Under two months...and already at a Plato....

Hi All,

I had the Gastric Bypass on June 26 and it's been three weeks since I have lost any weight. Monday it will be the start of the fourth week. I am so bummed. Am I doing something wrong??? My body is not rejecting any foods and I am not eating anything I shouldn't be...(I don't think...:P) I am just so fusterated....

Has anyone gone through a Plato so early on??? I really need to hear that someone has gone through this and this will pass....

Thanks for the readings....

I am 4 weeks out and have been on a 2 week plateau. I lost 1 pound in 2 weeks. Eating very little. People assure me this is common. Have heard after losing 10% of your body weight, your body will plateau. Have also been told to take measurrements, as your body is shifting and you're losing inches, which I did find was true. Instead of 55-53-58, I'm now 53-53-53 ;) Then I have talked to others who think such an early and long lasting plateau is something to be concerned about. I met a lady at my support group last night who had experienced the exact same thing as I me, so I believe this is common. I think if I step up the exercise, it would help jump start me.

I am 4 weeks out and have been on a 2 week plateau. I lost 1 pound in 2 weeks. Eating very little. People assure me this is common. Have heard after losing 10% of your body weight, your body will plateau. Have also been told to take measurrements, as your body is shifting and you're losing inches, which I did find was true. Instead of 55-53-58, I'm now 53-53-53 ;) Then I have talked to others who think such an early and long lasting plateau is something to be concerned about. I met a lady at my support group last night who had experienced the exact same thing as I me, so I believe this is common. I think if I step up the exercise, it would help jump start me.

Good point! I haven't measured myself.

Been there done that! I hit stalls all the time. Please check your measurements monthly. I see when I hit a stall it gives my body a chance to catch up. But that doesn't mean its not frustrating none the less. :confused:

Absoloutely!! I hit a plateau for THREE weeks after my op-then I lost ONE lb in the next 2.However my measurement was decreasing quite dramatically and my nutritionist said as long as that was changing it was ok,the fat was re-distributing itself!!!(thats honestly what he said!!)

I am still a slow loser but am doing everything right and sticking to all the rules.However, everyone says that I am looking 10 years younger and not sicky like some people get with a big sudden weight loss.

Dont worry,it HAs to come off at some stage,it just thinks theres a famine so is holding on to it!maybe step up your water and protein and so long as it thinks its getting food it might release some of the lbs!

Same thing happened to me. I lost 24 pounds the first month, 13 the second and I basically lost nothing (1/2 pound maybe) over 9 days and then got fed up. I have no idea if what I'm doing is a good idea, but this is what I'm doing.

I cut way back. A 16 ounce bottle of water when I wake, then an Isopure shake (50 grams protein, 220 calories). Then just water (or maybe a Babybel cheese if I'm really starving) all day until dinner. I now find I can each much less for dinner than I could before. Tonight I am having chicken and cauliflower. Last night I had 2 meatballs and a small amount of rice pilaf (from a Greek restaurant, DH ate the rest for lunch). The night before I had 2 ounces of salmon.

I am supposed to get 60-70 grams protein, so I'm making that. My calories are less than 500 (I was at 700-800 before I did this). It's working, I've lost 4 1/2 pounds in 3 days. I'm going to add back in a small lunch in a few more days.

It's very normal. I hit a plateau once a month. My first was at 3 weeks out. It will happen. Just keep at it and all of a sudden you'll see the weight start to drop again. Just listen to your pouch. Stop when you are satisfied. Don't graze or snack. Get your fluids and your protein in and you'll be fine. When I stall, it doesn't matter what I do, I can't break it. And don't starve yourself to try to break it. That will just make it worse. And when I stall I can still tell I'm losing according to how my clothes are fitting.

Here is my first (or second?) post to TT...

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/emotional-support/22994-frustrated-depressed.html

Now.. if you read the post I made, then look at my sig.. you'll see I made it to century club exactly on my six month anniversary.. plateau's are NORMAL and most of us go through them.. (it seems to me more *women* than men go through them but that could be just what I've noticed and not reality)

Anyway... As Van has said would happen.. I chuckle now when I read that thread :)

Here is my first (or second?) post to TT...

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/emotional-support/22994-frustrated-depressed.html

Now.. if you read the post I made, then look at my sig.. you'll see I made it to century club exactly on my six month anniversary.. plateau's are NORMAL and most of us go through them.. (it seems to me more *women* than men go through them but that could be just what I've noticed and not reality)

Anyway... As Van has said would happen.. I chuckle now when I read that thread :)

LOL The "good" old days! I hope to look back on my stall posts too and chuckle after hitting the century club! :D

• 11 years later...

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting on here but I need some advice.  I had surgery back in October of 2019.  I weighed in at 232 at 5ft 2in.  I had the Gastric Sleeve surgery.  I have since lost 50 pounds which is a celebration in itself but I am stuck.  Any advice on how I can jump start the weight loss again? I thought about doing nothing but protein shakes again for a week or two but if there is something else I can so to jump start it I am willing to do it.  

Thank you in advance =]]

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I would do protein shakes for 2 weeks. Make sure you have a carb counter app and do 3 things; #1 70-90 grams of protein, #2 no more than 50 grams of carbs (total carbs not net) and #3 drink 64 fluid ounces of water or sugar free/diet tea, etc.  Then weigh only once every two weeks for 3 months. Make sure you are following up with your surgical team.