hollycerniglia

OMG....at the hair loss

I knew that my hair was going to fall out and I was prepared for it. I think I was actually excited about it at first. I have really thick hair and have to have it thinned out all the time. But my God.....when does it stop? My hair is getting too thin. I am getting hair out of the drain everyday. I don't want to have to take any extra pills to help the matter. One of my incentives for having surgery in the first place was to become healthier and get off some of these medications that I am on.

Mine started at about 3 months or so and stopped about a month ago...So about 5 months for me....I had supper thick hair too....I washed it every 2 days and bought nioxin at sally beauty supply it's a shampoo for thinning hair...I also take biotin....I thought for a while I was going to go bald I started to panic and my hairdresser couldn't get over it eiter so I cut down on the hair cuts too...But now I am happy to say it's growing back my bangs look funny because you can see everything growing underneath and my hair is more curly than it was before...It was totally worth it though...;)

sigh. i hate this topic.. cuz i freak out as well. My hair is wicked thin up top. arggggggggggggg

dunno what to do.

Geeze... my hair has always been thin and the loss hasn't kicked in yet. I'll probably go bald. :(

Ok since mine has decided to fall out most right at the top front of my head I decided it was time to do something more than take Biotin. I found a product at Sally Beauty Supply.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Toppik-hair-fibers/SBS-548110,default,pd.html

Little pricey but the small container has lasted me over a month now and it works awesome. My hair is almost black so the thinning was really noticable against my white scalp. I didn't buy the spray I just use my own hairspray.

Just throwing it out there as an option.

Edited by AirForceW1fe
I use the Dark brown not the white...

Mine started at 3 months and stopped at 6 1/2 months. Now I've got new growth coming in and I'm very happy to see that!!! I also used Nioxin shampoo & conditioner and took Biotin. It won't last long and the overall results of the surgery definately make it worth the hairloss. I was very worried too cuz I started out with pretty thin hair in the first place. :o

I haven't had the surgery yet, but one of my major concerns was the hair loss, I have real thin Hair to begin with and my Hair just started really growing back about 6 months ago from when I was pregnant, my son will be 2 in April. so I figure if it's anything like losing my hair at that time, I can deal with it lol. It will sooooo be worth it. I've also heard if you give yourself daily scalp massages that will help too.

There are many products available that can help with hair loss but the sad reality is that there's no guarantee with any of them.

WLS is hard on the system in the early weeks and months and the hair (skin and nails) are one of the first things to suffer.

Thankfully, I was one of the lucky ones and didn't have much of any loss. I didn't take anything specifically for the hair but I took the advice to really push my protein early out and aimed high (80-100g).

Hair is around 90% protein and our early weeks and months of malnutrition (and malabsorbtion) are tough on our body all the way around.

NOTHING is going to guarantee no hair loss but the good news is that it's usually just a temporary thing.

I am now 3+ years out and lost exactly half of my weight.  My hair is really thinning, and my fingernails are paper thin and a real mess.  What do I need to do?  Suggestions?

I'd hoped I'd be one that didn't lose hair! It comes out in handfuls now at 5 months. It's really getting thin! I eat 70-80 g protein and never go under 60. Guess it's time for a wig!

I feel you all!  I've seen more and more hairs on my brush every morning!   I've been taking 10,000mg of Biotin everyday since before surgery. 

I use Marc Anthony's "Hair Thickening Cream" and it noticeably thickens my hair with every blow dry.

http://www.soap.com/p/marc-anthony-instantly-thick-hair-thickening-cream-80413?site=CA&utm_source=adcenter&utm_medium=cpc_S&utm_term=MAR-009&utm_campaign=bingproductads&CA_6C15C=1323332772

I also use Nutress "Moisturizing Protein Pack" for dry, damaged hair.

http://nutresshair.com/products/protein-pack-conditioner

I also changed my hair style to include BANGS!!  They conceal the thinning around my widows peak.    I pray this ends soon and that my new hair is thicker and healthier than before!!

Recent peer reviews of prior studies on Biotin show it is not effective in preventing hair loss.  It does appear to strengthen nails though.

The hair loss after WLS and other surgeries is just a fact of life. It is a self-limiting cycle. Treat your hair gently and be patient--the loss will stop and re-growth will resume.

Edited by TurnThePage

The trauma of surgery and the impact of rapid weight loss can't be offset with a supplement unfortunately.  I lost hair after my second pregnancy (not with first, go figure) and seriously thought I was going bald.  It does regrow.  This is a natural reaction to the trauma our bodies go through following WLS.

My hair loss started at about 3 months out and is still happening now (8 months). Luckily, I have lots of hair and I know it will eventually stop.

Edited by dilligaf

My hair loss started at 3 months.

At 10 mths now and it has slowed down a lot.

I take biotin am/pm

I use Nixon shampoo.

New hair is returning this past month and thickening.

It will come back.

I hear that at the 1 year mark it will be back to normal.

The loss of hair is related to protein amts.

FYI:

Nails-get nail tech protein top coat. Helps a lot.

i started biotin 5000mcg daily 1 month post op

hair loss kicked in by 3rd month or so, lost even eyelashes and eyebrows!!!

i stated shampooing only 2x/wk

upped my protein intake as much as i could

didnt do any coloring or anything to relieve stress on strands till 10 mo out

at 11 mos post, i still only shmapoo 2-3x/wk, have since colored hi lighted hair again

bitoin seems to not do muhc for hair on my head, but makes hair EVERYWHERE ELSE grow like nuts LOL (wax much?!)

been using Latisse on lashes/brows and theyve grown back lush and long.

i still ntoice larger amts of hair in the drain, but the hairloss has certainyl slowed down as well.