sherry7

Why we don't drink with meals....

Yes! I could take it for the car ride and drink it during my morning prep! I usually start my day off with water anyhow to take the pills!:)

By trial and error I realized that I can drink right up until I eat. I've even read where it's good to fill yourself with liquid first, then the food stays longer in your pouch, which I believe is true, at least for me. I will go out to breakfast and delay ordering, I ask for coffee and for time to drink it before I order food. I will then drink a cup then order my breakfast and drink another cup while waiting to be served. I will eat an egg and maybe a bite or two of bacon and it stays with me quite a long time. The same goes with iced tea at lunch. Hope this helps.

That's scary and I didn't know the pouch would no longer have the gastric acid.

My mother is accustomed to eating quickly to the point of choking or hiccups, she's aware she'll have to eat slower.

Thank you for posting this I needed to take that extra minute and read something that was more than 2 sentences long today....I was drinking way too close to eating all weekend being with family and not paying attention to timing etc..... ugggggggg but this will help to keep me on track. thanks again

This freaks me out. TMI... but, I need to be informed. Now I wonder about my newbe food choices... Am I really Drinking enough, am I starting and stopping in enough time to absorb nutrients? Jeez, I have trouble making new brave food choices. Finding something that sounds worthwhile and won't disagree with my pouch is hard enough most days...Is it better to live on protein shakes so things won't get clogged... I'm only six weeks out and when its been a few days between bowel movements I now envision swollen stretched intestines swelling up in my tummy. :( Eeeeeek.....

This is so scary :( there are a lot of things we have to do in order to take care of ourself I can only imagine the rest of side effects and risks out there... We all think it's k not to take protein or vitamins n we stop doing that n with time problems might come I know a friend who don't takes protein n sometimes forgets her vitamins...

This is crazy but I don't wanna be paranoid too D:

Great information!

Wow! I never dreamed I would get this much response from just one question :) Thank you to all who have responded. I do appreciate it. I am trying to research as much as possible before surgery in April and this makes me feel better to know just a little more than I did before asking. This goes to say... if you have a question just ask, even if you think it's a stupid question, and it will get answered.

Wow! I never dreamed I would get this much response from just one question :) Thank you to all who have responded. I do appreciate it. I am trying to research as much as possible before surgery in April and this makes me feel better to know just a little more than I did before asking. This goes to say... if you have a question just ask, even if you think it's a stupid question, and it will get answered.

Serena.. this is a different thread that has been around for well over a year.. some really important info for sure!

And yep.. though I don't think there's been a 'new' topic, just ask, no matter how silly we might think it is, and someone will probably have an answer :)

LOL Now I feel really stupid... I had this question and one of the comments lead me to this thread and by the end of it I still thought it was the thread I had started. Oops!

LOL Now I feel really stupid... I had this question and one of the comments lead me to this thread and by the end of it I still thought it was the thread I had started. Oops!

*giggle*.. BTDT so I know what you mean :) I'm glad the link I sent you to answered your questions though! That is the most important thing.

I was doing a little research about this and found this site Living with a Gastrectomy it is for cancer survivors who had to have gastrectomy and it explains a little about this subject and I think has a nice insight on dumping and B-12. I think the reason no drinking before meals is because this wets the intestine and I see how this could lead to less absorption of nutrients that we are already challenged on. I also see how hard the math is to get in the fluids so I think it is a very fine balancing act...but since I have lost some weight I am better at balancing (horrible joke I know)!

Thank you so much for the info. To bad my doctor and all the other medical professionals didnt explain it like that. I would have been nice to know the WHY instead of just the DONT DO. Thanks again.

This is something that I found at this blog, Journey to a Healthier Me: Why we don't drink with meals ...

I thought this was really, really good info and I wanted to share it with you all. It's kind of long, but definitely worth the read.

Why we don't drink with meals.......

Sometimes understanding WHY we have to do something (or not do something) helps us follow the rules. Here's the low-down:

Before surgery you had the pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach to keep food in the stomach while is began the digestive process. As food was digested and ready enough to be released into the intestine, the pyloric valve (a trap door really) would open and let a small amount of food out of the stomach and into the intestines. Digestion would continue, the trap door woud open and a bit more food would be released. And on and on... This process can take 2 to 3 hours in a normal stomach.

AFTER RNY we have to mimic this action manually and the only way to keep food in our pouch (which is basically a funnel now with no trap door) we have to eat dense foods and not mix it with liquid. The denser the food, the longer it can stay in the pouch. Food can stay in your pouch for up to 1.5 to 2 hours if you don't drink water. The minute you add water (or any liquid) to the mix, you are creating a "soup" that will quickly empty out of your pouch.

About 40% of the digestive enzymes our food needs to be broken down is contained in our saliva. Our pouch does not produce gastric acid anymore, so the salive enzymes are all we have to work with here... Which is another reason why need to chew, chew, chew really well. Once food gets to the pouch, those digestive enzymes go to work on the food to begin breaking it down (mostly carbohydrates). Our pouch doesn't churn as much as our old stomach used to, but there is still some movement with that well-chewed food. The longer it stays in the pouch, the more it is broken down and prepared for the intestines to do their work of grabbing nutrients from the food. If we wash the food out too quickly, the intestines can not absorb the nutrients from the food we eat because it passes too quickly undigested. (This can also increase the risk of constipation and intestinal blockage.)

Of course with your pouch being empty you'll get hungry sooner. For new post-ops, this isn't necessarily a big issue because the hunger hasn't returned. But for those further out from surgery, the hunger can be ravenous and you want to keep food in that pouch for as long as possible. That's why it's recommended that the further out you are from surgery, the longer you wait to begin drinking after meals (60-90 minutes).

SO... besides all that, there's the risk of stretching the stoma (the opening between the pouch and intestines). If you have dense food that has not begun to be digested in the pouch and you drink water you are FORCING that dense food to be pushed through the stoma prematurely. That opening is only about the size of a ladies index finger, but if you push food through the opening before its ready to go, you'll eventually stretch that opening. This is FAR more worrisome than stretching your pouch. Once it's stretched it can become the same diameter as the pouch itself... essentially creating one big long tube that food can be packed into at meals. Basically a 20-foot long stomach.

This caution from surgeons is NOT a scare tactic. This is about biology and medical science. You have to manually do the work of the pyloric valve now that you don't have one. And it's about preparing your food so your body has the best chance of absorbing the vital nutrients it needs for survival.

THANK YOU SHERRY, I'M 7 MONTHS OUT AND YES I HAVE BEEN DRINKING WHILE EATING. I KNOW I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO BUT IT'S LIKE THE HARDEST THING NOT TO DRINK. BUT THIS INFORMATION WAS EXTREMELY HELPFUL. I WILL DEFINATELY TRY TO CHANGE THIS . CHERYL

Thanks so much for sharing that. I am one of those that must know every aspect of "WHY" I can't do something. I have been drinking and eating some but that stops NOW.

Thanks so much for sharing that. I am one of those that must know every aspect of "WHY" I can't do something. I have been drinking and eating some but that stops NOW.

I love it when these threads help so many!!

This is something that I found at this blog, Journey to a Healthier Me: Why we don't drink with meals ...

I thought this was really, really good info and I wanted to share it with you all. It's kind of long, but definitely worth the read.

Why we don't drink with meals.......

Sometimes understanding WHY we have to do something (or not do something) helps us follow the rules. Here's the low-down:

Before surgery you had the pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach to keep food in the stomach while is began the digestive process. As food was digested and ready enough to be released into the intestine, the pyloric valve (a trap door really) would open and let a small amount of food out of the stomach and into the intestines. Digestion would continue, the trap door woud open and a bit more food would be released. And on and on... This process can take 2 to 3 hours in a normal stomach.

AFTER RNY we have to mimic this action manually and the only way to keep food in our pouch (which is basically a funnel now with no trap door) we have to eat dense foods and not mix it with liquid. The denser the food, the longer it can stay in the pouch. Food can stay in your pouch for up to 1.5 to 2 hours if you don't drink water. The minute you add water (or any liquid) to the mix, you are creating a "soup" that will quickly empty out of your pouch.

About 40% of the digestive enzymes our food needs to be broken down is contained in our saliva. Our pouch does not produce gastric acid anymore, so the salive enzymes are all we have to work with here... Which is another reason why need to chew, chew, chew really well. Once food gets to the pouch, those digestive enzymes go to work on the food to begin breaking it down (mostly carbohydrates). Our pouch doesn't churn as much as our old stomach used to, but there is still some movement with that well-chewed food. The longer it stays in the pouch, the more it is broken down and prepared for the intestines to do their work of grabbing nutrients from the food. If we wash the food out too quickly, the intestines can not absorb the nutrients from the food we eat because it passes too quickly undigested. (This can also increase the risk of constipation and intestinal blockage.)

Of course with your pouch being empty you'll get hungry sooner. For new post-ops, this isn't necessarily a big issue because the hunger hasn't returned. But for those further out from surgery, the hunger can be ravenous and you want to keep food in that pouch for as long as possible. That's why it's recommended that the further out you are from surgery, the longer you wait to begin drinking after meals (60-90 minutes).

SO... besides all that, there's the risk of stretching the stoma (the opening between the pouch and intestines). If you have dense food that has not begun to be digested in the pouch and you drink water you are FORCING that dense food to be pushed through the stoma prematurely. That opening is only about the size of a ladies index finger, but if you push food through the opening before its ready to go, you'll eventually stretch that opening. This is FAR more worrisome than stretching your pouch. Once it's stretched it can become the same diameter as the pouch itself... essentially creating one big long tube that food can be packed into at meals. Basically a 20-foot long stomach.

This caution from surgeons is NOT a scare tactic. This is about biology and medical science. You have to manually do the work of the pyloric valve now that you don't have one. And it's about preparing your food so your body has the best chance of absorbing the vital nutrients it needs for survival.

Excellent information. I am an "answered" why kind of person...this has been wonderful! Thank you for sharing...I am 1 week post op. :D

This is one of the most helpful bits of information I have seen...I'm one of those people who are like...tell me what to do and I will challenge you...explain to me what to do and how it will benefit me and I will do it pretty willingly. There is SO much to learn despite almost 2 yrs of research.

So helpful!! Thanks for sharing

Thank you for sharing that! That was really interesting and some of that stuff has never been explained to me as it should.

wow! great info, at just over 3 years out I'm glade I read this, as I'm still struggling to wait to initial 30 minutes I was told I needed to wait before drinking after eating. I really need to pay more attention to drinking through out the day soIi don't feel the need to drink so soon after consuming a meal.

Thanks Sherry, Great Find!

wow! great info, at just over 3 years out I'm glade I read this, as I'm still struggling to wait to initial 30 minutes I was told I needed to wait before drinking after eating. I really need to pay more attention to drinking through out the day soIi don't feel the need to drink so soon after consuming a meal.

Thanks Sherry, Great Find!

Candee - although technically used to fend off hunger pangs, water loading is worth trying if you want to increase your fluid intake and you're far enough out to try it.

I do it but I drink right up to my meals/snacks. I don't do it the way they suggest (as much and as fast as possible). I just make a point of drinking a 30+ ounces in the 30 minutes before a meal). Eat and then no drinking for at least 30 minutes after. It helps me to get in at least 100oz fluid a day.

I do that for breakfast and lunch. Forget dinner - getting up a zillion times to go the bathroom 5-6 times isn't my idea of fun.

Wow that's some interesting information. It does put a lot of things in perspective. Thanks for sharing!

However, being only 2 weeks out, my fat mind immediately tried to imagine how much chinese food I could fit in a 20 foot stomach lol

sooo much chinese food...mmm...i miss chinese food... ;) but i don't miss my size 28 jeans! <3

Hi Sherry, wow, so glad that I came across this post. Havent been on here for quite some time. I had my RYN done June 2010, day of surgery was 114kgs, today I am 70kgs and have been for quite a few months. I would like to drop another 5-10kgs, however, have been advised against it, I am a size 12-14 now, and can't tell you how great that feels, as Im sure you would know yourself, even my youngest daughter aged 13 drags me into to all the 'trendy' shops now and pleads with me to buy or try on...lol

Thanks for the information, it is very valuable.

Very intersting information :). My doc recommends we stop drinking 30 minutes before and wait 30 minutes after to drink... I guess after reading this , I will try to fix that :)