allicatFL

Like watching paint dry

I got insurance approval several weeks ago. I thought the aggravating part was done. Nope, the pre-op stuff is way worse! I had to get clearances from pulmonary and cardiology. Pulmonary only took a week to get an appointment with. The surgeon is requiring this because I used to smoke. I go the lung doc and he wants to have PFTs done. I have to wait 2 weeks for those to be done. Ugh! I get in with cardiology today (took 2 weeks for an appointment). My only risk factor is that I am diabetic. They do an EKG and it is normal. Great! All done, right? Nope. That would be far too easy. The doc wants me to get an echo and cardiac PET scan. I have to wait three weeks for the first available appointment. Ugh!! For the love of GOD! This is so frustrating. Good thing I do not need some sort of emergency or urgent surgery. This is snail's pace. The best I can hope for is to have the clearances by the beginning of June.

I hate the fact that I am having these very expensive cardiac test done and I have no cardiac issues at all. I am still kinda young (37 yrs) and have no chest pain, murmur, ect. It just seems a little overboard.

Ok, I am done whining. I was unprepared for the delays between insurance approval and getting a surgical date.

My insurance had told me I was approved right away but it took several months for all the tests and results and all. Dont worry though, time goes fast. At least you got approved! Think of all those people that dont! I got my bills today for the hospital and anestesia and it totaled up to over 33grand! All but about 1300 was paid so I am counting my blessings for my insurance:)

I know you are anxious...I was too! Now Im a month out and down 25lbs and I cant believe how fast the time has gone. Hang in there! Best of luck with everything! Its frustrating but all the testing is for your own good:D

Thanks Lisa! I guess I just had not thought about the pre-op clearances. I have been looking into bariatric surgery for a few years now. I had in my head that the six month medically supervised diet and insurance approval would be the longest and most frustrating part of the pre-op part. Doh!

The cardio doc was very kind and took time to explain his reasons for ordering the tests. I understood his point, but, it sounded a bit like defensive medicine. You know, let's do every test just in case. I am going to try something new today. I am going to take out my irritation on the wii fit. Look out Mini Mii!! It is on today LOL!~

Look out Wii Fit you are about to get your a** kicked LOL. I always forget about that torturous 6 month supervised diet thing...I didnt have to do it thank goodness. I had lost over a hundred on my own a few yrs back and let it sneak back on after all that work. Decided I needed the extra help and so far so good! Hope you get good news very soon:D

How long ago did you smoke? I quit 5 years ago now, I wonder if I'll have to go thru that.

I had all those tests too, but my Surgeon had me do them while I was going through the 6 months of supervised weight loss with my PCP. Once I was approved, I only had to wait for the Surgeons schedule. It will be so worth it, and the time will pass quickly! Thinking of you.

The only pre-op testing I've gone for at this point is the endoscopy. I don't have sleep apnea so I didn't need a sleep study and I don't have diabetes but I do have PCOS and take metformin. I wonder what tests I'm going to have to do