LittleDaveInMo

I too am in the TOGA trial.

Pre-op test.

Manometry- they do this one first. They put some ky jelly that has xylocaine in your nose and tell you to sniff in. It feels like brain freeze from ice cream for a second. They also spray xylocaine spray down your throat. They insert the tube into your nose and have you swallow as they push it down. Trust me the numbing is so nice. You then have to do a series of swallows when they tell you to. The first part is salt water. You have to breath through your nose and swallow like every 5th breath. The salt water actually felt soothing and I did ok with this one. The next series is swallowing a grape jelly like substance. You have to think a little bit more about forming a swallow and not breathing or swallowing when you are supposed to. I was done with mine in a half hour so if you can manage not to swallow when your not supposed to then it will be over soon. I just imagined myself in a chair on the beach listening to the surf(of course I was skinny in a bikini) :)

They start your iv while you are waiting for the manometry. I just had to take my shoes off. Kept all my clothes on and they just put a gown on over my clothes..........thought that was odd........but was so nice when it was time to go home. Dr. Medema came in and said hello- first time I met the man and then I went to sleep. When I woke up I put my shoes on and left. Very nice day! You are good hands........don't worry .......be:D

You are very lucky you got numb! Here is Cleveland they just numb the nose and then you have to feel it go into your stomach. It was less than pleasant and took about 45 minutes for me....

Hi, I'm also in the TOGA trial. I had the manometry and the GI endoscopy two days ago and all looks good to go for the surgery in early April. I'm excited and very nervous about it as it's uncharted territory. Is there anyone out there who thinks they're in the sham 1/3 of the group where they didn't receive it? Fingers crossed I'll be part of the 2/3 where I do receive it. It's hard to believe that the 1/3 who don't receive it wouldn't know that they're in the sham group...

Hi Jean,

I am certain I'm in the control/sham group. I think that it's pretty easy to tell, but everyone has to keep up the charade. I'm 4 weeks out and I've stayed the same weight. I'm still keeping my calories at 1600 and under, focusing on protein and exercising. Granted I've most likely traded some fat pounds for muscle lbs as my clothes are looser, but no dramatic weight loss for me, nor do I have trouble eating more than 4 bites as I read many people do.

I am happy for the success of those that have gotten the procedure, however it

Hi taschenbrenner,

So sorry to hear that you're in the sham group...are you planning to stick with it through the whole 12mths to get the procedure done at the end of it? My surgery is next week and kinda nervous about it. I'm not sure what I'll do if I think I'm in the control group...whether to stick it out for 12mths & get it done or just drop out as it's a lot of doctor's appointment & everyone's got a life and job but I guess that's the cost of it being free. What was it like after surgery? Did you have a sore throat? Could you walk around soon after?

Well I had my first post/op check up today. Nothing fancy. Just more paperwork and I was also there with a friend that is beginning her journey in to the "World Of Toga" as I call it. So all in all nothing to crazy. I am down 14 pounds since the surgery on the 16th of March. I started at 230 so I have lost close to 30 pounds weighing in at 206 today. So I'm very happy other than I need a belt for my jeans now. hahaha

Hi taschenbrenner,

So sorry to hear that you're in the sham group...are you planning to stick with it through the whole 12mths to get the procedure done at the end of it? My surgery is next week and kinda nervous about it. I'm not sure what I'll do if I think I'm in the control group...whether to stick it out for 12mths & get it done or just drop out as it's a lot of doctor's appointment & everyone's got a life and job but I guess that's the cost of it being free. What was it like after surgery? Did you have a sore throat? Could you walk around soon after?

I do plan to stick with. I've put myself through enough torture already so I do want the payoff in the end. :) Even if I do manage to find a job, I will just make time for the appointments. Plus all these folks that have already had it are good guinea pigs for me to observe, and this will help me know what to expect.

Along with my throat hurting for about a day after surgery, my neck muscles were sore as well as my upper abdominals, it felt like I had just started working out again for a couple of days after. All of this was easily remedied with my drug of choice, ibuprofen.

The pain didn't bother me so much. but not being able to drink until the following day was horrible for me. They brought me a little cup of crushed ice with a sponge on a stick to wet my mouth. The IV will be hydrating you, but it does nothing for your dry mouth & throat.

Because they put the breathing tube down your nose, I did notice I had to blow my nose a lot over the next day or so to get all the crap out.

After the grogginess wore off, I was walking all over that same day. I did have some of the gas pain, but I'm sure the walking helped. I'm a walker anyhow, and I have a hard time sitting still for too long, so I didn't expect it to be a problem.

Hey everyone I have started a new and exciting thread called "April Challenge". This is where you can post your monthly weight loss goals. Please join the thread and place your goal amount!!!!

I had the surgery on March 16,2008 at University of Mo. Me and Dave was done on the same day. I think I received it I've already lost 21lbs in 3 weeks now. I can eat about 1/2cup or a little bit more but I have to eat very slow or it feels like I have pressure from under my chest to my neck and feel like I'm going to get sick.. This website is very good and all of you keep up the good work. Even if you don't get the surgery you will be ready and know what you can't and can do..

Congratulations.

I am still waiting for University of Missouri to contact me to get approved. Thanks for sharing...hope to join you some day soon.

When did you apply? Seems maybe I waited too long.

Hi I'm new here and am also going for the TOGA trial. I have my first Appoitment with the Surgeon on Feb 21st!

Can you tell me how quickly the process takes to get approved?

Thanks so much!

It took me about two months to till I had it.. It goes really quick... good luck

I was so glad to find you guys talking about Toga. I have been really nervous and couldn't talk to anyone about it because no one has really heard of it. My procdure is scheduled for Monday 2/23. Although I am very excited about the journey I will be on I am extremly nervous. My brother died from blood clots after having the gastric bypass 8 years ago. My family is skeptical because of it.

Just read your posting how are you doing. Hope you doing well. talk to you later.:)

Have you done any of the screenings yet. I heard that they stop taking anyone. I work at adult psychiatry and everyone goes there for the psych part of the eval..

No I haven't been contacted for any screenings, however I did receive an e-mail stating that I would be contacted, but it may be several weeks and they were doing it in order of the applications.

I hope they aren't finished. I so wanted to do this.

No I haven't been contacted for any screenings, however I did receive an e-mail stating that I would be contacted, but it may be several weeks and they were doing it in order of the applications.

I hope they aren't finished. I so wanted to do this.

I'LL KEEP MY FINGERS AND TOES CROSSED FOR YOU.. GOOD LUCK..:cool:

I'LL KEEP MY FINGERS AND TOES CROSSED FOR YOU.. GOOD LUCK..:cool:

Thanks I appreciate it.

If you do hear that they aren't taking any more....please let me know.:confused:

In Cleveland, on my pre op appoitment day they said that only had two spots left, but that they could go through several hundred people to fill them!!

Lori

TogaSupportGroup : Toga Clinical Trial Support Group

In Cleveland, on my pre op appoitment day they said that only had two spots left, but that they could go through several hundred people to fill them!!

Lori

TogaSupportGroup : Toga Clinical Trial Support Group

At the time I applied they were taking 22, but I don't know what number applicant I was. Maybe I was too late....but Ihope not.

That's really good. I've been told that all our spots are fill now unless the last few drops out or can't do it.

Someone else on the board thought that the University of Missouri might not be taking any more....I don't know what to think.:confused: