I have read so much about protein shakes I thought I would share some of my experiences with it. I have only ever tried vanilla.

1. Don

Thanks for the tips. I noticed last night that Skim milk has 25g sugar. I know that's too much for juices and stuff, but does milk get a pass? Or should we be avoiding all beverages with this much sugar?

Not sure with your allergies or not, but MOST bypassed people need WHEY ISOLATE protein for proper absorption.

Also don't buy too much of any one protein prior to surgery. Many people find that what they liked pre-op is untolerable post-op.

And one really does need to play around with how and what they mix their protien with, as it really does seem to be an individual thing with what works.

What flavors do the protien shakes come in. I will be having surgery on September 15, I am trying to learn as much as I can about do's and don'ts.

What flavors do the protien shakes come in. I will be having surgery on September 15, I am trying to learn as much as I can about do's and don'ts.

Go to Vitalady.com - Protein Supplements, Vitamins & Minerals, and Safe Snacks! and order her samples.. tons of different flavors. Don't stock up until after surgery, though.

We bought whey protein powder. I mix it with some equal, a little milk powder, a half packet of Crystal lite. Add cold water and stir. Not bad, either, but my husband refuses to drink any of them.

According to me,The protein is one of the most important nutrients to human body. However, in our hasty lives, we fail to fulfill the basic protein requirements of the body. Thanks

I found, like Twiggy, I can't drink Whey Protein, however, I don't have a wheat intolerance. (I dump, immediately...)

It's good advice not to stock up on too much because post-op it's possible you may not be able to drink what you have at home. It is a good idea though to have some things at home to try and someone who can go out and shop if need be. Even better if you can give them a semi-exact list to shop from... My mom helped me during recovery and she found shopping really frustrating due to amount of sugar I was allowed per serving.

Which leads me to my next point.... Keep in mind that the "sugar per serving" is usually for an entire portion - like those little yogurt cups were too high post-op if I was eating a whole one but one tbsp wasn't - so for keeping an eye on it, divide those numbers by whatever % of the serving you are actually eating.

:)

Do you drink the protein in between meals or use as a meal? Do you just sip sip sip, or are you able to just drink it down? How long should you take to drink it? Water ok before and after or do you wait the 30 minutes before and after?

Do you drink the protein in between meals or use as a meal? Do you just sip sip sip, or are you able to just drink it down? How long should you take to drink it? Water ok before and after or do you wait the 30 minutes before and after?

There are regular protein drinks and actual meal replacements. I've noticed that the meal replacements are actually a lot thicker, but I am pre-op and to get my protein in now I am drinking a MR each morning since I'm not used to eating breakfast. If I'm not hungry at lunch I just do it again. I am used to only eating once a day, but that was how I got so big so now I am working on it. Not sure if that helped at all though :)

I found I couldn't drink many of the meal replacements because they were too high in sugar or made me dump. So, post op, always sip. No straws, no gulping, nothing. And I did protein shakes as my "food" and then half an hour later did water. Ask your surgeon or a dietician if you need any MAJOR advice. My surgeon actually recommended "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" and it was a great resource.

I found I couldn't drink many of the meal replacements because they were too high in sugar or made me dump. So, post op, always sip. No straws, no gulping, nothing. And I did protein shakes as my "food" and then half an hour later did water. Ask your surgeon or a dietician if you need any MAJOR advice. My surgeon actually recommended "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" and it was a great resource.

Thanks for mentioning Weight Loss Surgeries for Dummies... I'll be taking a look into that!!