Mrs.Browning

Any military members or spouses?

I am a mil. wife and am getting my SX at a base hosp. just wondering if anyone else has had their sx at a base hospital?

I have my first consultation with the sugeon at our base tomorrow. I am nervous, which is why I am still awae, but also very excited. I am really hoping I can get this process done quickly since I have been trying at this for 2 1/2 and a half years! I know there are others that have had their surgeries through the base though, hopefully they will all jump in here.

I'm a spouse but I didn't have surgery done on base.

Hope it all goes smoothly for you both!

I have my first consultation with the sugeon at our base tomorrow. I am nervous, which is why I am still awae, but also very excited. I am really hoping I can get this process done quickly since I have been trying at this for 2 1/2 and a half years! I know there are others that have had their surgeries through the base though, hopefully they will all jump in here.

Can I ask why you are fighting with ins. if you are going on base? I don't have to go through tricare at all. I have my consult with the surgeon on Thursday. I was told that as of a month ago they were scheduling surgeries 2 weeks out. I am hoping to have mine done before Dec. but we'll see. What WLS are you having? I am undecided between the sleeve and LB. But I am leaning more towards the sleeve.

I'm the spouse of a retired career military.

I had my surgery done at Madigan (MAMC) in WA.

I am a spouse as well but had my surgery done by a civilian surgeon. I hope everything goes well for you and we will save you a spot on the losers bench.

I'm one too.

i'm an army wife on my way out. we're stationed at fort sill, but hubby gets out next summer. from what i have seen/heard, it's a LOT less hassle if you are able to go through the base hospital. my dr. at RACH told me it'll be about a 2 month process if i keep up with ny appointments and whatnot.

Army wife here. I just had my surgery last week at civilian hospital. Our hospital on this post does not do the surgery here. If you want it done by a civilian you can request it through Tri-Care. What kind of problems are you having? I started the process in April 2009 and didn't get approval until September 2009. I had surgery October 21, 2009. You know the military, hurry up and wait. Anything I can help with?

I am an Army wife but my surgery was done by a civilian dr.

i'm an army wife on my way out. we're stationed at fort sill, but hubby gets out next summer. from what i have seen/heard, it's a LOT less hassle if you are able to go through the base hospital. my dr. at RACH told me it'll be about a 2 month process if i keep up with ny appointments and whatnot.

Yeah, it has been about 2 months. I see the surgeon on Thursday for my 1 on 1. I was told they are scheduling sx 2 weeks out. So hopefully I will be post of in 3 weeks. The part that took the longest was waiting for my nutritional medicine appt. It took me a month just to get into that appt.

i feel like it's taking forever b/c i don't even go for my group informational meeting til the 16th...but i have to keep telling myself that it's only a couple of weeks away. and, once i get that one down they can start scheduling them as quickly as they are available/as soon as i can get there! LOL

patience...it's sooooo hard when i feel thisclose. i can't even imagine how it must be for you!!!!

Anything I can help with?

Big Congratulations for getting through Tri-Care. From what I have been reading being approved, and what hoops you need to jump through to be approved, are different depending on where you live. Do have have any advise on how to address my Dr. And how to deal with Tri-care. Also curious if Tri-Care will pay for a Tummy Tuck. I'm thinking the would. I know someone who just had one here after having several kids and still always looking prego. She did it on base and had to pay a small fee. But nothing compared to what she would have if she had gone off base.

Also. What did everyone have to go throuh to be aprroved. It seems to be differnt at every base.

I went last month to the Dr. for my regular blood work and check up. I complained again about my severe yo-yoing weight. The Dr. was incompetent about my general BC needs. But did suggest going to the nutritionist. I agreed. But the only day they do nutritional appointments are Tuesday afternoons. And I am at schools Tuesday afternoons and Fridays. I asked to be refereed off base and was told that it was not allowed. (I know better!) So back to the Dr. I go. Is going to a nutritionist a must?

Also. What did everyone have to go throuh to be aprroved. It seems to be differnt at every base.

I went last month to the Dr. for my regular blood work and check up. I complained again about my severe yo-yoing weight. The Dr. was incompetent about my general BC needs. But did suggest going to the nutritionist. I agreed. But the only day they do nutritional appointments are Tuesday afternoons. And I am at schools Tuesday afternoons and Fridays. I asked to be refereed off base and was told that it was not allowed. (I know better!) So back to the Dr. I go. Is going to a nutritionist a must?

Here are the steps I went through:

Appt. w/pcm for referral to WLS Dr.

Went to the referral center and they scheduled me for my group info. class.

While in that class they gave everyone a packet of the things we had to do.

The surgeon put in the referral for all the places I had to go.

I had to go to the lab and get lots of blood drawn.

Psyc called me and it was off base. I went to that appt.

I had to go to a support meeting on base. They do them here the 1st Thurs. of every month.

And nutrition appt. I go tomorrow. That was the one that took forever to get into.

Once I was done with all that then I could schedule my 1on1 with the surgeon. But I scheduled it once I had the nut. appt. b/c it took me so long to get in....the surgeons nurse told me to do that.

Then I meet with my surgeon on Thurs. and go from there.

Hope this helps! It was so wonderful when I heard I could get it done on base for free to very little cost.

i feel like it's taking forever b/c i don't even go for my group informational meeting til the 16th...but i have to keep telling myself that it's only a couple of weeks away. and, once i get that one down they can start scheduling them as quickly as they are available/as soon as i can get there! LOL

patience...it's sooooo hard when i feel thisclose. i can't even imagine how it must be for you!!!!

The nutritionist office called me last week to cancel the appt. I had originally scheduled with them. I called in beginning of Sept. and last week was the earliest they could get me in. I had all my steps done weeks ago and was just waiting on this nut. appt. When they called to cancel they said the next appt. was the end of Nov. I was sooooo pissed. But the nutritionist called me and got me in for tomorrow. So now everything is back on track. I am so excited buy yet nervous.

Well we should all be used to the military lifestyle of hurry up an wait!

ALWAYS with the hurry up and wait! LOL

Army wife here. I just had my surgery last week at civilian hospital. Our hospital on this post does not do the surgery here. If you want it done by a civilian you can request it through Tri-Care. What kind of problems are you having? I started the process in April 2009 and didn't get approval until September 2009. I had surgery October 21, 2009. You know the military, hurry up and wait. Anything I can help with?

Here are the steps I went through:

Appt. w/pcm for referral to WLS Dr.

Went to the referral center and they scheduled me for my group info. class.

While in that class they gave everyone a packet of the things we had to do.

The surgeon put in the referral for all the places I had to go.

I had to go to the lab and get lots of blood drawn.

Psyc called me and it was off base. I went to that appt.

I had to go to a support meeting on base. They do them here the 1st Thurs. of every month.

And nutrition appt. I go tomorrow. That was the one that took forever to get into.

Once I was done with all that then I could schedule my 1on1 with the surgeon. But I scheduled it once I had the nut. appt. b/c it took me so long to get in....the surgeons nurse told me to do that.

Then I meet with my surgeon on Thurs. and go from there.

Hope this helps! It was so wonderful when I heard I could get it done on base for free to very little cost.

Actually this really helped me a lot!!! Thank you!!

Can I ask why you are fighting with ins. if you are going on base? I don't have to go through tricare at all. I have my consult with the surgeon on Thursday. I was told that as of a month ago they were scheduling surgeries 2 weeks out. I am hoping to have mine done before Dec. but we'll see. What WLS are you having? I am undecided between the sleeve and LB. But I am leaning more towards the sleeve.

My process originally started in Texas and it was off base. Tricare denied it even though my BMI was just over 40 at the time. At my consultation today they assured me I would not have to deal with insurance companies if I ahve my surgery on base so that is a huge relief. My consultation went awesome and I have a few things to do like the psych eval and to see the nutritionist once again (for about the 30th time in 6 years-ugh) but other than that it seems promising that I will qualify for the surgery and will be well on my way. Of course, I won't beleive any of it until I am on the operating table, haha.

Sorry, I did not answer your last question. I want the bypass not the sleeve or the lapband. Research I have done and also information I received from the surgeon today help to make my decision for the bypass. It is just the best choice for me. The surgeon and I will talk more when the time comes to decide.

Edited by Linette
wrong word used...so sleepy :)

Linette, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Please keep us informed of your progress.

Linette, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Please keep us informed of your progress.

Thank you!! I am actually going to a support group tonight offered through the base. It is ran by the psychologist that the bariatric clinic uses so I am hoping to get some more information from the people there. I have had a couple of friends who had gastric bypasses so I have a lot of knowledge at my fingertips between them and this boards so I feel blessed.

How exciting!! How did it go??

It went fantastic! I spoke with the psychologist one on one for about 20 minutes-she came and assked if she had seen me in her office yet. She is awesome! She has had a lap band done herself and is very open about her experiences and funny!! It was nice to meet a couple of the other people there. Some were four years out from surgery and some were 3 weeks out so it was cool to hear about different experiences. They said the meeting was optional but I am glad I went! I got my nutritionist appointment today, it is a week after my psych eval. I am going to try to call tomorrow to make the appointment for the one on one consultation with the surgeon. Now that I have the two main things scheduled I want to get my appointment with him scheduled ASAP. This process cannot move fast enough for me, but then again I started this in 2007 so it seems a lot longer to me, haha.

Marine Wife here! I am at Camp Pendleton, but having surgery in San Diego at Balboa Naval Hospital. I love the docs there and I love my surgeon. He is soooo nice. I was able to make ALL the appointments on the pre op form in one day! I should be in in about a month or two.