Protein Bars and Beef Jerky

mom2theAteam

On my last check-up, my dietician said it was okay for me to have protein bars - in fact, they are listed on the list of 'high protein snacks' she gave to me. However, she said that they have to be less than 200 calories and of course, should not contain sugar. I'm having a difficult time finding protein bars that do not contain 'brown rice syrup'. I'm not sure if this ingredient is okay or not, and the only bars I've found that are okay are Healthwise bars, and at $2 per bar at my weight clinic, they are just too pricey. Any suggestions?

Also on my list is beef jerky. Oddly, eating beef right now is too harsh on my stomach for digestion, but beef jerky is not. The one I tried was excellent, but at $5.50 per pkg it's also expensive. I've tried some from the store but am looking for suggestions on any brands people have tried that they would recommend.

Thanks!

Kim

Mom to Alex (11), Aaron & Aidan (2 yr old twins)

2 months, 5 days post-op

48 lbs lost since surgery

Beef jerky 2 months out? Wow! I can't imagine trying to process that. It doesn't hurt? I struggled with a lot of meats, especially beef. I'm sorry, I don't have any advice on the protien bars :( Since my most recent surgery, they want me on protien drinks every day, but I'm having a hard time finding any that don't make me gag. I thought I was good when I found the fruit protien tubes, but I just read on here that it's not a good choice so I'm back to square one :P

The protein bars that I use are the South Beach Diet protein bars...usually under 190 calories with 10 grams of protein. I buy them at Costco. I am going by memory here on the protein count, could be 15 grams not sure. And Costco also has the large bags of Jerky...which I LOVE but it tends too give me gas (yeah I know..TMI).

On my last check-up, my dietician said it was okay for me to have protein bars - in fact, they are listed on the list of 'high protein snacks' she gave to me. However, she said that they have to be less than 200 calories and of course, should not contain sugar. I'm having a difficult time finding protein bars that do not contain 'brown rice syrup'. I'm not sure if this ingredient is okay or not, and the only bars I've found that are okay are Healthwise bars, and at $2 per bar at my weight clinic, they are just too pricey. Any suggestions?

Also on my list is beef jerky. Oddly, eating beef right now is too harsh on my stomach for digestion, but beef jerky is not. The one I tried was excellent, but at $5.50 per pkg it's also expensive. I've tried some from the store but am looking for suggestions on any brands people have tried that they would recommend.

Thanks!

Kim

Mom to Alex (11), Aaron & Aidan (2 yr old twins)

2 months, 5 days post-op

48 lbs lost since surgery

I eat the South Beach protein bars and they are 190 calories and 10 grams of protein per bar. You can now find them at Dollar General Stores for $3.00 per box (yeh WOW). I can only use the whey protein shake mix (I don't lose weight on anything else and it also helps my bowels (no constipation with that stuff). and you can purchase it at any walmart for $14- $18.00 per container in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry flavors. If you find it to be too rich like I do I miss 1 and 1/2 scoops of chocolate with 1/2 scoop of vanilla . Same with the strawberry. and one shake mixed with water is less than 200 calories. (I don't use the milk to mix it , I save calories that way) Taste bad but if you use it to take your meds by the time that your meds are all down your shake is over half gone. :D. Little hint there. good luck and the Jerky well some say it is good for you others disagree. I eat it myself because like you I dont tolerate meat at all and I almost 6 months out. So good luck there. If you dont have a problem with sodiium intake you will be fine with Jerky. Bee tends to be grainy to me. Hope this helps.

For protein shakes i use Unjury. 20 grams of protein and only 4 grams of carbs. 100 calories in a shake. if i mix with milk its 180 cals in a shake. I sometimes put in a bit of sugar free general foods suisse mocha instant coffee mix. this makes it taste like a coffee drink from starbucks. The price is reasonable 17.00 a container and it only takes a few clicks of my PC and its at my door in a couple of days.

I wont be on solids for about another month but i do have a love a beef jerky i might have to give that a try depending on how my pouch reacts when i am able to consume food again.

I've used the Healthwise bars too. My surgeon's practice sells them at $9/box of 7 but that is still rather pricey.

Like the ladies above I have used the South Beach Protein bars. Yes, there is sugar in them but only 7 grams per bar and unless you are extremely sugar sensitive, most people find that they can tolerate that amount of sugar.

In regards to the jerky? I prefer the kind that is soft and chewy. There is a local store here who makes the BEST turkey jerky but at $8 per 1/2 pound I don't buy it often. :eek:

I rarely eat protein bars, unless I absolutely can't find anything more suitable to eat (like when I'm out somewhere). I'd rather have "real" food to eat instead. I bought the Detour brand which are fair-tasting, and the South Beach brand, which taste much better.

Whatever type you chose, watch the sugar content and the sugar alcohol content. Some of us can tolerate sugar alcohol, and some get tummy cramps, diarrhea, etc.

Beef jerky is a trigger food for me...I have a hard time just eating one serving and stopping. The Jack Links chunks (not the right name) are a lot more tender than the traditional jerky.

I'm no lover of protein bars - mostly cause I don't have a sweet tooth but also because they remind me too much of the candy bars I devoured with abandon in my former puffy life.

Of the ones I did try, Atkins were amongst my favourites.

GNC has a pretty good selection: GNC

The S'mores, Peanut Fudge Granola and Peanut Butter Granola bars are low in sugars and 17g protein.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Wow protein bars would be great cause it's so hard to get all the protein needed in a day (and my surgeon's against using protein powder/shakes).

So when would protein bars be ok to try?

Wow protein bars would be great cause it's so hard to get all the protein needed in a day (and my surgeon's against using protein powder/shakes).

So when would protein bars be ok to try?

I don't know why your surgeon is against protein shakes but some are, some aren't. You might want to ask him/her why. And you should probably ask whether they'd consider protein bars OK too.

Early out, or if meat is a problem, for many of us, protein shakes are the only way of getting a decent level of protein in.

My stepdad makes homemade beef jerky...it is better than any store brand! I would suggest making your own, because you can control what you put on it.