FutureFitGirly

Suggestions Needed!

What kind of foods did ya'll eat in the 2nd stage? scrambled eggs and purred soups aside. what about beans? those are high in protien, right? anything mushy really? and do you have to blend it or do you just chew really well? I'm really scared to piss my pouch off. I've had zero trouble so far.

Its amazing how many questions I have!! I had 6 months of classes and thought I knew it all. Just so confusing!! Thanks so much for being there TT family.

Hey Megan, beans are good, and I lived off of that and mashed potatoes. Taco Bell pintos and cheese are the bomb.

my staples were

scrambled eggs

dannon light n fit yogurt (most other yogurt has alot of sugar)

whipped cottage cheese

chilli

soft cheeses

cream of wheat

sugar free oatmeal

pasta fagioli....less the pasta of course

creamy peanut butter

It goes by fast though.....you will be chewing soon lol

I really enjoyed ricotta cheese with a little Ragu and parmesan all heated up in the micro during that stage.

I also ate canned refried beans with LF cheese, sour cream, and Taco Bell taco sauce (which is pretty healthy...mainly just made up of vinegar and peppers.)

-Mike

beans didn't work for me that soon but anything on your diet plan list is ok to try.. the one thing I would recommend is that when you add something new, eat just a little of it and see how you feel... and only add one thing a day (max) to see how it goes.. if you add yogurt and beans in one day.. or 2 different types of beans.. who knows which one pissed off the little one eh? ;)

thanks for the input everybody! are we allowed tomato sauce?? I guess every surgeon is different, I'll have to ask him. but that sounds so good!!

thanks for the input everybody! are we allowed tomato sauce?? I guess every surgeon is different, I'll have to ask him. but that sounds so good!!

Yes, every surgeon is different and it is best to follow their directions. Mine pushed eggs and milk for protien but I couldnt do either. I still have problems with eggs and milk. Eggs just last night. Tried to eat egg salad and no sooner than 3 minutes and there they were again. Sorry if too visual.

I waited for 1 month out for tomatoe sauce. I was scared of the acid. But if you try it just try a little and see how it does. At 2 weeks I had beans, cheese, eggs (didn't do so well with those at first), cottage cheese, cream soups, yogurt.. Did have to puree, just chew, chew, chew.

I ate all the listed stuff (still do at 6 weeks out) but my favorite was the refried beans. I'd get a can and mush it up in a pan with about half a cup of chicken broth (extra protien and made it creamy!) and then I'd add some lowfat shredded cheese or a lil cottage cheese on top of it on my plate with a dash of my favorite hot sauce. YUM....

Matter of fact.. it's lunchtime! Beans here I come.

I ate beans like crazy back then. I never had to puree, just chew thouroughly. I loved, and still do SF chocolate fudge pudding, but not the kind that came in cups...the kind you make. I also ate Wendy's or Stagg chili. That actually was the one thing I pureed.

I'm into my third week. Currently eating:

Tilapia

Scallops

Ground meat (meatballs)

Ricotta Cheese (the other night I put a little bit of ricotta in a ramekin, topped with a little bit of Hunt's spaghetti sauce (low in sugar) and a meatball cut up, then a little more sauce on top, baked until hot - total made about 1/2 cup - ate about 1/4 cup - so good!)

Yogurt (fage or Stonyfield's Greek yogurt - plain with some sugar free blueberry preserves mixed in)

Cottage cheese

Scrambled egg

Creamy soup

Tried Taco Bell pintos and cheese today - good, but won't do it often

Lunch meat and swiss cheese, rolled up, dipped in mustard

I loved grits at that stage

yogurt sometimes, it wasnt something I wanted every day

small amounts of SF oatmeal, a smidge runnier than usual

chili (the wendys chili reciepe off here YUMMY)

SF pudding

SF fudgecicles

refried beans with cheese

and oh, water LOL

loved my water - still do

I must be the only one on here who hates beans--I think my life would be easier if I did like them--lol

Don't beans just exacerbate the gas/bm issues we are gonna experience early post-op? I'm scared of beans as it is because of the effect they have on me...I don't know about after GBS?

Otherwise, thanks for this thread futurefitgirly, lots of good info for the october staplers crowd.

-Trish

I mixed canned enchillada sauce (used Medium) with refried beans - had to fight DH off it. Too good.

Also, don't forget dearly beloved "Fage 2%" yogurt. Might have to get it in a nutrition store, health-food store, etc. Don't get the fat free - it's nasty!

Just mix 1/4 pkg SF instant pudding mix (cheesecake is the best) with 2 oz milk, add either 1 small container Fage to it, or 1/2 of the big container. YUM. Lots of protein. Regular yogurt from the grocery store doesn't have enuf protein in it to make it worth the calories or carbs.

Also SF popcycles for when you've already "used up" all your carbs for the day.

And, of course, EAS protein shakes - Myoplex has more protein and less carbs. - Read the labels. (get them at Wal-Mart)

GrandmaRose

Lap RNY 05/08/08

Warning about the tomato sauce, taco sauce, or spaghetti sauce...these things do have sugar in them, so be careful at first to not dump on them. Ketchup also has sugar in it. Tomatoes even have high natural sugar, take note and be careful to test and see how you do. There are low sugar brands of spaghetti sauce. Just have to shop around.

Im curious, I had my surgery on the first and once doc clears me, I will be starting the second stage of eating, so what Im wondering is what kind of cream soups do you eat? and when u eat mashed potatoes how do you make them? because I used to make them with milk and butter, so do I need to improvise or just make them more runny? I too havent had any problems and am very scared to make my pouch mad. :eek:

Im curious, I had my surgery on the first and once doc clears me, I will be starting the second stage of eating, so what Im wondering is what kind of cream soups do you eat? and when u eat mashed potatoes how do you make them? because I used to make them with milk and butter, so do I need to improvise or just make them more runny? I too havent had any problems and am very scared to make my pouch mad. :eek:

Boil some taters but instead of milk amd butter use Chicken Stock from a can! and then spray your serving with the butter spray!

Boil some taters but instead of milk amd butter use Chicken Stock from a can! and then spray your serving with the butter spray!

Any particular canned chicken stock that folks find tastes good? I tried two so far, but they both tasted kinda salty and awful. What works?

my absolute salvation on this account (chicken broth blahs) was to buy cans of chicken soup I liked and to strain it. It's expensive - I froze the "rest" for the next phase but never ate it... still it tasted so much better than just plain broth.

Also, if you have a grocery store or salad bar that serves soup, you can ladle up just the broth - a little more cost-conscious. I found one place that serves soup would make me up a bowl minus the chicken, veggies and noodles.

I just used Swanson broth. I know they have a low sodium version if the salt is too much for ya. I kinda liked my beans to have a lil more salt content anyway so it works for me but experiement. If money is not an issue the more expensive boxed stocks are really good.

I just make the instant mashed with FF Milk (I use over the moon, it has 10 g of protein per cup) and whipped margarine. My kids can't tell the difference and we can only have a small amount. My pouch handled them just fine.