Help Please!! I had my gastric bypass in 2007 and I am now having this problem of constant, non stopping burping. I saw my general practitioner this morning and she is scheduling a CT Scan for me. She started me on Prilosec and I pray that this is going to help. It started about 2 months ago, just out of the blue. Does anyone else have this problem?:confused: I anxiously await someone's reply.:( Any one????????

Edited by peppermonster
no response

im having the same problem i had my surgery almost two years ago and im recently going on a month with this terrible burp burp all the time gas feeling its terrible i was in the emergency room two weeks ago with a small bowel obstruction awfull pain i passed gas and i was released after 3 days in the hospital i dont know what is causing this burping all the time since im not eating much i quit drinking coffee since i was told that might be a problem and dairy products but i still feel the same im so scared i do have to set up appointment with my doctor to see whats going on with me its just so stressfull since i just recently got this new job and i had to already called out sick do to me being in the hospital and now i have to take off early from work to see doctors and do ct scans blood work etc.. and also my home is going into forclosure just so much going on that aint helping the way i feel im taking pepcid 20mg twice a day that my doctor prescribed me that does seem to help me the pain i feel is terrible back pain not being able to pass gas and burping constantly if you get any info from your doctor or anyone here that would be helpfull to help me thru a day thanks

Strange that it should start all of a sudden.

I started burping and belching straight out of hospital and it's been like that ever since - generally after eating and drinking.

I'm glad you went to your PCP and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be able to sort it out for you.

• 10 months later...
Strange that it should start all of a sudden.

I started burping and belching straight out of hospital and it's been like that ever since - generally after eating and drinking.

I'm glad you went to your PCP and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be able to sort it out for you.

I too started belching straight from the hospital. Was just searching to see if there was a solution. It was comical at first because it's so out of character for me; now its getting embarassing.

I am having awful burps also....I am 2 weeks post-op...I mentioned it today at my 2 week follow up, but they were not concerned....It's quite bothersome...I call them egg burps since they taste and smell (gross i know) of rotten eggs---or sulpher...

Well, you lucky gals, I can't burp! Since surgery I have not burped and would love to - but I do, well, I'll just say it - fart!!! My dad used to say, "A burp is but a breath of air that cometh from the heart, but when it takes the lower route we know it as a fart!!!" If I more the wrong way - toot toot toot. :/

LOL...oh HighlandLass...loved the fatherly quote---first time id heard that version! And dont feel like the Lone Ranger---i've got low lying gas too!!! LOL

I can burp just looking at a glass of water.

Man o-hannah, I burp the moment I get up, after I drink, after I eat, and when my pouch is empty....it's non stop around here...I'm on week5 and it's been going every since.

One of my friends who is 3years out can't burp to save anything...but yeah she said she can toot up a storm.

I am having awful burps also....I am 2 weeks post-op...I mentioned it today at my 2 week follow up, but they were not concerned....It's quite bothersome...I call them egg burps since they taste and smell (gross i know) of rotten eggs---or sulpher...

I thought it was only me - the other day my husband tried to kiss me and I turned away - he got mad so I burped right in his face (disgusting I know) but he then understood why I did not want to kiss him. My burps smell horrible.

I'm 2 weeks post op and having the same problem. It seems especially bad from water.. does anyone else find that?

Oh yeah! Water is the worst for me.

Help with Tooting? My doc wont release till my bowels start to rumble and pass gas. So far nada, nothing, zip.

Am walking a ton but doesn't help. And he's banned Gasx. Aieeeiiiiiii

Help with Tooting? My doc wont release till my bowels start to rumble and pass gas. So far nada, nothing, zip.

Am walking a ton but doesn't help. And he's banned Gasx. Aieeeiiiiiii

Walking helped (finally) and I've had the great trifecta -- BM, toot, and a belch. I come from a musical background so am trying to see how I can make Pucci sing on top of it all.

I feel surprisingly WONDERFUL. I'm not taking pain meds any more and am concentrating on getting my water and protein down. I am nowhere near where I need to be but it's early evening so I have a while still to go.

Craving a big drink of cold water and I know it's not gonna happen for a while.

• 2 years later...

Did anyone find a cure to this horrible belching?  I had my Gall Bladder removed and yet the belching is coming back.  So embarrassing!!

before surgery - years back -  I had burps that had that awful sulphur smell.  

The Dr said it was due to ulcers.   Two weeks of strong antibiotics cleared that up.

More recently , since I had acid reflux prior to surgery, burping non stop was my norm..

Sooo..   after surgery my burping has actually been less!

Gastric bypass folk have "malabsorptive syndrome".  

We malabsorb food and nutrients and when the undigested food gets down to the colon, the enzymes and bacteria go crazy digesting the food and that's where you get smelly gas or burps.

Also - when we have our stomach bypassed, we don't have the same levels of hydrochloric acid (the stuff that aids in the digestion of proteins).  Undigested proteins can cause some pretty gagging gas and bad breath issues.  

ETA:  Something that can help a lot is to get some probiotics in.  

I've been around the block on them and trust me, they're not all equal.  

Cuturelle (Walmart etc) is pretty good but pricey.  I settled on PB8 and they're something I take every single day.  I get mine from vitacost.com - they're consistently cheaper than most (and they're worth checking out for protein shakes, protein bars, chia seeds, dry form vitamin D, B12 sublinguals/liquids and pretty much anything else you can think of:  http://www.vitacost.com/nutrition-now-pb-8-pro-biotic-acidophilus-for-life-120-capsules-1

Another upside of probiotics is that it's been proven to help to help us lose more weight:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19381735

I Wish I could burp!!!!  Sometimes it seems like if I could just burp it would be such a relief.  I dont "pass gas" very often either.

I often wonder if I'm going to be like a garden slug that drinks the beer you put out to keep them from eating your hosts --  and explode, because I can't do either!

• 7 years later...
21 hours ago, PaulaN said:

Im week 3 post op. I started burping straight out of surgery and haven't stopped. Sometimes it feels like I'm so full of gas I'm going to split my inner stitch work and explode. I worry that the pressure build up is going to do damage to my insides. 

I found as long as I kept moving it helped manage my gas/bloating. Also, when drinking, taking sips made things worse as I would drink too much air along with it. So having a small drink vs having sips made things much more manageable. Your healthcare team may have other suggestions for you if it continues to be a problem. Let us know how it goes, hope it resides soon for you.