Want2bthinRN

Any RN's with Gastric Bypass?

I am a dermatology nurse with a very busy clinic. I was off for 5 weeks. When I returned to work, I was really eager to get back.

I am not a nurse but when I had my surgery last week, the nurses I had were wonderful! 6 of the nurses on that wing had gone through exactly what I did and thier insight was very much appreciated.

My daughter is also in school to be an RN and her surgery is coming up 9?2/2010. I hope she does as well as I have.

Chris

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but I just had to comment as a nurse. At the time of my surgery I worked on a Spinal cord injury/ortho floor so needless to say the weight restrictions really applied. I was originally going to stay out 3 weeks. When I went back, everyone was telling me I looked pale and that I looked like I was going to pass out. I couldn't handle it, so I took another 3 weeks off. When I had gone back after the 6 weeks, I felt awesome.

Now, I have changed hospitals, due to layoffs. I work a med/surg/ortho floor. My issues now are drinking enough, finding time to pee, and taking meal breaks. These are very common with all nurses, but someone that has had WLS needs to take care of themselves while doing such a hard and tasking job.

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but I just had to comment as a nurse. At the time of my surgery I worked on a Spinal cord injury/ortho floor so needless to say the weight restrictions really applied. I was originally going to stay out 3 weeks. When I went back, everyone was telling me I looked pale and that I looked like I was going to pass out. I couldn't handle it, so I took another 3 weeks off. When I had gone back after the 6 weeks, I felt awesome.

Now, I have changed hospitals, due to layoffs. I work a med/surg/ortho floor. My issues now are drinking enough, finding time to pee, and taking meal breaks. These are very common with all nurses, but someone that has had WLS needs to take care of themselves while doing such a hard and tasking job.

My surgeon said 2 weeks is sufficient, but I took off 5 weeks. 5 weeks was sufficient for me as an RN. I think sedentary workers would do well with 2 weeks, but not clinical direct care giving RNs. I took bottle water to work, my protein shakes and meals. Yes, it is very challenging as a nurse going back to work following WLS.

I used to be a critical care RN (25 years, Lord, Lord), but now have a computer job (Medical Necessity for Outpt Diagnostics)........took 2 weeks off and am going back on Monday. No lifting or pulling on patients or manhandling equipment anymore, so I should be fine...

Energy level is a little low, but it's getting better every day!

GO NURSES!

Nancy:)

I was off 3 months due to lift restrictions...not allowed to lift more than 10 lbs. Job required ability to lift 50 lbs.

Just out of curousity, was your surgery open or laprascopic? The reason I ask, is I am a nurse that has to dead lift an 80 pound patient, multiple times in a day. I am hoping to have surgery end of January. My surgeon said weight restriction for only two weeks. I am planning on taking 4-6 weeks off.

Kudos to all the other nurses working on getting healthier, you all are an inspiration to me!

I am an RN and just had my gastric bypass. My doctor has me on a weight lifting restriction on15 lbs. I am going back on 10/8 to hopefullu get released to return to work. I am an inpatient case manager now but I have been an ER/ICU/CCU nurse for 15 years prior to moving to case management.

I 12 hour nights in a very busy ER. I have really been having a hard time because of my weight, back pain, foot pain, everywhere pain. SOB a lot also. I am on my 6 month supervised wt loss program my insurance requires and hope to have my surgery in April because I have a week off from school. I am also in a full time RN to BSN program. I have been a nurse for 29 years and now I am finally going back to school. Will get my Master's Degree next. I am hoping to only take 3 weeks off and come back with light duty- just do triage.