twistedx

I'm Travis (27 years old)

I am having the GB on May 4th so I wanted to get on some support forums. I currently weigh a little over 400 pounds. I am 6'2", and I have 6 herniated disc in my back. I am hoping the weight loss will help my back get better. Wish me luck!

Travis

Good luck Travis!! You'll love it! I bet it helps your back and every other thing that you might have. I haven't taken high blood pressure medicine since my surgery on Oct 7th. I feel awesome and you will too. Be proud of yourself for wanting a fresh start in life. Tina :)

Welcome Travis!

This is a terrific forum and I know you'll get the support and advice needed during your weeks before surgery.

Do plenty of reading and ask away.

Hi and welcome

we can make room for you on the loosers bench, I am proud to be a looser. its amazing how much information you can find and how much support you can get on these boards. Read a lot and ask questions.

I fear my liver will still be to big and they will have to cut me open to do the surgery. I am following the diet to the letter, but it was only a 2 week diet they gave me. I actually started it a week early, but I am still afraid it won't be small enough.

Any thoughts on this?

Travis

I fear my liver will still be to big and they will have to cut me open to do the surgery. I am following the diet to the letter, but it was only a 2 week diet they gave me. I actually started it a week early, but I am still afraid it won't be small enough.

Any thoughts on this?

Travis

Have you been told you have a fatty liver in former tests? I had a fatty liver (according to blood work) and it was acceptable by surgery time with the 2 week diet before surgery.

Have you been told you have a fatty liver in former tests? I had a fatty liver (according to blood work) and it was acceptable by surgery time with the 2 week diet before surgery.

I have not been told, but I have had a problem with high liver enzymes in the past. I just had blood work done yesterday.

Hi Travis and welcome to the family.

Follow the diet to the letter, try getting out and doing some walking, and drink a ton of water. Basically do what ever you can to get down to where you need to be and that should help as far as being opened or not.

Sometimes it isn't something that can be helped, but STAY positive and see yourself going into it and coming out with it LAP and NOT open.

I am having the GB on May 4th so I wanted to get on some support forums. I currently weigh a little over 400 pounds. I am 6'2", and I have 6 herniated disc in my back. I am hoping the weight loss will help my back get better. Wish me luck!

Travis

Welcome to Thinner Times, Travis.

Taking the pressure of your front off your back, will help a lot with your back. I couldn't walk 10 feet without throwing my back out and looking for a place to sit. I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes, I needed a chair in the kitchen to cook. I don't have your current back situation, but I know for sure that getting that weight off absolutely has to help. I can now walk a mile with no back pain. I can stand for hours and hours and not need a seat.

13 days and counting down. Congratulations!!! 1-big_hug.gif

Edited by Marella
fixed spelling and syntax

God Marella .. that is exactly my issues too ... I can't wait until I don't have to sit to cook and do dishes anymore.

What a wonderful day that will be in my life :)

It was weird. I honestly didn't notice my increasing standing and walking ability. The changes happened so gradually.

During the 2008 holidays we had some out-of-country business associates in and I absolutely had to have a dinner party -- my first one in double digit years. Though I couldn't eat it, I cooked it. After spending more than an hour in the supermarket -- walking instead of riding the motorcart -- I'm in my 3rd hour of preparation and I suddenly noticed that I'm in my 3rd hour of preparation and I haven't sat down yet. I was having so much fun stuffing shells, making the desserts, cleaning the house, that I hadn't noticed that I wasn't in any pain. You'd have sworn I was on something I felt so great.

That was my turning point, the day I noticed... the loss was a bit over 100 pounds at the time and it made huge changes. Though I can't tell you exactly when those challenges went away prior to that day, I can tell you that the last time I used a motorized cart was November 23, 2008, two days before my 50th birthday. One thing I like to do now, and WOW it every single time, is walk Walmart.

You'll get there... my advice: journal better than me. I should have been more detailed in my notes -- just didn't think of it. WOW, so many changes. You're on the losing side... You'll love them all!!!

Thank you Marella. I love your spirit and how you word things. I've never been able to walk around Walmart it's just too big.

One day I will ... I feel it in me bones :D

... I had mentioned somewhere I can't remember where now that a little wow moment for me is being able to get in our clawfoot tub now and stand long enough to not only wash me but to wash my hair and condition it as well. That is really a wow moment when only a few months ago I couldn't even climb up into it.

It's all about those little victories adding up to winning that war ;)

Good luck! I am on the last day of my liquid diet, I've been on it since April 5th. It gets a little tough at times...just come here for inspiration and support! Good luck!

Travis, I have lost 116lbs so far, and the best suggestion we can give you is to follow the Dr's directors to the letter.... You have trusted him to assist you and give you the tools needed to loose the weight. If he gave you a diet, follow it.

I was told that the liver needs to be healthy because they have to move it / go around it, and if it is too big they might have to open up instead of doing the surgery liposcopically. Just follow the diet .. and hope for the best. Be sure to share your concerns with your Dr as well.

Any thoughts on this?

Travis

Hi Travis, and welcome to T-T!

More than likely, your liver will be in good shape if you follow your liquid diet at least for the length of time your surgeon requires. Don't cheat!

And with reference to your first post, I have degenerative lumbar spine disease (spinal stenosis), and I was in a wheelchair/walker when I began my journey. NO LONGER! I have NO pain at all now! I wish the same for you!

Best of luck!

And with reference to your first post, I have degenerative lumbar spine disease (spinal stenosis), and I was in a wheelchair/walker when I began my journey. NO LONGER! I have NO pain at all now! I wish the same for you! Best of luck!

Now Claire, Travis, is inspiration for those with back problems... kickin' that wheelchair to the junk yard.

I still have my cane. I keep it as a reminder of what life was once like for me... and every single day I take my dog for a walk, I celebrate the fact that I can.

You will have your celebrations... many of them!

Edited by Marella

Thank you all who replied. I am getting very excited and ready to start this journey. Only problem is trying to get my house good and clean so people can come visit me after I get home. Anyone want to come clean it up :D

I have 10 days to go. Been drinking and eating a lot of protein. Grilled Sea Bass and Grouper are my favorite fish to grill. And Chicken breast are good. I even do Turkey burgers, but only eat the turkey. My portion size has decreased a lot this past week. But I still have times at night when I want to eat something, but I just grab a low carb slim fast and I'm good.

My diet is basically a protein shake at 830am, a low carb slimfast at 11am, a low carb smart one meal at 130pm, an Atkins Advantage drink around 3pm, dinner around 630pm and if hungry another slim fast around 900pm. I am going to try to cut a little more down this coming week. Is that a good idea? Seems like I'm eating and drink a lot!

Thanks,

Travis

Is that the diet recommended to you by your doc/NUT? ...especially for the pre-op liver shrinking portion (unless that part hasn't started yet for you). Most of us had to do an all liquid protein diet, 7 to 14 days prior to surgery. Some lucky ones were allowed certain foods.

As long as you are following what is recommended by your health professional TO THE LETTER for your best surgical and health outcome, I find nothing wrong with what you are consuming.

If you have no guidelines, and you're concerned, add up the calories and fat content to see where it stands. It's the fat content that needs to be reduced dramatically to shrink the liver.

If you have any paperwork, check it over. Before I was banded, I completely forgot about my pre-op diet... yes, I had the paperwork, yes, my NUT went over it with me... it was stressed but it wasn't STRESSED, and I don't ever remember being told why -- the importance of it.

They basically told me to go on the Atkins diet. I am eating about 95 - 100grams of protein, 29gram of fat, and 27grams of carbs. I am also drinking about 140oz of water a day.

Travis

Is that the diet recommended to you by your doc/NUT? ...especially for the pre-op liver shrinking portion (unless that part hasn't started yet for you). Most of us had to do an all liquid protein diet, 7 to 14 days prior to surgery. Some lucky ones were allowed certain foods.

As long as you are following what is recommended by your health professional TO THE LETTER for your best surgical and health outcome, I find nothing wrong with what you are consuming.

If you have no guidelines, and you're concerned, add up the calories and fat content to see where it stands. It's the fat content that needs to be reduced dramatically to shrink the liver.

If you have any paperwork, check it over. Before I was banded, I completely forgot about my pre-op diet... yes, I had the paperwork, yes, my NUT went over it with me... it was stressed but it wasn't STRESSED, and I don't ever remember being told why -- the importance of it.

So you won't be having an all liquid pre-op diet phase? for even a few days before surgery?

BTW: those numbers DO sound OK to me... but I'm still concerned. I have to assume that your surgeon knows more about your insides and is confident. It seems that no two programs are exactly the same.

Edited by Marella

Hi Travis! Welcome and it looks like your diet is great! High protein/low carb is excellent!

I also noticed you have a guitar in your avitar!...is that you playing? ((I play too!)) :D

So you won't be having an all liquid pre-op diet phase? for even a few days before surgery?

BTW: those numbers DO sound OK to me... but I'm still concerned. I have to assume that your surgeon knows more about your insides and is confident. It seems that no two programs are exactly the same.

Nope. I was thinking of doing it my self for the last 2-3 days to really flush myself.