B12 problems??

Upnorth

Hey, things with post-op have been realitvly sysmptom free, until the past two weeks, I have been experiencing muscel weakness in my right leg and tremors in my hands. To the point where it has become obvious to others. My last Vit B12 levels were low, so the doctor up my dose to daily instead of weekly. Has any one else experienced this???

I have problems with my B-12 levels (for years, even before surgery), but mine has never gotten to that extent.

Not sure, but aren't there shots for B-12? In a situation like yours, that might be more appropriate than an OTC supplement.

B12 deficiencies are common post op. In an effort to prevent this specific deficiency, I personally take 2 sublingual b-12 tablets once a day. According to the label, I am taking over 34000% of the RDA for b-12. Since b-12 is a water soluble vitamin, anything my body doesnt use is excreted in my urine. I can honestly tell a difference if i miss my dose in the mornings. The reason I take them daily is because I would never remember to just take it once a week.

My problem with deficiencies is Vitamin D. I think i may have solved this though since i found a lemon gummy vitamin d that is organic and provides 1000 IU of vitamin D.

Stay on top of your bloodwork and your b-12 doses. I hope the deficiency symptoms resolve themselves soon.

Hey, things with post-op have been realitvly sysmptom free, until the past two weeks, I have been experiencing muscel weakness in my right leg and tremors in my hands. To the point where it has become obvious to others. My last Vit B12 levels were low, so the doctor up my dose to daily instead of weekly. Has any one else experienced this???

What was your B12 number? What and how much B12 are you now on?

But yes - I had the same problem.

My instructions were for 1000mcg sublingual daily and I was religious about taking it. Unfortunately, my B12 level dropped.

It was suggested I switch from cyancobalamin to methylcobalamin B12 sublinguals or spray. (Cyancobalamin has to be converted to methylcobalaminin the body). And that worked - a little too well cause my last B12 test was 1452pg/mL :D

Maybe you might want to ask your PCP about B12 patches, nasal spray or even injections.

Even in normies, it's not unusual for people to have an issue absorbing B12.

Anyway - vitacost has the Jarrow Formulas methylcobalamin lozenges in 1,000 and 5,000mcg doses.

B12 deficiencies are common post op. In an effort to prevent this specific deficiency, I personally take 2 sublingual b-12 tablets once a day. According to the label, I am taking over 34000% of the RDA for b-12. Since b-12 is a water soluble vitamin, anything my body doesnt use is excreted in my urine. I can honestly tell a difference if i miss my dose in the mornings. The reason I take them daily is because I would never remember to just take it once a week.

My problem with deficiencies is Vitamin D. I think i may have solved this though since i found a lemon gummy vitamin d that is organic and provides 1000 IU of vitamin D.

Stay on top of your bloodwork and your b-12 doses. I hope the deficiency symptoms resolve themselves soon.

Amity, what is the brand of the sublingual b-12 tablets? I've only been able to find a liquid sublingual, and I almost barfed when I tried it. I'm currently using some type of tablet I found at the drug store. Also, can you also share the info about the Vit-D lemon gummy vitamin? I'm taking a massive pill, and it doesn't agree with me very well. Thanks. :)

Amity, what is the brand of the sublingual b-12 tablets? I've only been able to find a liquid sublingual, and I almost barfed when I tried it. I'm currently using some type of tablet I found at the drug store. Also, can you also share the info about the Vit-D lemon gummy vitamin? I'm taking a massive pill, and it doesn't agree with me very well. Thanks. :)

Sherry - if you want to PM me your mailing info, I'll pop a few of the Jarrow Formulas 1,000mg methylcobalamin lozenges in the mail to you.

I love the Rainbow Light gummy vitamin D3 but popping 5 twice a day to get the amount I needed proved a little more than my tummy could handle.

Edited by cinwa

Sherry - if you want to PM me your mailing info, I'll pop a few of the Jarrow Formulas 1,000mg methylcobalamin lozenges in the mail to you.

I love the Rainbow Light gummy vitamin D3 but popping 5 twice a day to get the amount I needed proved a little more than my tummy could handle.

You're the best Corrine. :) I'm PM'ing you right now.

i get my b12 from ourhealthcoop.com its called the b-trio chewable. its 60 chewables/sublinguals. they used to call it sublingual but something about the FDA rules changing made them change the name to chewable. I use them as sublinguals and they havent changed the formulation due to the FDA rules. Each tablet is 1000mcg B12 5mg b6 and 400 mcg folic acid. I take 2 of these a day so i get all my folic acid requirement as well as my b12 and b6. They melt fast and dont have a nasty aftertaste. 60 per bottle for less than 5 bucks (i think) They are well worth it to me. I tried the Celebrate brand b12 and its a huge pill and half what i get with my current one and its gritty and i didnt like the taste on it. Service is always great at OurHealthCoop.com - Affordable, Quality Vitamins & Supplements For Healthy Aging and they ship fast and pretty cheap. I never pay for more than first class mail shipping and usually get my order within 5 days of payment. They take paypal too. I have been using them since pre-op for my b12 and will continue to use them. They also have a newsletter where they issue coupon codes from time to time as well. i think if you sign up for the newsletter they send you a coupon code right after signing up for your first purchase.

I also take the Rainbow Light brand Vit D 1000IU lemon gummies (purchased at kroger). I have only been taking 1 a day since my dr mentioned my deficiency so hopefully we will be able to tell wednesday at my appt if it helped or i need to take more. they cost me 8.99 for a bottle of 50 and they taste pretty darn good. 2 grams sugar 3 carbs no fat. they taste like lemon gummy bears to me.

anywho, hope that helps.

..........I also take the Rainbow Light brand Vit D 1000IU lemon gummies (purchased at kroger). I have only been taking 1 a day since my dr mentioned my deficiency so hopefully we will be able to tell wednesday at my appt if it helped or i need to take more. they cost me 8.99 for a bottle of 50 and they taste pretty darn good. 2 grams sugar 3 carbs no fat. they taste like lemon gummy bears to me....

This is an interesting article: Vitamin D in health and disease. [Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008] - PubMed Result

In a nutshell, 1,000IU of vitamin D3 daily will raise your levels 10ng and 3,000IU will raise it 30ng.

If you're deficient then 1,000IU will do nothing.

Warning for you - for severe vitamin D deficiency, docs traditionally prescribe D2 ergocalciferol (little green capsule). There is no doubt, the dry form D3 cholecalciferol is THE most effective form: The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement -- Houghton and Vieth 84 (4): 694 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

If you need a seriously high dose (and I have 50,000IU caps), you can get the dry form D3 from vitalady.com It's like $23.00/100 caps.

If you don't need such a high dose, vitalady has a good range or vitacost.com is always worth a look at. They have NSI Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) in 1,000, 2,000 and 4,000IU caps and they're just tiny little things.

Your body naturally uses 3,000 - 5,000IU of vitamin D every day. And I could go on and on about the benefits of keeping your levels up, bone health, heart, cancer etc. etc.

Vitamin D: D Max : Vitamin D and Cancer

Vitamin D Boosts Health, Cuts Cancer Risk in Half

Did I mention that I like vitamin D? :D

I have a question on this as well. I am one week pre-op. My dr. told me to just stick with the multivitamin for now. They suggested not taking the sublingual B12 unless I show a deficiency. SO my question is, does it hurt to take the B12? I just do not want to become deficient. They said something about having too much B12 can throw other things off. (Like what?)

My last set of labs showed a too high level of B12 as well.. so instead of taking the supplement daily, I take it only twice a week.

I'm not sure what a too high level of B12 causes, though.

• 4 months later...

I am 5 weeks Post-Op, 26 years old. I can't take pills and I wnated to find a good Gummie Vitamin I could take!! Right now, I am taking One Source Active Kids: Gummies Multivitamin, 60 ct. Amount Per 2 Gummies: Vitamin A 2000 Iu, Vitamin C 30 Mg, Vitamin D 200 Iu, Vitamin E 20 Iu, Vitamin B6 1 Mg, Vitamin B12 5 Mcg, Biotin 75 Mcg, Iodine 40 Mcg, Zinc 2.5 Mg, Choline 30 Mcg, Inositol 20 Mcg

I am 5 weeks Post-Op, 26 years old. I can't take pills and I wnated to find a good Gummie Vitamin I could take!! Right now, I am taking One Source Active Kids: Gummies Multivitamin, 60 ct. Amount Per 2 Gummies: Vitamin A 2000 Iu, Vitamin C 30 Mg, Vitamin D 200 Iu, Vitamin E 20 Iu, Vitamin B6 1 Mg, Vitamin B12 5 Mcg, Biotin 75 Mcg, Iodine 40 Mcg, Zinc 2.5 Mg, Choline 30 Mcg, Inositol 20 Mcg

Check out Bariatric Vitamins | Celebrate Bariatric Supplements | Bariatric Surgery & Nutrition

Quite a few people here take this particular brand, and they're formulated for WLS patients. They're available in chewable and regular.

Sparkle - Kiddies Gummies are great - if you're a kid!

The latest recommendations for WLS people is 200% of the RDA vitamins and minerals. 2 gummy kids vits doesn't even come close I'm afraid.

An example: Your 2 gummies give just 2,000IU vitamin D. That doesn't even meet the RDA for a "normal" person (2,333IU/female, 3,000/male).

Take a look at page 7 of this document. It lists what we need: http://www.asbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf

I can recommend the Celebrate Multi's - that's what I take. Bariatric Advantage has a good one too - both come in a chewable form.