Question Regarding funding...

Hello everyone!

I am currently signed up to have a Mini Gastric bypass in Costa Rica in January. However, since the Canadian dollar has taken such a large dip the costs of my surgery and hospital stay have gone over budget by 3000$. I'm curious if anyone knows of a way to apply to Alberta health care (or whomever) for additional funding? In the meantime I'll be cheering on the Canadian dollar.

I was on a waiting list in BC to see Dr. Amsen until We had to relocate to Alberta and I missed my long awaited appointment with him. :(

Does anyone know of a doctor in Alberta that performs the mini gastric bypass as opposed to lap band or RnY??

Thanks for all of your help!

• 3 months later...
Hello everyone!

I am currently signed up to have a Mini Gastric bypass in Costa Rica in January. However, since the Canadian dollar has taken such a large dip the costs of my surgery and hospital stay have gone over budget by 3000$. I'm curious if anyone knows of a way to apply to Alberta health care (or whomever) for additional funding? In the meantime I'll be cheering on the Canadian dollar.

I was on a waiting list in BC to see Dr. Amsen until We had to relocate to Alberta and I missed my long awaited appointment with him. :(

Does anyone know of a doctor in Alberta that performs the mini gastric bypass as opposed to lap band or RnY??

I will be going to India for my lapband. I was going to get the Gastric Sleeve but have hear from to many that they have not lost wight this it. I`m trying to find out what Alberta Health Care will cover too. Will let you know if I find out. Louise

Hello everyone!

You have up to a year to claim some of your money from the health care. It`s not much around 1500$ Just phone the Alberta Health Care Louise

I'm a little confused here...why are people leaving the country to have these procedures done? I'm guessing you don't meet the requirements? Just wondering because I'm having my Roux En Y done on March 31 in Edmonton and it's not costing me a cent. Just wondering...thanks.

I'm a little confused here...why are people leaving the country to have these procedures done? I'm guessing you don't meet the requirements? Just wondering because I'm having my Roux En Y done on March 31 in Edmonton and it's not costing me a cent. Just wondering...thanks.

how long have you been on the waiting list? I have being on the list for over a year and kept getting moved back,because I am only over wight with no health issues. Do they do the lapband in Edm.? Louise

It's only taken a few months from start to finish...well almost finished. I got a referral from my family doc just after Xmas and zoom went from there. So unless I get bumped around at the last minute I'm going full steam ahead. My surgeon is Dr. Davey in Edmonton and he does everything except sleeve gastrectomy (I think). I, also, am in good health otherwise. Good Luck!!!

Edited by Mamacat60
how long have you been on the waiting list? I have being on the list for over a year and kept getting moved back,because I am only over wight with no health issues. Do they do the lapband in Edm.? Louise

I'm not getting lapband and not sure who does it but, my weight for Surgery is 1 year three days(weekend fell in there) and I was reffered I just last summer/fall so Under 2 years start to finish Have you tried getting into Sask I know they do it there and if Alberta covers it they will cover into Sask I know of Alberta patients getting sent to Toronto for surgery I think they just paid travel.

Have you called the Dr and asked to be put on cancelation list?I got told to do that I called twice Dec 15 and then about same time in Jan and went from an appointment in 2011 to we have an opening on Tuesday can you be here.

can't you guys travel a little further into the states rather than going to india and costa rica??

Even with airfares, India, Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, Thailand etc., are cheaper for those self-paying.

In the US for example, the gastric sleeve is about $20,000. In India it's around $7,500.

Even with airfares, India, Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, Thailand etc., are cheaper for those self-paying.

In the US for example, the gastric sleeve is about $20,000. In India it's around $7,500.

ya, i understand that. but does healthcare not support US territories?? so someone in canada couldnt use their insurance in the us? that would make sense, obviously... but it sucks.

ya, i understand that. but does healthcare not support US territories?? so someone in canada couldnt use their insurance in the us? that would make sense, obviously... but it sucks.

The two systems are very different. Canada provides universal access to health care and doesn't appear to put WLS high on it's list of priorities - the UK is the same.

And after reading this about Ontario - I'd probably be looking for alternatives too:

Most provinces consider the surgical treatment of morbid obesity an insured service under the publicly funded Medicare Act. There are variations within each Province so you should check with your provincial health authority.

Unfortunately, even with Medicare paying for bariatric surgery, finding a public hospital/surgeon to do it in a timely fashion is nearly imposible for most patients. A wait of 5-7 years for weight loss surgery in publically funded hospitals across Canada is the norm.

Extrapolating from 2003 United States statistics, Ontario requires 4,500 bariatric surgeries per year for patients with severe obesity. In 2004, however, only 200 WLS procedures were performed within the province. In that same year, 650 patients were referred to bariatric surgery centers outside of Canada (mainly in the USA) to pick up some of this slack.

Canadian Health Departments such as OHIP in Ontario will cover WLS in the USA if certain conditions are met. OHIP will pay in full for health services outside Canada if: a) the patient gets written authorization from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care before the treatment is given, B) the treatment is generally accepted in Ontario, and c) the treatment or an equivalent procedure is not performed in Ontario, or d) the treatment is performed in Ontario but it is necessary that the person travel outside Canada to avoid a delay that would result in death or medically significant irreversible tissue damage. To obtain consideration for full funding of treatment outside Canada, the patient's physician must apply to the ministry for approval while the patient is in Ontario and before the patient receives out-of-country treatment. The application form is two pages long and is reviewed by an OHIP physician for medical merit. Additional documentation (e.g. a letter from the patient's surgeon) can also increase the likelihood of the application getting approved by OHIP.

Maybe one of our Canadian members can jump in and explain this a little better.

The two systems are very different. Canada provides universal access to health care and doesn't appear to put WLS high on it's list of priorities - the UK is the same.

ahhhh, that stinks for them!

ahhhh, that stinks for them!

Corrine you explain it pretty much like it is. The lapband cost 16,000.00 in Toronto,Can. (you can not get the Gastric sleeve in Can.) Alberta healthcare will pay only 1,500.00 towards the lapband if you go to Toronto.That`s why I will be going to India. It`s a same that we have to go out of county. Canadain Doctor are cover against being sued,not like in the US. Why the Doctors here are charging the self payer 7,000.00 more then what the Can. healthcarewould pay them I don`t know. Louise

Dr. Karmali in Edmonton does Sleeve Gastrectomy. I got a referral to him but decided to go with RNY with Dr. Davey. So it IS done in Canada. Get a refferal to Dr. Karmali if you want to investigate it further. Also, if you are deemed morbidly obese any of these proceedures are, in fact, covered by our health care system in Canada providing your doctor says you qualify. Good Luck!

Edited by Mamacat60
Dr. Karmali in Edmonton does Sleeve Gastrectomy. I got a referral to him but decided to go with RNY with Dr. Davey. So it IS done in Canada. Get a refferal to Dr. Karmali if you want to investigate it further. Also, if you are deemed morbidly obese any of these proceedures are, in fact, covered by our health care system in Canada providing your doctor says you qualify. Good Luck!

I will have to have a talk with my doctor, because he said it was not ok here yet. Yes you are covered here if you want to wait. I live in AB. and can go to Toronto now, but I will have to pay 16,000.00 and will only get 1,500.00 back I have checked it out. Thank you for the information Louise

Edited by twobytwo
  • 5 years later...

I know this is an old post - but I thought I would share my experience...

I've struggled with weight all my life.  I can't even count how much weight I gained/lost/gained/lost.  I did not qualify for a VSG in Alberta as my BMI was 31.  Even if I did qualify, the wait list can be up to two years.

I went through WLF Medical.  The founder was from Nanton - and now the company is based out of Saskatoon.  The surgery is in Tijuana.  I realize that some people may have fear when they hear that the surgery is in MX.  I can't say enough good things about it!!!  Clean, professional, State of the Art facility.  Truly better than most hospitals in Alberta!!!

I paid out of pocket.  Around $14K.  That included flight, transportation to and from the facility, hotel, hospital stay, medications, and unlimited access to their facilitator.  

Dr Pompa is amazing.