marine

How many calories to you take per day?

I am around 1200-1400 cal per day (good cal most of them except for the 2-3 slides of black /whole wheat bread).

What is the rigth amount at this point? After about 1.5 years post op or later?

What should be the long term cal goal?

thanks and have all a nice week-end

my surgeon discourages us from counting calories but i'm a year out and my average is about 1100 cals a day. personally i would ditch the bread though

I do count calories (I count everything! :D) and I average 1,800 calories/day and can maintain my weight on that (16 months out).

I exercise every day - even if it's my usual 3 mile walk. If I'm being lazy then I'll drop a couple of hundred calories. If get a bee in my bonnet and work out extra hard then I'll add a couple of hundred.

I eat between 700-800 a day. Occasionally it will go as hig as 1000 but not usually. My surgeon never spoke of counting calories but I do. And now that my weight is down, I thought I would try to relax and not count so much to see what would happen but can't seem to stop. I'm obsessed with the calories. And when my husband sees me looking at the labels, he says "stop that! Put that down. Don't worry about it" He says I'm fine now and don't need to worry about it. My mom and many others say so too, but I just can't seem to stop counting those calories!

I am around 1200-1400 cal per day (good cal most of them except for the 2-3 slides of black /whole wheat bread).

Hey! If you have a "Great Harvest Bread Company" around you, look for their Mountain Crunch Bread - its a bit pricy, but you can buy a half loaf, thin sliced for about $3. Its SOOOO good - full of lots of nuts and grains, and funny enough, it has tofu in it, which makes it low in gluten, high in protein, and lower carbs than most bread. Its especially good as toast, which is easier for your pouch to deal with, instead of squeezing a gooey doughey ball down.

(all natural HealthNUT bread is a not as awesome, but still good second choice. - if you can't give up your bread altogether, try going for better protein-ed bread)

Hey! If you have a "Great Harvest Bread Company" around you, look for their Mountain Crunch Bread - its a bit pricy, but you can buy a half loaf, thin sliced for about $3. Its SOOOO good - full of lots of nuts and grains, and funny enough, it has tofu in it, which makes it low in gluten, high in protein, and lower carbs than most bread. Its especially good as toast, which is easier for your pouch to deal with, instead of squeezing a gooey doughey ball down.

(all natural HealthNUT bread is a not as awesome, but still good second choice. - if you can't give up your bread altogether, try going for better protein-ed bread)

Hmmm. tofu in the bread.. interesting. off to look for a recipe, lol..

My nut told me to maintain my 140 lbs. for my age and how active I am, I need to be at 1250 calories. The reason I am still losing is because I am at 900 calories. But to add more protein to reach my 1250 calories goal and not to eat bread, rice, pasta, sugar, crackers, flour, ect....

I'm 18 months out. Lost 170 lbs total and maintaining at 143 lbs. My dietian told me 1200-1300 calories, high protein, low carb and fat. I occaionally eat breads, pasta, etc but if I over do it I get sick. Sugar causes the same problem.

My nut told me to stay between 1600 - 1800 but I barely can get to 1500 daily. I don't sweat it though. I eat 3 square meals and 2 snacks a day. I'm never hungry and I'm still losing.

My nut told me to stay between 1600 - 1800 but I barely can get to 1500 daily. I don't sweat it though. I eat 3 square meals and 2 snacks a day. I'm never hungry and I'm still losing.

Congrats for your loss. I also should stay around 1800, but with these cal per day I gained a lot of weight back (around 8 kg). My doc said we need the kcal that allow to maintain weight, if we gain there are too many if we loose not enough.

I also realise that why we are also getting older, the metabolism is changing, with a negative impact on the kcal. I now am convinced that 1200 per day with only 2x sport should be my maintenance level. But it is really not a lot.

I do count calories (I count everything! :D) and I average 1,800 calories/day and can maintain my weight on that (16 months out).

I exercise every day - even if it's my usual 3 mile walk. If I'm being lazy then I'll drop a couple of hundred calories. If get a bee in my bonnet and work out extra hard then I'll add a couple of hundred.

Do you still count daily your cal? I write down daily all what I eat and count, and my nut told me to stop. I did it last year in Dec and JAn. Added to which I had certainly increased cal intake per day, I put up 8 kg. Now I started to write down again, incl sport, cal. At least I control (weight has stabilized since then).

Congratulations for doing phys. exerc. daily. !

Congrats for your loss. I also should stay around 1800, but with these cal per day I gained a lot of weight back (around 8 kg). My doc said we need the kcal that allow to maintain weight, if we gain there are too many if we loose not enough.

I also realise that why we are also getting older, the metabolism is changing, with a negative impact on the kcal. I now am convinced that 1200 per day with only 2x sport should be my maintenance level. But it is really not a lot.

I've changed my calories intake. I'm now between 1200 & 1500. When I tried eating more than that it seems like I was maintaining weight but I'm still trying to lose. I've gotten my metabolism moving by exercising in the morning and eating 5 small meals a day. I'm doing really well with it. In January I was 243 and now I'm 203.8. If I wasn't maintaining for 3 weeks I probably would be in One-derland now lol but this weightloss things is a mystery to me now. I'm 5 years out. I didn't take that much advantage of my pouch when I should have so now I'm doing it all by myself. Its a journey with a lot of questions but I'm surviving.

Edited by Mz_Desz

I eat between 700-800 a day. Occasionally it will go as hig as 1000 but not usually. My surgeon never spoke of counting calories but I do. And now that my weight is down, I thought I would try to relax and not count so much to see what would happen but can't seem to stop. I'm obsessed with the calories. And when my husband sees me looking at the labels, he says "stop that! Put that down. Don't worry about it" He says I'm fine now and don't need to worry about it. My mom and many others say so too, but I just can't seem to stop counting those calories!

This was my post back in 2009. I was at about 150 then and kept losing down to 134. Then gained back to 142 and have stayed there for about a year and a half. Very happy. I eat about 1800-1900 cal a day and maintain that weight. What an awesome journey. So glad I did this!

I count my calories everyday and try to stay around 1200 a day. I exercise 4 days a week and burn about 800, and on those days my net calories doe the day are anywhere from 250 to 600. I feel, even though I count everything, that I'm eating like a horse. I think about food constantly, and I can't seem to get that part to go away. I am currently 151 and trying to lose down to 125...which may or may not be attainable. I am 13 months out as of tomorrow.

I'm an obsessive calorie counter. I currently try and take in 2400 calories a day, it sounds like a TON and compared to how much I was eating right after the surgery it sure is alot. But I'm finding its very easy to for me to eat more. I'm well below my goal weight and am now trying to put on some muscle, but I have a mental block on allowing myself to eat more than I'm burning. Regardless, I have managed to gain about 10 lbs from my lowest point and really like what I see in the mirror after working out so I guess I'm taking in the right about of calories for my body now.

For the record, I'm 6'0" and weighed in @ 165 lbs. According to http://calorieneedscalculator.com/index.html , I need 2481 calories to maintain my weight.

James

I used to count protein for a long while after surgery to make sure I was getting the right amount in, but never counted calories and still don't. I have never gained any weight back at all in five years and even still drop some every once in a while and then stay at that weight and don't go back up. I still don't count anything now. I just know by counting protein for so long when I am getting my daily quota in. I live by the moto, "Moderation is the key", so I don't cut out anything or worry about it. I just learned moderation and I get to enjoy whatever I want. I love being able to live this way. My pouch STILL keeps me in check though, so I am grateful for that. Sometimes my head will get frustrated because when I have a good meal and my head wants more, I find myself wishing I could have more of what I am eating, but my pouch always says....."Oh NO you don't". :) I'm very happy with my tiny little tummy.

According to my dietetician I should get around 1800 without big activity. However I gained a lot of weight, and realise that below 1200 I can loose, and around 1500 I can maintain. Certainly the slight hypothyroidemia is not helping.

I was strongly recommended not to write down all what I eat and count like crazy, but it is critical not to loose control, we might look (many of us) normal, but we are not. So I still count. I finally found out the following points that impact the weight gain:

- Nibbling between meals especially while cooking is a killer

- Staying at home instead of being out of home

- Eating a little something before bedtime is a killer (even if only prot / fruits)

- Reduce the quantity to

- Reduce the speed of eating- enjyoing it more, leading to less eating

- In buffets, really strickly stay with 1 dish/plate, avoid the reserving

- Before I go shop grocerie, I eat a big apple/fruit to avoid then "killing" the freshly baked and bought bread

- Keeping religiously the 1.5 Litter of water daily, and in addition to whihc a lot of coffee (Liquids)

- No chewing gums or sugar free candies: these are killers (in cal, in provoking gas, but also in keeping constantly our mind with "food")

- Keeping exercise (in any form ) at least 3 times a week

- Avoid lifts, and take the stairs ( if possible)

In the meantime our body/metabolism is also changing and we have to adapt (we are not getting younger)

And as said my physician, no matter how may cals theoretically I could eat, if I put on weight, that means I still eat more than needed.

And the battle for feeling good and free continues

I used to count protein for a long while after surgery to make sure I was getting the right amount in, but never counted calories and still don't. I have never gained any weight back at all in five years and even still drop some every once in a while and then stay at that weight and don't go back up. I still don't count anything now. I just know by counting protein for so long when I am getting my daily quota in. I live by the moto, "Moderation is the key", so I don't cut out anything or worry about it. I just learned moderation and I get to enjoy whatever I want. I love being able to live this way. My pouch STILL keeps me in check though, so I am grateful for that. Sometimes my head will get frustrated because when I have a good meal and my head wants more, I find myself wishing I could have more of what I am eating, but my pouch always says....."Oh NO you don't". :) I'm very happy with my tiny little tummy.

I am 7 1/2 years out and I too eat whatever I want just keep moderation in mind always. My tiny tummy also reminds me when my "fat brain" wants to keep eating, and I tell people all the time that pizza is the biggest post op let down for me. I also know when I cannot take 1 more bite of something sweet because I will be lying on my left side wanting to die for an hour if I do not listen to my tiny tummy!

This is an odd question for this forum as there are so many newbies answering-not long term post op at two or four or more years, but people still in the losing phase.

Losing stage calories should be between 800-1,000 max but long term maintenance should be considerably higher and dependent upon the exercise level but taking into consideration that the real charts for "normal" people do not apply to us. Mine states I should consume about 2400 calories a day to maintain, that would cause me to gain weight no question.

I think it is safe to state that post surgery we are still fat people metabolically and should probably erase about 400 to 500 calories daily from the level of a normal consumer.

This is an odd question for this forum as there are so many newbies answering-not long term post op at two or four or more years, but people still in the losing phase.

Losing stage calories should be between 800-1,000 max but long term maintenance should be considerably higher and dependent upon the exercise level but taking into consideration that the real charts for "normal" people do not apply to us. Mine states I should consume about 2400 calories a day to maintain, that would cause me to gain weight no question.

I think it is safe to state that post surgery we are still fat people metabolically and should probably erase about 400 to 500 calories daily from the level of a normal consumer.

That is an odd remark. There is not one newbie who posted in this post. I checked their surgery dates. The newest one was 18 months out. I'm a newbie, but I'm not commenting. I like to read the "old timers" so I know what pitfalls I need to watch out for.

That is an odd remark. There is not one newbie who posted in this post. I checked their surgery dates. The newest one was 18 months out. I'm a newbie, but I'm not commenting. I like to read the "old timers" so I know what pitfalls I need to watch out for.

Hi Nana60,

Actually, I am glad you are reading this since reading about your future is the best thing I think about this forum.

I find this forum the absolute best thing ever for our health and for support and I recommend it to everyone!

It helps while you are in the process, you can compare right away and then you can see what is coming up next for you.

I am only responding since you have pointed out that there are no newbies who posted on this thread and I was wrong.

Actually, this is in the long termers bin, like me, or I would not have made that comment.

The "honeymoon" phase lasts about 18 months for most people, for me unfortunately, it was only 14 months.

Anything prior to 18 months or even 2 years, is not a long termer, after the honeymoon phase for a majority of us, it becomes a daily battle of hard work, dieting -cutting calories, and exercising!

Let us not forget that many, many people fail at this and most of them are not here posting, even if they know about the site.

Prior to that, while the surgery is doing the work for you, your calorie intake and lifestyle can be completely different.

When you posted that you checked all the surgery dates and you were the newest one out, you overlooked the actual POSTING date of the remarks.

If you look at the top of the post in the dark area, you will see the original date of that post and then you can compare the surgery date.

I did this prior to posting my remarks since the thread made little sense to me when I read through it except for the four or five actual long termers.

This thread started in 2009, the original poster posted at 16 months out from their surgery.

There are about five people long term such as myself (even up to seven years who posted here), one person who came back after another year and was officially a long termer and stated how things had changed for her.

The other original posters were at :13 months, 8 months, 18 months, 9 months, 18 months, 11 months and 20 months.

I think you will agree that this thread should not have been in the long term category for a discussion on long term calorie intake if there were posters fairly fresh out of surgery.

I think you will find that in one year, your calorie intake, ability to lose weight and need for exercise will be quite different from the losing phase which is why we have these separate forums.

I have been on here for about three years now, I've seen long termers get irritated with newbies commenting about things as experts on the subject matter, now I fully see that the difference is large between 0-2 years and post 2 years.

For me personally, I added running 2-4 miles 6 days a week to my already large work out routine because I have been fighting the same 5 pounds for over a year now.

I thought that it might be easy to do a liquid diet and drop five or ten pounds like I did pre op and early on, guess what? Scale does not move south for me.

It is all a learning curve, not the one I wanted but a learning curve nonetheless.

I know personally of more failures than successes and a lot of people gain back about 25-30% of the lost weight and that is even in the statistics they feed to us prior to surgery.

I am just trying not to be an average success story that fits those statistics.

Hi Nana60,

Actually, I am glad you are reading this since reading about your future is the best thing I think about this forum.

I find this forum the absolute best thing ever for our health and for support and I recommend it to everyone!

It helps while you are in the process, you can compare right away and then you can see what is coming up next for you.

I am only responding since you have pointed out that there are no newbies who posted on this thread and I was wrong.

Actually, this is in the long termers bin, like me, or I would not have made that comment.

The "honeymoon" phase lasts about 18 months for most people, for me unfortunately, it was only 14 months.

Anything prior to 18 months or even 2 years, is not a long termer, after the honeymoon phase for a majority of us, it becomes a daily battle of hard work, dieting -cutting calories, and exercising!

Let us not forget that many, many people fail at this and most of them are not here posting, even if they know about the site.

Prior to that, while the surgery is doing the work for you, your calorie intake and lifestyle can be completely different.

When you posted that you checked all the surgery dates and you were the newest one out, you overlooked the actual POSTING date of the remarks.

If you look at the top of the post in the dark area, you will see the original date of that post and then you can compare the surgery date.

I did this prior to posting my remarks since the thread made little sense to me when I read through it except for the four or five actual long termers.

This thread started in 2009, the original poster posted at 16 months out from their surgery.

There are about five people long term such as myself (even up to seven years who posted here), one person who came back after another year and was officially a long termer and stated how things had changed for her.

The other original posters were at :13 months, 8 months, 18 months, 9 months, 18 months, 11 months and 20 months.

I think you will agree that this thread should not have been in the long term category for a discussion on long term calorie intake if there were posters fairly fresh out of surgery.

I think you will find that in one year, your calorie intake, ability to lose weight and need for exercise will be quite different from the losing phase which is why we have these separate forums.

I have been on here for about three years now, I've seen long termers get irritated with newbies commenting about things as experts on the subject matter, now I fully see that the difference is large between 0-2 years and post 2 years.

For me personally, I added running 2-4 miles 6 days a week to my already large work out routine because I have been fighting the same 5 pounds for over a year now.

I thought that it might be easy to do a liquid diet and drop five or ten pounds like I did pre op and early on, guess what? Scale does not move south for me.

It is all a learning curve, not the one I wanted but a learning curve nonetheless.

I know personally of more failures than successes and a lot of people gain back about 25-30% of the lost weight and that is even in the statistics they feed to us prior to surgery.

I am just trying not to be an average success story that fits those statistics.

Oops, my bad. I usually check the posting date. In the regular forums they don't go back so far. I too would be a bit offended if newbies come on this site and posted about how well they are doing etc. My biggest worry of course, is gaining it back. So I like to read the success stories and also those who have "fallen off the wagon" and why they did and what helped them get back on. It is a great site and I post here daily.

It is an amazing site. Would you believe that the nurse at the hospital said she does not recommend these sites?

I spoke up loudly and disagreed and told everyone they must use this web site!

I eat around 1200-1400 per day when I don't exercise, a little more if I do.