Paula08

How are the Sept. Staplers Doing?

Hello my fellow Sept. Staplers,

I just wanted to start a place where we could share are experiences with surgery and recovery.

I had my Lap RNY surgery on Sept. 8 and I experienced only a few days of not feeling very well after surgery. About four days to be exact. After the fifth day I was feeling very well and each day has gotten better. Now, I am at my second week out and I can go to the gym and do nearly everything i did before. I do tire a bit faster but it is getting less and less. I have a very happy pouch and liquid is not a problem.

How are you doing?

September 15th for me! Only sore at times on my left side usually when getting up or down or out of bed. It gets better every day so far. I have not had any problems yet with my liquids. Trying to be compliant as possible with doc's diet...have lost 13 lbs since surgery!

Glad you are both doing well!! September 5th for me. Still tire pretty easily, but feel really well otherwise. Tolerating everything I've tried so far except pureed turkey, fish, and split pea soup. They caused me a lot of pain in my back and chest, but thankfully no vomitting or #2's. Hope everyone is able to continue on a very happy path to being big losers!!!

good to hear ya doing well and everyone else,

My lap band surgery on Friday:eek:

Im really nervous and excited, and I wish all my Sept buddies loads n loads of luck and a speedy recovery .

Sas xxx

Hi. Im doing ok. I had my surgery 9/15. I vomitied blood for 2 days then had rectal bleeding for 3 days. I didn't have to get blood, so I guess Im ok. Didn't know that would happen. I guess that was the scariest thing about the surgery. I was afraid I was going to bleed out and die. I got home Friday. Everyday does seem to be a bit better. Im really having trouble sleeping. I sleep for about 2 hours then Im awake with a headache. I long for a full nights sleep. I've really not had pain per say. Mostly just feel tired. I haven't weighed yet.....honest, I hadn't.....I go to the doctor Thursday. Im trying to wait until then to see what I weigh. I do hope everyone else is doing well.

Hey Lisa,

Glad to hear your home and doing ok. Don't pain meds help you sleep? I only use mine before bed because they knock me out.

Flip

I am doing good as well...still have some abdominal pain and will feel a sting if I get up to fast, other than that things are on the mend. I too have a BIG problem with sleeping. I am a stomach sleeper so needless to say I am having a lot of trouble getting to sleep. I might sleep 2-3 hours a night and am tossing and turning the other 6 hours. I tried taking the pain meds before bed and that worked for a while, but doesn't seem to help any more. So I guess I am on my own until I have healed well enough to resume sleeping on my tummy.

Hi--My surgery was 9/8--had complications so in my estimate I am about a week behind where I should be. I started pureed/soft foods yesterday--I have been on liquids and protein drinks since 8/25 so it was pure heaven! I still have to supplement with protein drinks but I had 2 oz of haddock last night, 2 oz. of french onion soup for lunch with asiago cheese and a scrambled egg for breakfast. Otherwise my incisions are healing and last night I slept pretty good. I also have not been sleeping since I had the surgery but it is now getting better!

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well--I can't go back to the gym until after my 6 week visit with the surgeon but I do some walking and plan on picking it up a little more every day. I am going back to work on Monday so life should get back to normal then!

Hi everyone, I had my surgery on Sept 19th. I had soreness for about 3 days & today feel pretty good. I'm still on liquids, but I might try some yogurt tomorrow. I don't feel tied & have no trouble sleeping, only took a nap the day after I got home. I'm just very thankful I feel so good. I see my surgeon on Monday..we'll see if I lost anything.

Jan:)

I love hearing from all of you. It sounds like everyone is doing very well after WLS.

Lisa- I never heard of anyone having blood coming out both ends after surgery. Did you have a drain after surgery?

I dont know about the rest of you but I am learning to puree everything! I also have to watch the clock every time I eat so that I dont try to drink right after. This is a big issue for me since I usually drink a lot of water all day long.

I had lap RNY on 9-9-08. I was in surgery for 4 and 1/2 hours. my Dr had me on liquids for 2 weeks after so I just started pureed on Tues. heaven. you can only take so much sf jello before you snap !! the only problems I am having are getting in enouph liquid and protein every day. working on it and doing better every day. now the one not so sure problem is I have not had a bm in awhile. I had one small one followed one hour later by 1x diarreah( small amount) about a week out and nothing since. I keep hoping since I am having more food that my body will realize it now has something to void.

Edited by isabel41206
spelling

well thats me ... my surgery is tomorrow:eek:

good luck and wishing u my sept buddies a speedy recovery !

tc

Sas x

Hey there,

I had my surgery on 9/04. Only a few day being uncomfortable, no real pain. Back to work and eating soft foods. So far everything has agreed with my new pouch. I've lost 16 lbs so far, but the scale has been at the same number for about 5 days...waiting for it to move any moment now.

Patti

Well my surgery was on the 17th also. Feeling much better each day, but am also having a problem sleeping. I just came off of an overnight line before surgery and will be returning to a new day position in the 15th. Had my 1 week follow up today and recommended a sleeping aide and to begin pureed foods. Also down 19 lbs but not sure how to change it on my avitar thingee. Any suggestions?

I saw the doctor today. Drain removed....Thank goodness....The doctor said I most likely had the bleeding from a loose suture. They give me Lovenox after surgery, which is a blood thinner, I didn't know they would do that either. I understand the risk of a clot but they had to turn right around and start a IV drip that would thicken my blood back up. Im glad it worked. I REALLY am doing better today. Not quite as tired. I slept 4 hours in bed last night on a couch cushion to elevate my head. When I woke up I went and got in a recliner and dosed off and on. I hoping that the drainage tube was pressing on my diaphram and causing the the shortness of breath and trouble sleeping. I tell you one thing.....having that tube removed today. OMG.....That was painfull but it only lasted a few seconds.

Last But Not Least.........Im a LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lost 13 pounds in 10 days.... :)

Lisa,

Good to hear from you again...It's good to hear that things are progressing for you.

Flip:)

My hubby had his surgery on 9/11 and was doing good in the hospital and when we got hom a day or so after he started to have nausea and wanting to throw up well we all know we do not throw anything up so that caused adominal pain so he was bad and then good we have been to urgent care twice for nausea meds and fluid cause he was dehydrated came home he was good and good the next morning and then the following day it hit him again nausea, vomiting and pain it all progressively got worse we ended up at the urgent care again fluids and nausea meds and a cat scan ....cat scan showed nothing so we went home sunday he was good and then Monday he was sick again same symptoms he called docs and spoke to them kept taking the nausea meds he was prescribed in the urgent care not working had his Wednesday follow up appt moved to Wednesday because of all that was going on we went in spoke to the doc doc prescribed him a different nausea med and we went home he was good that day woke up he was good tried to go to work and came home because of the same symptoms hit him again so the doc said if the symptoms persist call him and he will admit him to the hospital for further testing well my poor hubby is just in his second week as of today and has lost a total of 27 lbs. he can not even eat clear broth without feeling nausous he can only drink water and take in a little jello so needless to say his surgeon checked him into the hospital this afternoon to do more testing and see what is causing all this junk....I wish I could have stayed the night with him like I did during his surgery but my in laws wont get here until tomorrow from Arizona and in the meantime I have to stay at home with our 4 1/2 month old son, so my hubby is all alone and keeps calling me telling me he misses me my son and I will be there first thing in the AM. Please put some prayers out there for our higher power to watch over my Hubby Dave to give the knowledge to the doctors to resolve his pain and nausea issues so he can continue to loose weight and be healthy. Thank you so much in advance for your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for starting this thread this helped me get this out and if anyone else has felt this way please let me know what it turned out to be so maybe I can mention it and put the thought in the docs head to maybe to another test.

My hubby had his surgery on 9/11 and was doing good in the hospital and when we got hom a day or so after he started to have nausea and wanting to throw up well we all know we do not throw anything up so that caused adominal pain so he was bad and then good we have been to urgent care twice for nausea meds and fluid cause he was dehydrated came home he was good and good the next morning and then the following day it hit him again nausea, vomiting and pain it all progressively got worse we ended up at the urgent care again fluids and nausea meds and a cat scan ....cat scan showed nothing so we went home sunday he was good and then Monday he was sick again same symptoms he called docs and spoke to them kept taking the nausea meds he was prescribed in the urgent care not working had his Wednesday follow up appt moved to Wednesday because of all that was going on we went in spoke to the doc doc prescribed him a different nausea med and we went home he was good that day woke up he was good tried to go to work and came home because of the same symptoms hit him again so the doc said if the symptoms persist call him and he will admit him to the hospital for further testing well my poor hubby is just in his second week as of today and has lost a total of 27 lbs. he can not even eat clear broth without feeling nausous he can only drink water and take in a little jello so needless to say his surgeon checked him into the hospital this afternoon to do more testing and see what is causing all this junk....I wish I could have stayed the night with him like I did during his surgery but my in laws wont get here until tomorrow from Arizona and in the meantime I have to stay at home with our 4 1/2 month old son, so my hubby is all alone and keeps calling me telling me he misses me my son and I will be there first thing in the AM. Please put some prayers out there for our higher power to watch over my Hubby Dave to give the knowledge to the doctors to resolve his pain and nausea issues so he can continue to loose weight and be healthy. Thank you so much in advance for your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for starting this thread this helped me get this out and if anyone else has felt this way please let me know what it turned out to be so maybe I can mention it and put the thought in the docs head to maybe to another test.

Hey, not sure if the east coasters will catch your post, so I just wanted to say I am so sorry for the trouble you all are going through. I hope they figure everything out for your husband soon and he gets to see his baby boy.

Take care of youself and keep us posted!!!

I had my lap RNY on sept. 17th. It went really well, three and a half days in the hospital. I can drink fluids really well, no dumping or vomiting, but I am having trouble eating enough, my desire for food is completely gone and I haven't experienced hunger since my surgery. I feel pretty good, but I can't wait until the 30th when I get my staples out!!!!:)

First off, Felicia I hope your husband is doing better and they find what is causing his problems.

Congrats to all my fellow September Staplers!! Tomorrow is my big day!!!!

Had surgery on the 16 and I am doing pretty good. I tolerate everything I have tried so far.... (meaning creamy soups, apple sauce, plain yogourt)

Tomorrow I am going in to get my staples out and if everything is okay, I should graduate so soft food! :eek: I can't wait!!!

Hi everyone! I had my lap RNY on Sept. 2nd....feeling terrific! It will one month on Tuesday! I have lost 24 pounds, walking 35 minutes a day on the treadmill, doing all the housework and taking care of a 3 year old and 7 month old all day for about 2 weeks now. I am even baking! If I can't eat it I like to see other's eat it! Does that make any sense? My pouch tolerates just about everything I've tried, cottage cheese, refried beans, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce with meat and my new favorite snack - Wasabi Edamame's! I am also eating soy nuts! Sometimes I have a little pain when eating....I need to slow down and chew better I guess, drinking about 70 ounces of water per day. Getting most of my protein in everyday, I aim for 60-70 grams...if I fall short I have a small protein drink at the end of the day for another 22 grams. All in all I am very happy with my decision, I KNOW it will lead to a healthier me. There are times though I admit that I long for my old foods and snacks...my cravings are still kind of there and all food still tastes really good to me!

Good luck to my fellow September staplers!

God Bless -

Carolyn

New here, just found this site for the first time today.

Had Lap RNY Sep 22 in Boston, got home Thursday, mostly doing ok. Maybe I'm just a bit nervous about the whole thing but I can't say I'm really feeling great. For one, have had very, um, unsettled lower GI behavior...and have been cautioned by the doc to load up on electrolytes. Well, no vomiting or anything at least so far...problem is rather in the other direction. So I've been drinking unflavored pedialyte mixed with Fruit2o, have been staying hydrated, and yesterday got down a few 4oz containers of yogurt...today added a protein shake made with about 4oz of Pedialyte.

Stomach's been gurgling and bubbling and glugging, was tested for infections but they were negative...so I guess the guts are just getting themselves organized. Have been doing as much walking as I can stand, Gasx strips, and being very conservative with the liquid diet...but 7 days out things still feel sorta miserable.

Have pretty much no appetite at all, and I guess the most surprising thing so far is that I feel like I'm having trouble figuring out the pouch...when is it full? when is it "full"? So far I feel like I can't quite tell where it is, what it wants, and what it doesn't want yet. Does that come later?

Anyway, learned a few things on this site (e.g., tried a cup of mint tea tonight), and am pleased to meet folks who are doing the same this month. Cheers and Hello.

Hi there and congrats on your surgery! I too had that the first week or two....but it subsided in a few days...and my tummy made tons of noises too, not sooo many now that I'm almost a month out. You don't start getting that FULL feeling right away, your pouch is still kind of numb - just take it easy and you will soon be feeling better!

Hugs, Carolyn