Am I an old Fart in years of Bypass/ 20yrs

George

My name is George and I live in W-Ky ..I had bypass surgery by the famous Dr. George Cowan in 1990 at UT in Memphis....My 1st thing to say is for Gods sake take care of your nutrition..I am having trouble with neuropathy and have a lot of deficiency problems/anemia/B12/etc;. I am going monday to a gastro%@&(spelling)/stomach doctor and hope I can be helped before it's to late for my feet. I probably have celiac disease from some initial bloodwork by a neurologist and he's sending me monday. I am kinda hopeful that I do have celiac because it will give me something to fight. I also hope the gastro doctor will help with treating my deficiencies. I still at this point wouldn't want my 510lbs back as I now weigh 220 and 6'4"...Thanks for letting me share....G

Well George, in your defense, 20 years ago they were not that aware of how important all the nutritional components were but wow, you are an amazing example-down to 220 from 500's? Wow and at 6'2" that is a trim weight.

Congrats!!!!

I see your kinda new (compared to me) in the bypass world.....Please dear friend take care of the nutrition...I'm paying for years of enjoying and riding the fun. It can bite you in the hiney...Thanks again

Hey George congrats on the fantastic weight loss and most of all maintaining that loss.....I hope the Dr's can help you take care of the deficiencies....Keep us up to date....Oh and not to forget Welcome To TT glad to have you with us...

WLS is still in its infancy......first discovered when doctors did surgery for stomach cancer about 50 years ago. In 20 more years, even with what we know now, OUR generation of WLS patients will not have it all figured out and we will more than likely find out a common complication down the road. Tis a risk we take; I hope all researched thoroughly before making a LIFE altering decision.

Welcome to T-T George. I compliment you on maintaining an amazing weighloss over the years. That's quite an achievement

I'm sorry to hear of your complications though. Many of us follow the ASBS recommendations for vitamins and supplements. Ironically, very few surgeons/NUTS follow the protocol but a few of us learnt the hard way.

You can read the relevant bits on page 7 onwards: http://www.asbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf

Personally, I suffered the most horrendous peripheral neuropathy and dropped foot quite early out. Although some of my lab work was on the lower side, according to the doc, it was still within their "normal" range. Well, it didn't take me long to find out that what's normal for one person isn't necessarily normal for another and I had to hit the B vitamins quite heavily.

George, welcome to TT. Your success at maintaining your weight loss is quite inspiring. I hope you can get some relief from the neuropathy and celiac disease. I wonder how well malabsorption was understood when you had your surgery, but there are clearly defined guidelines now for vitamins and needed supplements for the various types of WLS.

Hey George, how are things out there in Marshall County?

I went to school with some Benton, Calvert City boys long ago.

Sorry you got bit in the hiney on the nutritional side of things, and thanks for your warnings.

Most of all, welcome. Your input on the longterm is most welcome.

I don't think there is an "easy out" for complications. If you stay heavy, you have those problems, no telling what damage those 510 pounds did before you had surgery. Now you are older and there are diseases of age. I agree that nutrition is #1, but it always was supposed to be, eat to LIVE, not Live to eat. I appreciate your insight.

• 4 years later...

Been a while since I have checked in and promise I will check in more often....I talked to a friend here locally who had Dr. Clements do her surgery and she called their office and talked to the nurse who is in charge about me.....She was out of the office and said she thought Dr. Clements would take me as a patient. She said she would call me and I am waiting now. I hope somehow some way he will take me. I need help.....My osteoporosis has got worse since my last check and they are wanting me to go to another Dr. here . My problem is when I go they all say we don't know that much about gastric bypass patients. I called UT at Memphis where I had it done and they basically said TUFF......I really hope Dr. Clements will take me..... Anyone who can put in a good word for me with him...Ha

Edited by George

Hi George and welcome!! Congratulations on maintaining your weight loss, that's awesome!! So sorry to hear you're having some health issues, hopefully they can be resolved quickly. Thanks so much for the advice too!

Got a call from Dr. Clements office today.....missed it......gonna call tomorrow....hope it's good news

Nice nurse coordinator for Dr Clements called me and said they wanted records from UT / Memphis on my surgery and the latest endo that has been done......They take everything on a case by case basis and would make a decision after looking at it......Now of course you can't call and say send something without signing a form....went today and did endo form ......will have to fill a form off internet / sign and mail to Memphis....they will in turn mail them to Dr. Clements.....the waiting game starts.....thanks for your interest.....gonna go ahead and have colonoscopy Monday......OH THE JOY.....The doctor is gonna talk bout doing a endo at same time but if I go to Dr. Clements later I will probably let him...Just had one done in July.....also Fraid they might do bottom first.....ha  

Edited by George

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call from Vanderbilt / Dr. Clements office and they are gonna see me the last of April....blood work and see a nutritionist first....

• 7 years later...

Just ran across this page. I had gastric bypass by George Cowan in April 1991. He also found gastric cancer so he later took out most of my stomach (but not all). Is this George Cowan the Dad or a son? 

Would love to be in touch with others who used Dr. Cowan.

I lost a lot of weight to begin with, then gained more than I should have back and then have lost more and am currently at 128 w/BMI of 22.62.

Thank you.