cali4ialuv

Buyers Remorse 5 1/2 weeks post tummy tuck

I know it's normal to feel anxious and expect final results immediately following plastic surgery. However, I'm loosing my mind. I'm 5 1/2 weeks out from my tummy tuck, and I'm experiencing "swell hell". I'm also exhausted all the time, and feel like crap. Sorry to whine, but I just need some encouragement from those who've gone through this. The results are dramatic, even with the swelling. But I'm frustrated because I can't wear any of my old clothes. (My jeans will not go past my waist) Which I don't understand because I've lost ten pounds since my tummy tuck. I chose not to tell any one at work, but it's been pretty obvious. Based merely on the fact that at almost six week out, I'm still hunched over, walking like Ozzy Osborne! Six weeks, and still hunched over! I've waited so long for this opportunity. Almost six years. I was denied by insurance three times, and finally saved enough money for my tummy tuck. I had six months of documented medically related problems, including prescriptions, etc. After appealing the last time, I was told that my hanging pannus did not interfere with activities of daily living. (Even after my primary care physician wrote a letter stating how it interfered.) Any who, I was tired of fighting and rewarded myself by self-paying. Again, I'm very grateful to have been given this opportunity, but the fact that my sides look like Michelin Men, and I can't stand straight is hard to deal with. I keep hearing that I will have no regrets and it will be so worth it. I'm just not there yet. Rain, if you read this, your belly pics are inspiring and I can only hope for results like yours. Ok, I've gotten it out of my system. I'm done. Thanks for reading and sorry so long!

Boy, do I remember those feelings! The good news about being hunched over is that your tummy is going to look magnificent when you are totally healed! This is what I did to be able to stand straight up. I started at night by sleeping with a wedge pillow behind my back and pillows under my knees. I took pain meds before bed and every two nights I would decrease the amount that my body was bent by either taking a pillow away or switching to flatter ones. I had horrible back aches from walking bent over and was pretty miserable so I know how you feel. I promise it will get better!

Yep I remember those feelings too!! :eek: I didn't quite have as much problem standing straight but I was SO EXHAUSTED for weeks and weeks!! I swore I had been run over by a MAC truck!! :rolleyes: The swelling is totally normal too. You will actually see some swelling for a good 6 months postop. Yep, takes that long for it all to go away. I lived in jogging pants for at least the first 2 months just because things like jeans were tight and uncomfortable. I had 10 pounds of skin removed but there was no way I could get into my pre-op jeans for quite awhile. The good news is once the swelling went down my size 10 preop jeans were way too big and I was sportin' size 4-6 jeans. :)

So hang in there. Tummy tucks certainly aren't a walk in the park but it does get better and I think you will be thrilled! :) I know I was.

Thanks ladies. I really appreciate your responses. I will keep plugging along. I'm going to hold you both to your words:~)

Feel free to do that, Tina. :D

Tina,

You and I must have had our T/T's at very similar times, mine was Feb. 27, so I am at just 4 1/2 weeks out. I can stand straight and did almost from about one week out but I am swollen too... weird to see all that flabby skin gone and yet feel 'fat'... ugh!!! I know your frustration. I also had quite a bit of fluid retention after the drains were removed and at my last appointment the PS drained (via needle) about a litre of fluid from my stomach! This was not fun.

Beth, our wonderful expert, just wondering if it's normal to have had 8lbs of skin removed yet not see it on the scale because of the swelling / fluid retention? I think I have to go back and have my PS remove some more fluid... it looks like the same as when he first drained it. One more question, and sorry to hijack your thread, Tina, but did you see a large difference over the months... tightening more of the skin, etc? Just curious.

Hugs all,

Kimberly

Hi Kimberli,

Congrats on your tt. I'm almost a month ahead of you. (January 30th tummy tuck) I am just now standing straight up all day. My swelling has gone down significantly. I can now fit my pre-op jeans. However, my belly is still puffy by the end of the day. (Mainly above the belly bottom, and sides) I've recently read that most swelling doesn't go away until about three to six months. (So, I'm holding my breath for another month hoping to see a big diffrence.) I had seven pounds of skin removed from my belly and the scale immediately went down between 8 - 10 pounds the first few days from surgery. It was very odd for me not to be able to wear my pre-op jeans after plastics, when I'd lost ten pounds. They fit snugged now, but I've been told that I will go down a size or two after swelling. My doctor didn't even mention removing fluid with the needle. I would have entertained the option at the time. I am pleased with the results thus far, as my tummy is practically flat. (Most of the day:~) I am really thrilled that I can look down at my lap and not see that dreadful bulge of skin. I'm pleased to say the least and realize that this process takes time. Good luck and let us know how you are coming along.

Tina,

You and I must have had our T/T's at very similar times, mine was Feb. 27, so I am at just 4 1/2 weeks out. I can stand straight and did almost from about one week out but I am swollen too... weird to see all that flabby skin gone and yet feel 'fat'... ugh!!! I know your frustration. I also had quite a bit of fluid retention after the drains were removed and at my last appointment the PS drained (via needle) about a litre of fluid from my stomach! This was not fun.

Beth, our wonderful expert, just wondering if it's normal to have had 8lbs of skin removed yet not see it on the scale because of the swelling / fluid retention? I think I have to go back and have my PS remove some more fluid... it looks like the same as when he first drained it. One more question, and sorry to hijack your thread, Tina, but did you see a large difference over the months... tightening more of the skin, etc? Just curious.

Hugs all,

Kimberly

Hi Kimberly! Tina, I hope you don't mind a bit of a hijack of your thread.

Yep, Kimberly it is totally normal. I had 10 pounds removed and came home from the hospital 5 pounds heavier. Much of it was fluid and over time I did see the scale come down but it actually never came down the full 10 pounds. It actually was rather frustrating. I didn't see that 10 pounds off until I was 8 months postop and had lost my gallbladder too. But even though I only saw like a 5 pound weight loss I went from size 10 pants to a 4-6 so I really can't complain.

Yes, I did see a big difference with the tightening. I did have an area though that just didn't tighten up like I hoped it would. My lower abdomen looked pretty bad. That's why I had the revision at 7 months postop. My PS ended up taking and additional 3 x 6 inch band of skin from that area. Now? I'm totally pleased with the results.

Well I'm only 5 days post op from my TT and am swollen and still in quite a bit of pain. I hope you are doing better today and that each day you get stronger and stronger and get closer to the results that you are looking for! Stay strong and positive!

I'm at 4/12 weeks after my tummy tuck. I haven't tried getting into any jeans because I'm still in the compression garments, so I wear skirts. I had lipo on my inner/outer thighs and flanks as well, I also had a butt lift. So I had a lot done at the same time. My stomach is pretty flat so I look decent in the skirts (gypsy skirts). I'm still not straight, but getting closer. I stretch against a wall and also while in bed. I lye on my back and straighten both legs with a normal pillow and then with a pretty flat pillow.

My back has taken a toll not being straight so I went to a massage therapist. She has done massages on post op Tummy Tuck patients before so she worked on my back while I laid on my side. She also massaged my stomach (gently) which felt great afterward, but the next day it was back to feeling really really tight. When does that go away? Not painful but very annoying.

I'm still swollen from everything and I had to have fluid drained from my back twice, but it wasn't bad and I felt immediate relief. Now I think I'm holding fluid in my stomach on the right side so I will go in and have it looked at after the holidays. I'm still swollen in all the areas I had work done, but the compression and the skirts hide it for the most part. I'm not even going to try the jeans until after I can stop wearing the compression garments.

I'm very tired too. The doc said to take iron pills, but you have to be careful because they will lock your bowels. I also supplement with B12 in the morning. It helps, but I still find myself wanting to crawl into bed as soon as I get home from work around 5. I can't exercise much because my stomach gets too tight. So the best I can do is light walking right now.

Hang in there, you are not alone, but from the other replies I've read, we're going to be ok and look great : )

It's minimum 6 months...to 1 full year to achieve the final results...

Hpim0429.jpg

recentafter.jpg

15 hours ago, lealphachienne said:

It's minimum 6 months...to 1 full year to achieve the final results...

Hpim0429.jpg

recentafter.jpg

Top picture looks really painful but that bottom picture is super!! You are rocking that bikini with your hot body!

Hi, Cali4ialuv, I'm so glad I read your post so I don't think I'm going crazy now.  I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and still cannot stand straight.  Some say that I am standing straight, but I know my body and I can tell that I am still hunched over, and the back pain also confirms it.   My Dr. indicated that everyone's body is different.  I asked if I was supposed to be trying to make it happen, but she said not to force it.  It will come in time. I'm just wondering how long, but sounds like this being the case after 4 1/2 weeks is not as uncommon as I thought. That's a relief because it just starts to make you wonder if this is permanent, which is a very scary thought.  Like you, I will be patient and hold the others to their word that it will get better! 

Welcome to Thinner Times BmENEN425_!

This is an old thread but hopefully some of our active members will chime in with their experiences.

Hi all

im at 6 weeks stage  - had some delays due to reaction to dressing which was scary and due to compression garments reacting with my skin I couldn’t wear it - never had this in any previous operations so it’s been really frustrating and painful- and infection on belly button but had another op and vacuum Dressing on which sorted it - im still in pain and have these burning sharp pains in my right abdomen which stop me in my tracks and make me feel sick,  this operation took a lot out of me and it’s a struggle but I’m so looking forward to buying clothes that don’t have to cover anything!!  Had lots of skin removed from a previous op hernia and spinal op - couldn’t get it done so had to pay myself 

923692A9-B0C1-425E-B5C0-B12B97B47100.jpeg

86ADD30F-FA98-4480-9216-D0715330E98D.jpeg

Your pictures remind me of me. I am getting the panniculectomy and two hernias repaired on July 23rd. I am just curious about how it all will look and work out.