milwmarc

Messinger's Diary

My Health History.

This Blog is being written as a way for me to work through my health related issued for the past 37 years. So I can learn from my history and share why I

The day before Surgery March 26th I weighed 309 lbs. I had planned on having some beautiful sit down meal the day before surgery, but like much of my life I had to work all day and then work for my Franchise business I own SportClips at night for a marketing event I couldn

post-10219-12990983887526_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983887856_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983888087_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983888303_thumb.jpg

post-10219-1299098388863_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983888846_thumb.jpg

Tried to eat this morning with little luck. Drank 10 oz's of Milk at 11 with some roundy's chocolate milk mix. At 1 ate 2 oz's. Lots O water. Went to the gym and power walked FAST for 50 minutes. God I was tired after that..over did it! Went home, took first pain medication in 2 days, 7.5 grams of Liquid Oxycodone. Laid down.

Woke up at 5:30 Set up my thinner times blogs.

Ate 2 oz's of Turkey and Egg Puree at 8 P.M. Boring day. Was perfect!

Still NO GAS out of the tummy!!!! Even after all the walking done the past 2 days. When will the gas come out?

Got on scale said 302.9. Not drinking enough said hydration was 45%. Think supposed to be at 55%? I feel soooooo bloated! I feel bigger then I did a week ago. God the GAS!!!!

I attached a picture I couldn't put on my first post of what I looked like when I was 16 and had Lymes Disease and Spinal Meningitis. The road that started me down the obesity I have struggled with for 26 years. I was 350lbs not the 260 I stated on my drivers license. All from massive doses of Predinisone to help keep me alive at the time

post-10219-12990983889062_thumb.jpg

Well its the 4th day after surgery. I tried to work today. Boy, it's 9 at night and my but is dragging. Owning a Franchise doesn't give me much time off. I realized I worked 4 hours Sunday on Sport Clips sitting at a desk, pretty tired, but did it. Today I put in 2.5 hours this morning and 2.5 hours this afternoon. In between I walked 30 minutes outside in the morning and afternoon. Sitting down I realize how absolutely tired I am.

Getting in food has been a challenge today. Couldn't eat this morning. Tired but couldn't keep it down. At lunch I tried to puree chicken in a can. As soon as I got it pureed and opend up the food processor and smelled it I wanted to puke. I had to throw it right out.

I find my stomach tonight is still very gassy. When I walked I got some of it out..but it seems like it keeps building. I wonder if it has anythign to do with the one glass of milk a day I'm drinking?????? But how else can I get my 60 grams of protien in?

I find that I still WANT food. But the stomach just can't handle it. Saturday night driving home from the hospital I passed a McDonalds and thought to myself Boy I could go for a Shamrock shake. Then, "oh yea, I'd puke if I had that!" sigh, drive on.

I walk in the house from the hospital, open the fridge to get some water and there in front of me is a home made pizza and a container from Chili's the night before. "God! that looks great!" oh yea. can't have it.

Sunday. I worked in my office in the morning, came out of my office to the smell of brownies and that pizza cooking for lunch. OHHHHHHHHHH. Drewl. Well my brain still works. Walk in the kitchen looking at it, I WANTED it, I had the kitchen scene from American Pie in my head and what I could do to that pizza and brownies. I thought "Kids, look the other way, pay no attention to what dad is doing to the brownies!" But oh yea. I'll puke. "Can I have my 1 oz of pureed turkey please?"

I'm assuming I'm learning new habits, new lifestyle and old habits don't die easily.

My stomach still feels filled with 1000 lbs of gas. Could it be the one glas a day of 10 oz's of Milk I'm having? Lets hope it dissapears soon! Well it's 9:10 and I need to eat my last 2 oz's of Pureed turkey and tilapia. cheers!

So, I'm supposed to get in 60 grams o proteind a day after surgery, finding it mighty difficult. I tried to ad powdred milk to skim milk, mixed it and let it sit over night. Took a cup this afternoon and added some roundy's flavoring from it as it smelled like spoiled milk.

I took a sip..not bad. took another sip, still not bad, 3rd sip put me over the edge. Right now Just can't handle it without feeling nauseaus and think its adding to the gas in my stomach.

I used to do Atkins shakes, is that a good alternative to get my protein in form of liquid formula while in the Puree diet for the first 2 weeks of Roux-Y. Need some help.

I'm afraid that yogurt may do the same think. Took a container of Light n Fit and blended in 1.5 cups of powdered milk. Haven't tried it yet..wondering if that also might ad to upset stomach...I think I"m going to call the new 2 oz baby called my stomach "Niblet" In honor of Aviator and nick name for his stomach. It certainly feels like an alien in my body right now. I'm growing fond of the name "niblet". like "no thanks, for some of that pizza children! Niblet would prefer some pureed turkey!"

Thanks

Well Surgery was last Thursday, Home hospital Saturday night. Worked Monday, Tuesday from home. Wednesday, drove to 2 appointments this morning, was done by 1 and heading home. I could have feel asleep in the car. Got back home, checked up on business emails and then phone started ringing. Boy by that time I was one cranky guy. sent a couple emails I probably shouldn't have to some higher ups at the bank basically stating.

I can't do any more for you! I just had surgery! Took walk, tried to take a nap, 40 minutes later realized..boy maybe I shouldn't send emails when I'm tired, cranky and just got done with a surgery.

Talked to nurse today, I told her about my intolerance to dairy, she said to try it again in a few days. I told her could I try Atkins shakes..? "NOPE!"

How about can I have a 35 calorie Fudgescicle, it has 2 grams of protein? "NOPE!, Marc, we don't want you snacking...your setting yourself up for failure" So back to 3 meals a day of 2 ice cube sizes of pureed protein. Boy that will get old fast.

Going to try to take another walk, puree up some scallops tonight in a wee bit o olive oil and see how that does.

But I think the past few days I've done way more then I should have. My whole body hurts. all I want to do is go in my hot tub, but doc said no hot tub for 6 weeks! God even my most basic of pleasures, the hot tub have been taken away. I'm glad I had the surgery, but I just want to be able to at least soak in a hot tub outside.....sigh. Boring old shower to relax me will have to do again tonight I guess.

I'm on my 6th day on this puree'd diet. I hope my brain, just gives in and goe's with the flow soon. Brain seems to want to fight me. God how I want a piece of Pizza!

Friday night (one week out from surgery) I have my first true test. I have to go to a good friends suprise 50th bday party at a bar. I don't drink really, so that is no issue, but fried food I"m sure will be surrounding me. I plan on bringing a pitcher of cyrstal light in the car and just go back out for refils and come back in. The food though. Man, Might have to ask my wife to offer some incentive after the party, so I can think of other things to look forward to soon after I leave so I can get through it.

Milk made me gassy up until about a month ago...Im goin on 5 months out. There are a slew of protein drinks and mixes out there. shop around on this forum for ideas. :) Sco

1 week and a day out. I'm down 14 lbs. Haven't seen the scale below 300 for almost year and a half! Down to 294. Feel HORRIBLE though, more to do with the fact all 3 of my kids gave me their colds. Tired, sore everywhere, coughing up a storm. Going to lay down in middle of a Saturday afternoon. Sigh, what a waste of a perfectly good day off.

I did WAY too much the first week after surgery. Worked every day. Going to try to take it easier next week. maybe only work 4 hours per day.

I had to go to my oldest's hockey game this morning. Ate my 2 oz's of Pureed chicken on the way their and even though I'm sick everyy fast food joint we passed looked good (and I never ate fast food before my surgery) After the game driving home I sooo craved a pizza. gonna be a battle to get rid of that food bug in my brain.

But down 14 lbs in 8 days! Woo Hoo. Ok time for a nappy nap to get over the cold.

Tonight will be a test. Kathryn and I have to go to our friends 50th bday party at a bar that has great food. Alchohol never been a big deal for me, so that will be no problem..just brining my crystal light. The problem will be being surrounded by some good food I can't eat. Wish me luck!

I haven't filled my new 2 ounce stomach I don't think yet. I eat my 2 oz's 3 times a day, but never had it back up on me into my throat like doc said could occur. I also have not gotten that full feeling yet. But still have pain in the stomach..Gas? So I'm waiting to feel that full feeling. would make it easier after I'm done eating 2 oz's o food to feel satiated.

Off for a nap.

So, my 3 kids gave me a cold, they have one, I have one, wife has one. All sick. Feel like crap, surgery was 9 day ago, I should be feeling bettter now, but now ad the cold on top of it and I'm just miserable. Here in Wisconsin its 18 degrees overcast and snowing ice pellets. Just need the light to show itself, get rid of the cold and feel normal again.

Ok, enough bitching. Other problem. FOOD! How long does it take for my brain to get rewired! This morning, woke up hungry, I had 2 oz's pureed Chicken. Still felt hungry afterwards...was it all in my brain.

Went to the gym with the kids today. On the way their had a atkins shake against my doctors orders. Easier to drink then skim milk, higher in protein and only 150 calories and it filled my hunger. So why doesn't the doc want me to have it? Walked at the gym, then wife and I took the kids to subway. I had a Light n Fit yogurt, first time I ate without measuring. A yogurt is 6 oz's I felt naturually full after eating about 2 oz's, BUT the kids and wife DELIECOUS looking subs. AHHHh my brain.

For dinner, they made home made paninni's. God once again I wanted to have sex with it! Sitting around with the wife and kids, Ham, and Turkey and bubbling cheese and a wee bit o sauce covered in a flat bread sprinkled with home made parmesan. I had to sit there and eat my 2oz's of pureed chicken wand watch them eat this delicous succulent sandwich. So will that part of my brain shut off? Or someday soon will I be allowed to eat just a wee bit of that?

The overall recording I can't get off in my head. Pizza, Pizza, Pizza, Pizza, Pizza, Pizza, Pizza.

You're one funny guy! And yes, Pizza was on my mind 24/7 at first. It does subside, but I still get cravings for it rather strongly.

I have to say I cannot believe how much you were working/doing stuff right after surgery. Your doc "let" you?

Anyway, very interesting about your Lymes Disease diagnosis. That sounds so terrible to go through when you're just trying to be a teenager.

Thanks Jenn for the reply, nope the doctor didn't "let" me I just did it. I'm going to try to work less this week. Tuesday very busy day though. Monday just gonna try to sleep and do only a wee bit o work.

So You had surgery done in January? I want the brain rewired. I think just being able to get on some solid food in a few weeks will really help

Well, It's been 2 weeks and 2 days.

The results so far, started at 306, now at 286, 20 lb's in 15 days!

My 2nd week after surgery was intersting. I got a cold about 7 days after surgery and couldn't keep ANYTHING down even water. My head was draining and I think it was draining in to my tiny teeny niblet stomach. but by day 13 after surgery I started to feel a bit better.

Up to walking twice a day 50 minutes at a brisk pace. Tomorrow when I see my doc for 2 weeks check up, I'm going to see if I can ad biking and minor upper body weight lifting into the equation.

Food for the past 2 weeks has been tough. My doc wan't me eating ONLY pureed protein, no popsicles. So been tough.

I did find on the food board that some people had luck with Wendy's chili. I tried it Friday and went back for more Saturday and Today on Easter on the way to the relatives I got another cup and ate some before we got there to curb my hunger and brain when looking at delicious food. Easter with our family is 40 people and they ALL bring something. Holy cow EVERYTHING that I love about our family was all in front of me! I did eat one small bacon wrapped chestnut, chewed it really well..went down ok...had one more an hour later. For dinner someone made Shredded pork so I had 2 oz's of that and one small piece of 8 layer jello. Now I thought..ok Jello has lot o sugar..but had no problems with dumping. 2 things:

#1. I felt really guilty that I had 2 small bacon wrapped chestnuts..but they were delicous..but afraid of it impacting my weight loss.

#2. They only had big paper plates and eating in front of 40 people I got only 3 comments, "hey, thats all your eating" As I stated in my first log, I have chosen not to share with family my surgery for many reasons that were shared in my first post. I answered to all who asked. "Yea, I'm just really trying to watch what I eat and have learned the trick for me is to eat small spoonfuls slowly" Not another thing said. No one seemed to notice or say anything after that...

Then the Deserts came out! Oh My god. Every desert I love. But I didn't take even one little bite, proud of myself but that was hard!

What Have I learned at 2 weeks out?

#1. I tried on clothes for Easter that haven't fit me for 2 years. They did again and I looked halfway decent. I'll post a picture of me and my son we took at the end of the day today.

#2. Walking seems to be giving my body a close to good of workout as when I used to run to train for Mini triathlons, and I don't come back with my knees killing me!

#3. My brain has not shut off for wanting food! I'm still hungry all be it, I'm not dying for food, like I used to, when I get stressed or when family for friends are eating all the things I love. I got through today..the question. will I be able to get through a holiday 2 years from now without making bad choices.

#4. Getting sick when you've had WLS is a whole new ball game, Liquids are KEY

#5. PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA. When does that craving go away?

#6. I'm tired of Purreed food, I hope the doc puts me on something a bit different tomorrow.

#7. My wife says she notices I difference. I don't

#8. 2 parts, I ate 2 oz's of rotiserrie chicken not pureed, but that I chewed real well. However at about 1.5 oz's I should have stopped... one last bit o chicken chewed and swallowed later I feel like something is stuck in my throat, go to bathroom, mini puke, feel bad but get over it 30 minutes later...no why is it though that I can have 4 Oz's of Wendy's chilli and it goes right down? Less bulky as beans break down when chew em? The liquid..It tastes wonderful, but I'm so afraid that eating 4 oz's of that is cheating and will impact my weight loss.

So that's my 2 week update. I very afraid of finding way's to "Cheat" on this diet. God give me the strength to stay on task! I've added 2 photo's below.

Best of luck to all you on your journey. I appreciate peoples thoughts on the Wendy's chili thing.

post-10219-12990983929702_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983952969_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983953685_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983954303_thumb.jpg

Hey there,

I'm struggling getting in my protein as well. I have made a concoction (sp?) to help get some in. It consists of 8oz skim milk (9 g), an atkins protein shake (15 g), and a scoop of this soy protein stuff from GNC (25 g). There is 49g of protein for ya. You just kinda nurse the drink all day long. I'm not saying it tastes great, and it is bound to give you skanky breath, but hey, it gets in the protein. Just remember to shake it often :) Hope that helps. I had my surgery on the 31st of march

Hey there,

I'm struggling getting in my protein as well. I have made a concoction (sp?) to help get some in. It consists of 8oz skim milk (9 g), an atkins protein shake (15 g), and a scoop of this soy protein stuff from GNC (25 g). There is 49g of protein for ya. You just kinda nurse the drink all day long. I'm not saying it tastes great, and it is bound to give you skanky breath, but hey, it gets in the protein. Just remember to shake it often :) Hope that helps. I had my surgery on the 31st of march

lol....milk sitting around all day would be kinda skanky.....Yuck! I guess what ever works for ya!

lol you're right... not sure what else to do, except put ice cubes in it :eek: but it helps me get it in

Well, I knew I wanted to lose weight, Surgery 16 Days ago helping with that. I know my body will change as well as my mind.

I had a few items on my bucket list (items I want to do before I kick the bucket) I've accomplished almost all I've wanted to do in life by a young age of 37. Not many things I want or need for...however my weight definately puts a damper in my ability to do Mini Triathlons..that will come again in time.

I have 3 biggies on my Bucket list still.

1. Learn how to play the guitar

2. Learn how to ride and buy a Harley

3. Learn how to fly an airplane.

Well I don't know if its the new outlook on life with the weight loss. But I thought, No time like the present. So, I took the plunge and went and bought my first guitar today and even had a lesson.

Hopefully by this summer I'm

at 250 or below (lowest weight since Freshmen in High School), Doing Sprint Triathlons again...and now with the new guitar, goal is to learn how to play well enough to play and sing John Prine's Angel from Montgomery.

Wish me luck! The surgery taught me, don't weight (pun intended) for life to be perfectly timed..make your own time!

post-10219-12990983956449_thumb.jpg

Well Since Saturday I've been at 285 and holding. Is it possible on my 15th day from surgery that I've already hit a weight Wall?

Saturday through my weigh in today on Wednesday I'm at the same 285 lbs. That's 5 days at the same weight and I'm only eating 6 oz's o protein a day, plust my 70 plus oz's water.

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE to not lose weight?

Did anyone else have this happen? Walking, Eating only small amounts of lean protein, water. Nothing else I could do.

Anyones take on this?

Hey there,

He has the same surgeon I have and we are told we have to get our protein in by food, no protein drinks.

Well I'm at 3.5 weeks out from surgery and I finally feel 100% normal, no gas, not pains, no stress, now I just have to focus on eating, drinking excercising.

I'll post a much bigger item on my 4 weeks on Friday, however I just thought I'd let those if you that are contemplating surgery or just had it, the first few weeks suck..but all is soon forgotten....Kind of like having kids or moving...it's terrible the first 2 weeks, but then you forget and move on and enjoy life.

Noticed my 46 pants are falling off my waist and then I have no @*# in them.

Noticed My upper body has a bit of v shape again,

Noticed knees don't hurt, noticed more energy and

Ahem, noticed I can see something a wee bit more below..and don't want to gross anyone out, but my little johny pee's better. Less weight on the bladder? who knows. So many advantages and I've only lost 24 lbs so far.

I'll post my thoughts on food, brain challenges etc later in the week.

Lifted minor weidghts for first time tonight...chest, no issue, arms no issue, trying to do leg lifts or squats.....issue..could feel one of the cuts when used those muscles..will give it another 2 weeks before trying those again.

Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for writing what you've gone through for the first few weeks. The details - good and bad - really gave me insight to the process. I'm about your previous size and look forward to future results. I have surgery on Tuesday April 28th. I'm very interested in your future posts as well.

Congratulations on your weight loss and life improvement, man!

Big Zack

Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for writing what you've gone through for the first few weeks. The details - good and bad - really gave me insight to the process. I'm about your previous size and look forward to future results. I have surgery on Tuesday April 28th. I'm very interested in your future posts as well.

Congratulations on your weight loss and life improvement, man!

Big Zack

Congrats on the surgery! It's your New Birthdate! We can grow smaller and compare stories togethor!

Well it

post-10219-12990983996224_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983996922_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983997444_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983997982_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983998501_thumb.jpg

post-10219-12990983999039_thumb.jpg

Taking the tough road, will post pictures every month of my progress, I must have scared everyone away from my last post with pictures!

My goal, to not be embarrased with a shirt off around my pool, in the hot tub, or at the beach. Being almost May 1st, I think I'll fall short of that goal by August, but only time will tell!

WTG Mil! Im almost 6 months out. It gets easier as you go. hang in there man. Your doin great. Keep on posting! ...Sco