Aviator

Aviator's Log Book

Av, You are an amazin inspiration and a plethera of knowledge. Your family is very lucky to have you adn I know they are proud of you, not just for the surgery but for wanting to live and be heathy so you can be ther for them. High 5 to you my friend. You always give me something to think and be thankful for. I now am sitting here trying to think what I used to eat or not eat in my case for. I will let you know if I come up with anything.

Well" stable mate" Happy Valentines day and be good to yourself and even better to Bones........ Oh and did you buy any new clothes yet?

Only 1 hour and 45mins to go!

Still in the hospital....no water...those aweful swabs. Let me know soon.

Av, You are an amazin inspiration and a plethera of knowledge. Your family is very lucky to have you adn I know they are proud of you, not just for the surgery but for wanting to live and be heathy so you can be ther for them. High 5 to you my friend. You always give me something to think and be thankful for. I now am sitting here trying to think what I used to eat or not eat in my case for. I will let you know if I come up with anything.

Well" stable mate" Happy Valentines day and be good to yourself and even better to Bones........ Oh and did you buy any new clothes yet?

I havent been online for a few days - more about that in my next post.

Dawnelle, you are too kind. *High 5s back*. I did get some clothes - extreme winter clothing bought in Jackson Hole Wyoming. lmao

Well today is Monday and I have no earthly idea what I weigh. Bones and I are in Jackson Hole since last Friday and lemme tell you.....Its freezing @*# cold up here!!! Brrrrr! Im here on a business trip, believe it or not. And you know, being a Texas boy and all, it never really occurred to me to actually go North in the winter. Bones and I usually head to the islands for our winter respite. I thought I would post a few photos for you all...and add some to my profile.

Nutritionwise, Ive been pretty good. Havent overeaten a single meal. Nubbin is keeping me in line.

Here are a few:

post-7177-12990983699681_thumb.jpg

post-7177-12990983700357_thumb.jpg

post-7177-12990983723281_thumb.jpg

Great pics Aviator!!!

Enjoy those extra layers of fat while you can because they are on the way OUT and then you will really feel the cold, lol!

Jackson Hole is really beautiful, and I can understand how COLD you are. I'm always cold, even in nice warm (relatively speaking) southeast central Texas!!!

Enjoy your trip!

Well today is Monday and I have no earthly idea what I weigh. Bones and I are in Jackson Hole since last Friday and lemme tell you.....Its freezing @*# cold up here!!! Brrrrr! Im here on a business trip, believe it or not. And you know, being a Texas boy and all, it never really occurred to me to actually go North in the winter. Bones and I usually head to the islands for our winter respite. I thought I would post a few photos for you all...and add some to my profile.

Nutritionwise, Ive been pretty good. Havent overeaten a single meal. Nubbin is keeping me in line.

Here are a few:

Hey! You look great, even though you look cold. I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well.

Keep up the good work,

Hey Av,

You look so cute bundled up for winter!!! Thanks for sharing the photos! I bet you can't wait to get back to the heat. I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.

Happy travels,

Kimber~

Dam the cold!!! Aint it amazing how fricken cold wee get, going to the mountains this weekend, its been snowing for the last three days, they dont expect it to get above 20 fricken degrees!!

I just dont have enough warm clothes anymore!!!

Hello fireplace!! Just gotta flip a coin to see who goes out for firewood!!!

I gotta start drinking again, the cold was always a great excuse to drink heavily!!

I must say my weight's march downward is pretty steady. The first 5 weeks I lost almost 5 lbs per week, and now even with the trip to Jackson Hole last week, and being away from the "penultimate scale" on Monday last week, I am still losing at the same clip. About 2 lbs per week.

I can live with that! This is my last weigh in for Feb. While still windy and cold here on the Lake, spring is not far away! By the end of March another 10 lbs will be gone, and I'll have to buy a new swimsuit or two!

In the attachmets is a little chart that shows my progress to date. I've also put up a photo of some elk sparring for Baja. :) I took the photo while on a sleigh ride at the National Elk Refuge. I decided that elk are like cows with horns. Much like Caribou. Why anyone would want to hunt them is beyond me. I will admit they could use some thinning out (herd management) and I know lots of folks are glad to oblige. But the "sporting" spect of it is a bit suspect. Like shooting fish in a barrel or something. And no, Im not anti-hunting. I own guns and I hunt, but have a preference for a good over-under and fowl.

I just realized my BMI is now below what insurance would normally approve for WLS. (Although I was self-pay)

Enjoy your week everyone.

post-7177-12990983732526_thumb.png

post-7177-12990983732818_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aviator

I must say my weight's march downward is pretty steady. The first 5 weeks I lost almost 5 lbs per week, and now even with the trip to Jackson Hole last week, and being away from the "penultimate scale" on Monday last week, I am still losing at the same clip. About 2 lbs per week.

I can live with that! This is my last weigh in for Feb. While still windy and cold here on the Lake, spring is not far away! By the end of March another 10 lbs will be gone, and I'll have to buy a new swimsuit or two!

In the attachmets is a little chart that shows my progress to date. I've also put up a photo of some elk sparring for Baja. :) I took the photo while on a sleigh ride at the National Elk Refuge. I decided that elk are like cows with horns. Much like Caribou. Why anyone would want to hunt them is beyond me. I will admit they could use some thinning out (herd management) and I know lots of folks are glad to oblige. But the "sporting" spect of it is a bit suspect. Like shooting fish in a barrel or something. And no, Im not anti-hunting. I own guns and I hunt, but have a preference for a good over-under and fowl.

I just realized my BMI is now below what insurance would normally approve for WLS. (Although I was self-pay)

Enjoy your week everyone.

Oh dude, I could and have hunted them, not in the pristine setting of the refuse, but in the wild, mano e mano...one against nature, compete with a bow and arrow (or 8 of them!!) The thrill of the hunt and the excitement of "farming" and elk, is beyond words, and nothing better than enjoying meat for a couple years, again, I hunt, but only what I eat, I passed on the hunt the next year as I already had a lot left from the year before.

Of course that was way back when I wasn't so fricken fat I couldn't get a pair of non velcro boots on, but now....look out, its meat for everyone!!!!

And yes, the over under bird shooting is the best, could bring tears to your eyes with some of the dove shoots from Mexico, and pheasents, 15-20 a day, the Mexicans ate like kings while we were there, the best little fat birds even seen!! unbelievable, but you guys get some killer dove action down yonder your way too, been invited a few times, but haven't made it yet, some day some day~

2 pounds a week, well amigo, not bad at all, Ive been battling a little road block, but no worries, it will soon come off, dont care, it just feels good to be half normal again!!

Edited by Baja Big Dog

Oh dude, I could and have hunted them, not in the pristine setting of the refuse, but in the wild, mano e mano...one against nature, compete with a bow and arrow (or 8 of them!!) The thrill of the hunt and the excitement of "farming" and elk, is beyond words, and nothing better than enjoying meat for a couple years, again, I hunt, but only what I eat, I passed on the hunt the next year as I already had a lot left from the year before.

Of course that was way back when I wasn't so fricken fat I couldn't get a pair of non velcro boots on, but now....look out, its meat for everyone!!!!

And yes, the over under bird shooting is the best, could bring tears to your eyes with some of the dove shoots from Mexico, and pheasents, 15-20 a day, the Mexicans ate like kings while we were there, the best little fat birds even seen!! unbelievable, but you guys get some killer dove action down yonder your way too, been invited a few times, but haven't made it yet, some day some day~

2 pounds a week, well amigo, not bad at all, Ive been battling a little road block, but no worries, it will soon come off, dont care, it just feels good to be half normal again!!

You sound just like my hubby Baja...he's a hunter too. It drives me absolutely freaking nuts sometimes. :rolleyes: He hunts whitetail deer in rifle season, muzzler loader season, and archery season. That's not to mention turkey, bear, various small cute animals, and of course, fishing. I swear, if they had a blow dart season for chipmunks, he'd probably be out there hunting them. :P

Hey, not sure if they do this around your area...but check with your local food banks if you have unwanted game. Around here, they'll take deer, etc, butcher it up, and give it to needy families.

What in the world in a penultimate scale Aviator? Is that the kind they have in most doctor offices, with the sliding thing on top?

Sounds like your weight loss is going well. And yes...buying a new swimsuit or two is definitely a good idea. :D Let's just say that I tried to make it through last boating season without buying a new one, and I ended up having some "wardrobe issues". :eek:

Hi Aviator-isn't this weight loss MAGIC!!!

I am down 11 lbs in the first week!

Now something I have pondered in the past and am now repondering.Putting this in your blog as maybe Bones might help.

Preop I needed 2 different medications for BP.One of them slowed my heart rate due to my sufferring tachycardia.Normally my heart rate was about 120

Post surgery I am still not on any meds for BP or tachycardia.I thought it was due to the anaesthetic.I also have to take an anti-anxiety pill every day or I panic.I have reduced that as well and if I give myself time to wean my body off them I feel that I might cope-something I thought might never happen before.

OK I have had the op and have lost some weight but I was lighter mid last year and still needed the meds.

My theory or possible solution/answer is that it was due to the enormous amounts of artificial sweetener I was consuming prior to surgery-and for the last two decades.Sweeteners in my coffee(decaf)/lo-cal drinks etc etc.

The only change post op is the amount of coffee I am drinking-hardly any and the fact I am off diet-drinks.

Today I am going back to sugar-but much less of it.

I am now off to research my theory.

I walked a kilometre this morning.Very pleased as I was getting very bored.

Can know put my own socks on!!!!

Have fun today!!

What in the world in a penultimate scale Aviator? Is that the kind they have in most doctor offices, with the sliding thing on top?

Sounds like your weight loss is going well. And yes...buying a new swimsuit or two is definitely a good idea. :D Let's just say that I tried to make it through last boating season without buying a new one, and I ended up having some "wardrobe issues". :eek:

Bones is constantly cycling new scales in our bathroom. Its like...she doesnt like the message displayed when she steps on it so...zing! Presto chango new scale appears. When this one arrived she tagged it with the moniker, "Penultimate Scale". It gives you everything but a morning BJ, and there may be an attachment for that ... I dont know, and probably shouldn't ask. ;):rolleyes:

Here's a link: Soehnle 63697 Body Balance Comfort F5 Bathroom Scale

It not only measures weight, but sends little electric impulses thru the soles of your feet to measure muscle mass, fat %, hydration, and energy requirements in calories per day. It recognizes the user when stepping on the scale, discriminates me from Bones automatically, and keeps a little chart of weight data points for each of us. The readout mounts on the wall at eye level with a magnet (of all things), and "magically" communicates with the base. It gives a barrage of interesting information.

I sure as hell hope "penultimate" means the last one.

Bones is constantly cycling new scales in our bathroom. Its like...she doesnt like the message displayed when she steps on it so...zing! Presto chango new scale appears. When this one arrived she tagged it with the moniker, "Penultimate Scale". It gives you everything but a morning BJ, and there may be an attachment for that ... I dont know, and probably shouldn't ask. :rolleyes:

Here's a link: Soehnle 63697 Body Balance Comfort F5 Bathroom Scale

It not only measures weight, but sends little electric impulses thru the soles of your feet to measure muscle mass, fat %, hydration, and energy requirements in calories per day. It recognizes the user when stepping on the scale, discriminates me from Bones automatically, and keeps a little chart of weight data points for each of us. The readout mounts on the wall at eye level with a magnet (of all things), and "magically" communicates with the base. It gives a barrage of interesting information.

I sure as hell hope "penultimate" means the last one.

Lol at your description. :D So...if she doesn't like what the scale says, just get another one. That's a smart woman! :)

My scale is similar to that, but not quite as fancy...doesn't do the readout at eye level. And, I don't think any attachments are available. :D

My doctors office has one just like this. They give you a printout with all the info on it to take home. Every apt. there after you get another printout to show your progress.

I think it sounds great!

Bones is one smart chick!

My doctors office has one just like this. They give you a printout with all the info on it to take home. Every apt. there after you get another printout to show your progress.

I think it sounds great!

Bones is one smart chick!

And yes Bones is one smart chick! I've just never figured out why she hangs out with oil field trash like me. Go figure. ;)

AV, she sticks with you because you compliment her and her brains ans she does you....... Besides when you love someone that is all that matters. But I do love the new scale you have and I gotta look into getting one of those. You awesome man, tell that beautiful wife hello. Lets continue to loose together...........

Bones is constantly cycling new scales in our bathroom. Its like...she doesnt like the message displayed when she steps on it so...zing! Presto chango new scale appears. When this one arrived she tagged it with the moniker, "Penultimate Scale". It gives you everything but a morning BJ, and there may be an attachment for that ... I dont know, and probably shouldn't ask. ;):rolleyes:

Well, if it does THAT then count me in! I'll be ordering one ASAP!!! :D

Well, if it does THAT then count me in! I'll be ordering one ASAP!!! :D

He he! They have us by the peripherals...

And it is very early Monday. It's a WOW day for me because Im officially down 50 lbs now. I'm really beginning to feel pretty good. People are starting to notice - so long as Im not standing next to Bones.

The funny thing is that I'm at a weight and waist size that I've never been satisfied with - and Im certainy not content this time either. However, I do really feel good. Maybe the feeling is that of being EMPOWERED, rather than one of contentment. Why empowered? Because Im in control now. Im choosing to lose, and its working. Things are moving the right way. I can project that I will be at my goal weight by August. Its not that far away.

And you know the best thing? Im never going back this time. No rebound. No regain of the weight. Ever. I had half my stomach cut out and rolled into a 4 oz sleeve. It permanent. Im committed. No going back.

And why would I ever want to?

Two of my grandkids were here with their parents this weekend. They are ages 5 and 3. They are so precious, and so much fun to have around. Lord willing, I made a choice to be around for them.

The Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy decision was a good one. Im feeling very blessed in so many ways today. :D

Yes, it is, indeed, empowering. That's the word for it.

Congratulations on your wonderful journey!!!

Monday March 9

This past week my body has been playing little tricks on me. So Im now dealing with a plateau. I admit the past week has been stressful. There is no good news anywhere. I’ve stopped watching TV or listening to news on the radio. The stock market has fallen to 12 year lows, the rig count (my industry’s leading indicator of business activity) has never fallen so fast, and is at depression levels. Domestic: down. Foreign: down. Oil price: down. Natural gas price: down. Unemployment now at 8%. 2009? NFG. And I’m now worried about 2010. Thousands of people have lost their jobs in the oil patch. And I have to figure out a way to keep my company on target, moving forward, and our people busy. Fifty really wonderful people and their families depend on me to do so.

So my weight bouncing up slightly is really no big deal – a far cry from my worst problem. And the bounce is only 1 lb. I haven’t been eating more than normal – just running at warp speed for the past 10 or so days. Probably not getting enough water. Dunno. Bigger fish to fry right now. I haven’t been getting home from work before 10:30 pm.

I leave today on a two week trip that includes Norway, London, and Bahrain (in the Middle East). This trip will be my first big challenge since surgery. There will be no supermarkets with fresh foods, no health food stores, no familiar “healthy choice” restaurants. No ”penultimate scale” to help me monitor my weight daily. There will be airplane food, hotel food, dehydrating environments and jet lag. So if you’ve been watching Aviator’s Log Book, and are interested in my post-op flight, stay tuned. Turbulence ahead. :P

The next two weeks will be a big challenge for my weight loss plan and Nubbin’s capacity to help me stay on target. I did pack some protein bars, mixable protein powders and other WLS meal replacement things to help out. Ironically, I'm staying in the Ritz-Carlton in Bahrain, so there will be no shortage of food. LOL. Everything you could possibly WANT will be there. The trick is just getting in what you need and no more. Normally, I hate going to a restaurant, sitting and eating alone - so I'll try to leverage that to keep unnecessary calories from going in. This trip, and others to come, are why I picked VSG instead of bypass surgery. Complications while abroad would really suck.

I will have a laptop with me, and will be communicating regularly while abroad, so as far as TT is concerned, I really won’t be “gone”. I'll just be in sassy's time zone. So think ‘displaced”. I leave Houston tonight at 7pm CDT. Next stop, London. Norway on Wednesday.

I'll post some pics for ya. :)

Av, operative words: Room Service. Don't eat alone in a restaurant - it will cause you to eat more.

Don't concern yourself with stalls (a word I hate). Realistically, the body MUST adjust to the changes going on. Just keep doing what you know is the right thing for your body. Your awareness now is so much more than it was.

I so get what you are saying about the global situation. I don't watch the news, either. My heart goes out to you as you protect and defend your company and its employees.