Anyone's face break out after surgery? I've NEVER had problems with acne...and all of a sudden this past month, my face has exploded. Just wondering if it may have to do with hormones changing or something?? Could just be total coinsidence!

Yep, it's your hormones. Fat cells contain hormones, and as you lose weight, those hormones are released into the body. This causes mood swings, acne, etc...kind of like a REALLY bad case of PMS. :D

Does it go away?

Yes, it should improve after the first 3 or 4 months...after the weight loss slows to a normal rate.

In the meantime, try some Proactive...or the generic Proactive at Walmart. You'll probably want to change your foundation to a non-comedogenic (sp?) one as well.

I don't think it is just hormones, I think it is toxins. Fat cells hold toxins, it is our bodies way of protecting our blood, bones and nervous system. As we lose the weight and the fat cells shrink, the toxins are released back into our systems. It is why you might go through certain things like mood swings or boils or rash's or acne etc... it has all been stored. This is why it is so very important to drink lots of fluids!

I would guess it's the hormones. My face didn't break out, though. In fact, my skin got better. It's a little on the dry side now, when it used to be very oily. I'd rather deal with the slight dryness.

Kelly

My skin improved dramatically after having my surgery.

I've always had oily skin and now my skin is the closest to 'normal' it's ever been and I LOVE IT!.

That's the thing with this surgery...it affects all of us differently.

Hormones. Especially in women. I was told that we store more in our fat cells than men, so it packs us an extra whallop. I have been in a depression since surgery (well, *extra* depression) that Zoloft and Effexor (together) can't touch. I'm just pushing through, but these hormones are a #*%$#.

I know this is a little late but I have acne that is driving me crazy. It i something that has just started about a week or two ago. I am 8 weeks post op. I always get acne, but NOT like this. I'm used to maybe one or two pimples on my face, now I have at least five or six on my nose alone. My nose is getting oily everyday and a new pimple pops up everyday. It hurts too. Its not all over my face, just where my glasses are, and theyre plastic frames, not the "metal" frames that irritate some people's skin. I was also diagnosed with PCOS about a year or so ago so I was thinking it was my hormones "regulating" maybe, if that makes sense. I've lost almost 40 pounds so thats why I was thinking that. I do have some major mood swings too. So that's why I feel it's hormone changes. The last time I weighed this amount was probably six years ago when I first got pregnant with my daughter! So I'm happy. I've fit into a pair of jeans that I haven't been able to wear in about two years!

When it came to acne I noticed for about the first 3 - 4 months post op I had NADA! Not anything at all. As my diet switched to from pure protein to more "normal" food the acne came back but nothing like it was before surgery, luckily.

I have been breaking out bad!! I am a little over 3 months, and I am so worried that people are going to think I am a crack head since I am loosing weight and breaking out! (because I am not telling people about the surgery) LOL

This thread is super old but I want to get this topic brought up again for the newbies including myself at 6 weeks out.... I have fairly clear skin regularly but about 2 weeks or so after surgery I broke out bad right under my nose sooooooo attractive! Because of where it was it scabed up and looked like a infected mess! Once that finally started to heal up the other side started to do the same thing! Then all around my mouth and chin I looked sick literally sick.... so I Google it today and this old thread popped up so for anyone else who has broken out shortly after surgery don't panic you are not alone! 

This also explains the mood and some depression I've been experiencing. Still no regrets BUT this part does suck.... hope it gets better.

I was going to ask this, I've had acne but once I hit 30, I have it and now at 41 its worse, and still pre op, so I was hoping it might clear it up

I am 5 weeks post op- and My acne started immediately!!!! it is horrible starts around my nose and goes down into my chin.. HELP 

I did not have this problem, but these posts may be helpful to you:

We are here to support you.