sweetchick111

newbie...debating on GBP vs Lap band

ok i tried looking for this because im sure it has been a discussion before

I am in the process of getting WLS I've done everything that was needed and even submitted a authorization request( it got denied but not worried) I am still stuck as to which procedure I should get...

my surgeon is all for Lapband surgery however I need to loose like over 200 pounds.... I dont think this seems realistic with the lap band I heard there is like a 40% failure rate!

on the other hand bypass surgery seems so severe...

can i get input on both surgeries from those of you that have had the surgery already.

I would greatly appreciate it....

:confused:

ok i tried looking for this because im sure it has been a discussion before

I am in the process of getting WLS I've done everything that was needed and even submitted a authorization request( it got denied but not worried) I am still stuck as to which procedure I should get...

my surgeon is all for Lapband surgery however I need to loose like over 200 pounds.... I dont think this seems realistic with the lap band I heard there is like a 40% failure rate!

on the other hand bypass surgery seems so severe...

can i get input on both surgeries from those of you that have had the surgery already.

I would greatly appreciate it....

:confused:

Go to the Advanced search at the top right hand side of the screen... do a search on the TAG "Deciding".. that will bring up quite a few past discussions on the hows & whys people choose the surgery they did.

Good luck. It is a very personal decision you need to make.. and from my own stand point, it seems that most have very strong opinions on one or the other particular surgery.

I couldn't agree more. Do more research, and come to your own decision. Whatever you decide, it has to be the right decision for you.

Having said that, most surgeons will recommend RNY WLS (what you are caling GBP) for anyone 100 pounds overweight or over. However, I have gone into chat rooms where people have been very successful with losing hundreds of pounds with the lap-band.

This is what I was told when I went to the initial weight loss seminar: If you are the type of person who generally eats healthy, but you tend to eat huge portions at meals/2nds/3rds, etc., then the band is recommended. IF (like myself,) your weight problems are caused more from eating lots of fats/sugar/junk/etc., then the bypass is a better choice.

I had originally been leaning toward the band, but after going to the seminar and talking with the doctors there, I realized that with my years of BAD eating habits/food choices, I would stand a better chance at success with the bypass.

I've never regretted the choice, and I'm so glad I went with the bypass...:):)

Good luck!!

Whichever procedure you choose will be the right one, own it! I was 200+ over my ideal body weight my surgeon told me the pro's and con's for each type of procedure. He then left it up to me and my family. I have never regretted the decision I made.

It's my understanding that the lap band is more effective for those who have less weight to lose. Also, it seems they are discovering a lot of people with lap bands have problems down the road and they have to be removed. I personally didn't like the idea of having a foreign object in my body. I also didn't like the idea of having to get regular fills. But I know some people are more disturbed by the idea of having their insides rerouted by gastric bypass. I guess it's a personal thing.

As someone else said, my doctor told me the lap band was most effective for people who just needed portion control but who were able to make healthy food choices. Based on the amount of weight I needed to lose, and on my eating habits (lots of carbs and high-fat foods), my surgeon recommended the gastric bypass for me. And I felt most comfortable with that.

What are the reasons your doctor gives you for recommending lap band? Do you agree with those reasons? Continue to do your own research. It's a very important decision.

Kelly

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I had my GBP on 5/15/09 and that it's really not so "drastic" after a couple of weeks. Sure, the 1st few days I was sore and I could only drink my food. However, gradually, I've been able to incorporate other foods into my diet. Since I began my liquid diet (May 10) I have lost a little over 30 lbs.

Bottom line: I can't really speak for the Lap Band, but I'm certain there are numerous stories with regard to its success. I chose the GBP because I wanted the procedure that had the highest record of success. My doctor assured me I could get off all my high blood pressure and diabetes medications if I followed his advice and that I would be at my "normal/correct" weight in less than one year. He was right! I'm off all my medications and my weightloss is progressing nicely.

GBP seems pretty fail-safe: you can only eat what you can eat and that's not very much...but, I'm just as satisfied as if I had eaten 10 times that amount before the surgery.

Either way, good luck and God Bless and I'm sure you're taking the right step toward a more healthy, happy and fulfilling life.

It's my understanding that the lap band is more effective for those who have less weight to lose. Also, it seems they are discovering a lot of people with lap bands have problems down the road and they have to be removed. I personally didn't like the idea of having a foreign object in my body. I also didn't like the idea of having to get regular fills. But I know some people are more disturbed by the idea of having their insides rerouted by gastric bypass. I guess it's a personal thing.

As someone else said, my doctor told me the lap band was most effective for people who just needed portion control but who were able to make healthy food choices. Based on the amount of weight I needed to lose, and on my eating habits (lots of carbs and high-fat foods), my surgeon recommended the gastric bypass for me. And I felt most comfortable with that.

What are the reasons your doctor gives you for recommending lap band? Do you agree with those reasons? Continue to do your own research. It's a very important decision.

Kelly

his reasoning simply because he prefers it.... my surgeon said he would not feel comfortable performing GBP so he referred me to another surgeon....

I dislike that Im feeling forced to go with Lapband... initially I told him how I felt about both surgeries but he went ahead and submitted the paperwork for lab band!

thanks for your input :)

Well, in that case, I would want to talk to another surgeon. The surgeon should give you good reasons for whatever recommendation he or she makes. And "I just prefer it" isn't a good reason!

Kelly

his reasoning simply because he prefers it.... my surgeon said he would not feel comfortable performing GBP so he referred me to another surgeon....

I dislike that Im feeling forced to go with Lapband... initially I told him how I felt about both surgeries but he went ahead and submitted the paperwork for lab band!

Personally, given what you say here.. I would be dropping that surgeon so fast his head would spin. It is my body and there is no way in hell I'd let someone 'force' me to choose one over the other... *I* am the one that lives with the consequences of this decision, not some doctor.

Whatever you decide.. good luck.

Edited by mistymee

thanks mistymee....

I agree...

I think that its that why for the whole program i am doing.... 98% of the people in the support groups have had Lap band surgery..that is what the program pushes and what the surgeon prefers!... .one lap band patient had only lost 55 lbs in over a year...

that is kind of scary to of getting surgery only to have it fail!

I really appreciate your input!

Poet kelly

funny thing is I never felt comfortable with that surgeon.... so maybe its a good thing!

I overheard him talking in the next room with another patient... he then came into see me..

I heard the same exact speech twice!!! sad I know!

This is what I was told when I went to the initial weight loss seminar: If you are the type of person who generally eats healthy, but you tend to eat huge portions at meals/2nds/3rds, etc., then the band is recommended. IF (like myself,) your weight problems are caused more from eating lots of fats/sugar/junk/etc., then the bypass is a better choice.

I had originally been leaning toward the band, but after going to the seminar and talking with the doctors there, I realized that with my years of BAD eating habits/food choices, I would stand a better chance at success with the bypass.

I've never regretted the choice, and I'm so glad I went with the bypass...:):)

Good luck!!

well I had lapband in December 08 and have lost over 85 pounds thus far- I have 30 pounds more to go (20 would make me jump for joy) I dont regret my decision - BUT it is YOUR decision- I too wouldnt even talk to that surgeon again- he needs to listen to your thoughts and feeling too and not just make the choice for you- but like said lapband is good if you had problems controlling portion (totally me) I was never a junk food eater. Again whatever you decide stand by your decision and way all your options pros and cons and research it- I picked lapband for the reasons I mentioned plus in my own little reasonings I felt it was not totally permanent- it could be removed rather quickly if need be AND the biggest reason is I absorb all my vitamins in food- which is a big problem with RNY-

good luck to you!!!

There are definitely good reasons to go with the lap band, and it works well for some people. It's just that a good surgeon should explain the pros and cons of all procedures to you, and should make recommendations based on your individual circumstances. And you should absolutely feel comfortable with your surgeon. You're going to have to be working with him or her closely for a long time.

Kelly

Hi swt, I personally have the band and saw that your doc put you for the band, if you feel like you where forced into that option and that it isn't the right one for you then tell your doc about it. Yes you may have to go through all this again BUT if you get the band and then decide it isn't the wrong one for you then you'll just have to go through it all again. Everyone is personal preference, I was only ever given the option of the band because my hospital paid for my surgery but even if I was given the option of bypass or sleeve I still would have chosen the band, but that's just me. Everyone is always contradicting one surgery or another like people saying the band only has a certain percentage of success or the bypass people gain there weight back after 5 years but unless you actually know these people and they've failed then really does it matter? If you need any info about the band feel free to message me =)

thanks mistymee....

I agree...

I think that its that why for the whole program i am doing.... 98% of the people in the support groups have had Lap band surgery..that is what the program pushes and what the surgeon prefers!... .one lap band patient had only lost 55 lbs in over a year...

that is kind of scary to of getting surgery only to have it fail!

I really appreciate your input!

55lbs is better than nothing if you've been struggling with your weight your entire life.

55lbs is better than nothing if you've been struggling with your weight your entire life.

For me, I had too many lbs to lose... I'd be seriously pissed if I'd had a surgical procedure to lose weight and only lost 55 lbs.

yeah but serously 55 lbs after a year...

I did that in one summer!!!!! not to brag but obviosly have issues!

I think you are right though... I should actually talk to people about!

I guess just cause the majority of people say they struggle greatly even up to a year later to loose weight.... Im getting this surgery because I've already struggled with my weight... I dont want to continue to do so!!

I shall keep going and getting input

Just so you know... the surgery gives you a tool that will help you lose weight, but you do still have to work at it.

Kelly

Just so you know... the surgery gives you a tool that will help you lose weight, but you do still have to work at it.

Kelly

I am aware... and prepared, excited to do so but I guess when I hear the support group people talk about it, it a makes me wonder if Lap band is right for me!! I am 342 the highest now ever!!! ideally i would need to loose about 215 lbs to be at an average... anything less and I'd still be mildly obese!!!

I am really appreciating all your input in this especially because you have been through it and know what you are talking about!

Hello everyone. I am new to Thinner Times Forum. Your posts are soooo helpful. I thank God for all of you. I too am awaiting approval for WLS. The Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is another option to the RNY (Gastric Bypass) and the Lap Band. It's just a bit tougher to get insurance approval at this juncture although some companies do. I have been researching for months and have decided to go for the Sleeve. If however I can not get approved through my health insurance I have decided to go with the bypass. If you want information on the VSG, you can google it or go here for starters: What is the VERTICAL SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY (gastric sleeve) procedure? and at this website you post your question on the message board and get a thorough answer from an expert MD... Bariatric Surgery: Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, dilation erosion, esophageal dilation

To be honest all of the WLS procedures are a little scary to me. I find myself sometimes thinking "what if..." like what if I get the sleeve and my narrow stomach becomes inflamed and nothing will fit inside!!?? or What happens to the part of the stomach in the bypass that remains dormant?? What if something goes wrong with that part?? That said, my heart is set on the Sleeve, however it has been a comfort to hear encouraging testimonial to the Gastric Bypass. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. This is so supportive...Your all so courageous.

Hello everyone. I am new to Thinner Times Forum. Your posts are soooo helpful. I thank God for all of you. I too am awaiting approval for WLS. The Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is another option to the RNY (Gastric Bypass) and the Lap Band. It's just a bit tougher to get insurance approval at this juncture although some companies do. I have been researching for months and have decided to go for the Sleeve. If however I can not get approved through my health insurance I have decided to go with the bypass. If you want information on the VSG, you can google it or go here for starters: What is the VERTICAL SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY (gastric sleeve) procedure? and at this website you post your question on the message board and get a thorough answer from an expert MD... Bariatric Surgery: Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, dilation erosion, esophageal dilation

To be honest all of the WLS procedures are a little scary to me. I find myself sometimes thinking "what if..." like what if I get the sleeve and my narrow stomach becomes inflamed and nothing will fit inside!!?? or What happens to the part of the stomach in the bypass that remains dormant?? What if something goes wrong with that part?? That said, my heart is set on the Sleeve, however it has been a comfort to hear encouraging testimonial to the Gastric Bypass. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. This is so supportive...Your all so courageous.

I hadnt even heard about this but nonetheless my hospital only offers the two most common WLS

I did hear there is a new one that is understudy called TOGA....

wonder how that will turn out and what its succes rate is...

now if that was available I'd totally go with that!