surgeons are not the best people for nutritional advice, or even support, honestly.

I have a suggestion, unpopular it might be:

I would do a five day liquid diet, all water and clears with three protein shakes a day, provided they are 25 gram protein each, more is fine.

(I am wondering what protein you are using-type and calorie/protein content). If they are not 25 grams, add a glass or two of skim milk. Keep all your vitamins and calcium. Then over the next week, add back slowly one item per day. It should shake up your diet and body and by week three you should be off your stuck position and hopefully your body will respond. I think you need to kick start your metabolism.

You are clearly working out enough and in fact, scientifically you should lose 1 1/2 pounds a week post op if your lying in your bed, LOL.

The not eating will be hard but not terrible if you drink, drink, drink water and if your protein shakes are mixed with skim milk.

I suggest this as I lost 21 pounds the two weeks prior to surgery on the liquid diet and now I am having a hard time eating anything and have lost a few pounds this week.

Let us know how you are doing and give yourself a break, every body is different and your's is making adjustments to protect you. Hang in there and remember, it is only a tool, so yes, big sacrifices must be made, grrrrrr.

You know.... Since you have been exercising so much I wonder if you are building more muscle. Are you dropping pant sizes at all?

Noooooooo 5 day liquid diet. No no no no no. She's 2 months out, not even. NOOO.

Food diary, make sure to get your protein in, make sure you are getting enough water. While the lack of weightloss concerns me, I would just make sure you know everything you put in your mouth and document it

It does seem like you may not be eating enough. Like jerseygrl said, keep a food diary! It really does help! My surgeon has me eat 5-6 times per day 75% solid protein & 25% good carbs. 65-75 grams of protein a day, 30 grams of fiber per day and 64+ ounces of water/liquids per day. I'm only supposed to exercise 30-45 minutes a day alternating cardio and weights. I lost 100 pounds in my first 8 months following his guidelines. Hopefully something in here will help you. Stay with it, even a small loss is a loss and you are probably loosing inches even though you don't see the scale move very fast.

The nutritionist is no help...I think she's given up on me completely. At the rate I'm going, I'll be the only 300 pound person to ever die of anorexia.

Oddly, I'm down nearly two pants sizes, a dress size and at least a full ring size...can't wear my beautiful engagement ring and wedding band anymore. I might buy that some of the lack of weight loss is due to building more muscle, so heavier muscle is being exchanged for fat, but that would happen similarly to everyone.

I journal food by day and toss it. I use it to make sure I get in 70-80 grams of protein and stay under 1000 calories for the day, then start fresh the next day. I came to the conclusion that beating myself up over a handfull of popcorn two weeks ago just isn't a healthy way to live. I was just getting too obsessed with it and tryign to find answers that just weren't there.

Edited by Cathouse

The nutritionist is no help...I think she's given up on me completely. At the rate I'm going, I'll be the only 300 pound person to ever die of anorexia.

Oddly, I'm down nearly two pants sizes, a dress size and at least a full ring size...can't wear my beautiful engagement ring and wedding band anymore. I might buy that some of the lack of weight loss is due to building more muscle, so heavier muscle is being exchanged for fat, but that would happen similarly to everyone.

I journal food by day and toss it. I use it to make sure I get in 70-80 grams of protein and stay under 1000 calories for the day, then start fresh the next day. I came to the conclusion that beating myself up over a handfull of popcorn two weeks ago just isn't a healthy way to live. I was just getting too obsessed with it and tryign to find answers that just weren't there.

Start measuring yourself hun. Get a tape measure and every 2 weeks or so redo it. I can't tell you how many times I have lost inches but that damn scale I call Satan won't budge. Don't ask me where they go. It's not muscle gain vs fat loss because a pound is a pound. Muscle is leaner so 2 people who weigh the same may look different if one is more muscular but it does not explain the lack of movement on the scale.

I don't know if "Here I am taking inches so you don't drive yourself insane fairy" takes the inches but the go away even when the scale won't move.

Hang in there please, and have faith that it will work. For me at least I will go 4, 5 even 6 weeks at a time and lost nothing then all of a sudden I will be down 10lbs. It's frustrating, but we all lose at such different rates.

Are you weighing yourself everyday?

I was at a major stall .. and I was swimming , walking going to the gym almost everyday ... although I never lost I went down a dress size and now I had surgery last week ( not wls related )and carnt work and I have been eating little and often .

And Ive now lost 7 pounds in 7 days ... CRAZY HUH :confused:

The body works in mysterious ways !

And Just read about your dress size and rings .. YOU ARE LOSING FOR SURE ..

Try not to take heed of the scale too much , I did for too long ...

But your body starts to shape !

Dont get disheartned we have all been through this stage .. Just be patient If your following your plan u carnt go wrong .

Stick with it !!!!

Regards

Sas x

I sure hope I don't offend anyone here, but the NUT in my Surgeon's office is useless. When I realized that I was more informed than her, it should have been a big red flag. I urge you to consult a Registered Dietician. Insurance should cover a lot of it, but even if it doesn't, it's usually around $50 a pop. I thinj you'd only need a few visits. Try to find one with Bariatric knowledge. I'm sure there's a reason for this, and I'm also sure you will start losing. Sounds like you are doing really well. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. At 8 weeks post-op I think I was supposed to be getting around 800 calories per day, but it sounds like you're really working out, and need more.

Your not eating enough to account for the amount of excercise your doing....You either need to up the cals equal to what your excecising. Example if your burning 300 cals you need to eat them if not your in starvation mode....So in order to match the 2 up the cals have extra protein drinks especially after you excercise...Or go less on the excercise and up the cals a bit your in starvation mode....You need to follow those rules so you can get back to losing....

Josephine your right too why isn't the trainer telling her this...Your going to get sick if you continue to excercise to much and not eat enough...I thought trainers should know something about calories and being in starvation mode...I know they are not a nut. but they should know it I would think...Slow down the excercise and have an extra protein drink if you need to get more cals than that when you blend the protein drink add a banana or some kind of fruit....Your going to get sick, your working off everythig you eat and that can't be good....Join my fitness pal and there are a few others on here that are on that too and we are giving each other support and we will support you to.....How many calories are you burning when you workout...Especially with the trainer he may know a round about number ask him/her....PM me if you join myfitnesspal and we will support you there too...