bridgetgirl

SEVERE leg cramps!!!

Oh my gosh! i have been having the worse leg cramps off and on since surgery and it feels like its only getting worse! I have alot of cramping and spastic movements at night. Are any of you experiencing the same things? Any idea how to help alleviate it?

Here is what vits I take RELIGIOUSLY:

B 12

B 50

Prenatal Muti vitamin

Beta Carotene

and Biotin

Im not so good about taking Iron and Calcium religously, more occasional than anything. I fee as though I get good doses from the prenatal and my levels are great on lab tests.

Any input and suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

In August I have an appointment with a nuerologist regarding the numbness in my legs. I am trying to rule our MS vs. Nerve damage secondary to malnutrition. I will keep you posted.

I have the same problem. when I went for my first post-op appt. the doc asked if I was having leg cramps and I said yes. He told me thta it was caused from low potassium and to drink a 1/2 cup of orange juice mixed with a 1/2 cup of water once a day every other day. It has really helped me out. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. You keep us up to date on what the doc says. Take care!

Amber :)

Oh my gosh! i have been having the worse leg cramps off and on since surgery and it feels like its only getting worse! I have alot of cramping and spastic movements at night. Are any of you experiencing the same things? Any odea how to help alleviate it?

Here is what vits I take RELIGIOUSLY:

B 12

B 50

Prenatal Muti vitamin

Beta Carotene

and Biotin

Im not so good about taking Iron and Calcium religously, more occasional than anything. I fee as though I get good doses from the prenatal and my levels are great on lab tests.

Any input and suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

In August I have an appointment with a nuerologist regarding the numbness in my legs. I am trying to rule our MS vs. Nerve damage secondary to malnutrition. I will keep you posted.

Bridget,

Do a Dara and eat bananas! Potassium levels being low can cause leg cramps.

Eat a banana. I get these too at night - in my feet. It's very painful. I do notice, if I eat a banana every other day, it seems to keep the cramps at bay.

Good Luck Gidget!

Ditto on the banana, it is a great source of instant potassium. Hope you are feeling better soon, those calf muscle cramps are a bear.

I get them too. I don't like bananas that well, so I have to force myself to eat them 3 or 4 times a week. I also added potassium pills to my daily regimen.

Oh I've been there and how I hate leg cramps. They were so bad they would wake me from a sound sleep. You need two things Potassium and stretching exercises for the legs. That's how I solved mine.

Muscle Cramps

What Are Muscle Cramps? A cramp is an involuntary and forcibly contracted muscle that does not relax. Cramps can affect any muscle under your voluntary control (skeletal muscle). Muscles that span two joints are most prone to cramping. Cramps can involve part or all of a muscle, or several muscles in a group. The most commonly affected muscle groups are:

* Back of lower leg/calf (gastrocnemius).

* Back of thigh (hamstrings).

* Front of thigh (quadriceps).

* Cramps in the feet, hands, arms, abdomen and along the rib cage are also very common.

Muscle cramps range in intensity from a slight tic to agonizing pain. A cramping muscle may feel hard to the touch and/or appear visibly distorted or twitch beneath the skin. A cramp can last a few seconds to 15 minutes or longer. It might recur multiple times before it goes away.

Cause of Muscle Cramps Although the exact cause of muscle cramps is unknown, some researchers believe inadequate stretching and muscle fatigue leads to abnormalities in mechanisms that control muscle contraction. Other factors may also be involved, including exercising or working in intense heat, dehydration and depletion of salt and minerals (electrolytes).

When your body is poorly conditioned you are more likely to experience muscle fatigue, which can alter spinal neural reflex activity. Overexertion depletes a muscle

Thanks buddies! I appreciate the input! Im heading down to the pharmacy now for potassium supplements and then to the hospital next door to the cafeteria for a bannana!

When I coached football we had our kids eat 3 bananas the day before and day of the game (1 before bed, at breakfast and at lunch) and make sure they were properly hydrated. I suspect in your case it probably is a bit of both, but alas I am no expert. You are on the right track with the suppliment and banana's. I eat three to 4 a week, I need to with the amount of exercise that I do.

Actually, bananas are low on the list of containing potassium.

Here's a link to a site that lists a variety of potassium sources

http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data5b.html

just wated to add that a lack of calcium will also cause cramping. What is your potassium level? What is your calcium level?

Well went to the pharmacy and talked to the pharmacist, she told me she doesnt sell potassium supplements because the amount of the supplement is what you can get from eating just one bananna.. go figure. So yestreday I ate 2 lil banannas and last night I didnt have bad cramping but definitely some spasms. This morning I had 2 more lil banannas and orange juice for breakfast. The pharmacist told me that low calcium can induce it I can try a Magnesium supplement. I dont know what my levels are currently, but I will be making an appointment and getting some labs done shortly.

Thanks again, for all your advice I apppreciate it mucho!

At this point I have no idea what is causing the cramping... last night was HORRIBLE again... no sleep, too much pain..... man Im at a loss.

Hi,

I get them too. Bad enough that I want to go to the E.R. I went to see a doctor and they told me to keep hydrated. The times I get them, is if I'm doing yard work or something like that and forget to drink my fluids.

Dramaqueen

Hi,

I get them too. Bad enough that I want to go to the E.R. I went to see a doctor and they told me to keep hydrated. The times I get them, is if I'm doing yard work or something like that and forget to drink my fluids.

Dramaqueen

So Im not alone. Okay I am going to make a concntrated effort to drink more water, Propel, Crystal Light, whatever..... last night I just wanted to cry.. it really stinks. I got a leg cramp the other day SO bad in my left calf that now its is strained and tender to the touch..... it totally stinks! I wonder if its a WLS thing or just a coincidence..... what cha think?

Bridget,

Darling, I hate to tell you this. I drink 3 of the 23.7 oz bottles of Propel a day, every day since last Thursday. I am eating bananas, I am taking magnesium with my calcium, I am adding potassium and last night was so bad I was nearly in tears too. The only thing that seems to help them usually is to soak in a tub of really hot water, but last night that didn't even help. I have to see Dr C or Kelly today and I am gonna ask about this. I need my sleep!

Thanks Tricia, i can wait to hear back from your visit to see if Kel or Dr C have any input. I really am one hurting unit as well.

I started eating dried apricots yesterday too. 5 apricots have 550mg of Potassium. I will look for your update sistergirl! Love your lil face!

Hello All,

Sorry to hear of your night leg cramps. I have had them in my feet. I found that there could be a combination of elements causing the cramps including low potassium or calcium or magnesium; not enought exercise; dehydration and poor footwear... shoes that are breaking down. I got to the point where I would have to stand up to work out the cramp and could almost do that in my sleep! I've only experienced cramps twice since my surgery (3/16/05), right in the ball of my foot!

The next day, I wore different shoes and pushed the water.

BTW, I'm almost three months out and have been "lurking" on this forum since before my surgery. There is such a font of information coming from you all and loads of concern and care. Thanks from all of us who lurk and don't post much.

Charlotte

Hope your cramps subside.

Thanks Charolette, I appreciate it! Thanks for posting, I appreciate that ALOT! Push the water... push the water.

Welcome to the best place on Earth! Congratulations on your surgery! Thanks for comming out of the dark and into the light! We're glad that you're here!

Okay,

I asked Kelly about the leg cramps. If it is a stapler thing, she sure didn't know about it. Possibility of low levels, she is gonna have my potassium checked. Could also be stress and then there is some other thing, don't think it is a disease, but it is caused by foot movements in your sleep I think. That is not the cause of mine, cause I get them after getting into bed, not while sleeping.

The shoes might be it. I need an excuse to go shoe shopping and Famous Footwear is having a sale this weekend. It I buy shoes and the leg cramps go away can I claim them as a medical treatment on my taxes next year??