Marella

Flintstones vs. Bariatric Vitamins

I was asked to post this (from another thread) into it's own thread for possible further discussion.

Flintstones vs. Building Blocks Bariatric Chewable Vitamins

Vitamin Comparison Spreadsheet

Sorry for any typo's.. but WOW, it's a drastic difference!

I don't want to start a vitamin war... but I was curious. I'm still going to ask my NUT and Doc about it. I'm just concerned that all WLS'ers get what they need so that the numbers of health problems don't arise because of vitamin intake, or lack thereof. We need to succeed for the others who come after.

For me... I'm already a morbidly obese statistic... I don't want to be another negative one.

Edited by Marella

i have to thank you because it really concerns me when i hear people saying their doc is okay with them taking kids vitamins! it frankly bugs me alot! I dont care that their 1st blood work came back ok because i think that the next few bloodtests will show severe defiencies. Its like the flinstone vitamin folks should be taking like 5 day compared to our 2 a day vitamins i hope this opens someones eyes

I think it might be a better comparison if you doubled the numbers for Flintstones because everyone I know who take them (including myself) has to take two a day. The biggest difference, then, is the B vitamins -- and some minerals such as molybdenum, manganese, chromium, and magnesium. I don't know the actual value of those particular minerals.

I had my 6-week checkup last week and my nutritionist said I could start taking adult vitamins (she didn't mention "bariatric" vitamins at all), but said I could continue with two Flintstones if I preferred.

I'm not overly concerned. If my doctor says so, I will take a B supplement -- but everything else is pretty much in line.

'thann

I saw my NUT today and asked her about Flintstones.

She did a comparison with Centrum and found key certain vitamins lacking in Flintstones which is huge loss for WLS'ers.

What I'd like to know and what I can't find out, is the long-term effects of Flintstone takers vs. other, more potent vitamins, or those designed specially for bariatrics.

I don't remember WLS for Dummies giving name brands (I'm not at home right now so I can't check).

Again, I don't want to be in a vitamin war... but I'd be truly concerned as to this disparagement because, after all, we're bypassed malabsorption. Could a standard vitamin be enough when we're unique in our intake and absorption?

I think it might be a better comparison if you doubled the numbers for Flintstones because everyone I know who take them (including myself) has to take two a day.

The comparison was fair because the vitamin dosage of the Building Blocks is also two a day... I'll make a note of that on the spreadsheet.

Edited by Marella

:eek: My gosh! :eek: I am at a loss for words. I take flintstones because that's what I was told to take, but I will have to tell my doctor! Are the bariatric vitamins chewable? My stomach won't let me take vitamin pills. :( AND! I was told just to take 1/day! That's even half as much.

Thanks Marella,

I've been up and down about this vitamin thing. My doc says Flintstones (boy, they sure taste good...) and I'm going to ask again. I'll print out your comparison chart. Thanks for all that work! I'm a week away from hospital and have just started my mush/liquids and have started taking the Flintstones. I'll continue with it until I can get a good answer. I may just place an order for vitamins before I leave. Along with B12...I have the citrate chewables and will wait to see if I need extra iron. Jeez, what am I forgetting???

BTW Was yesterday your Birthday? If so...hope it was happy.:D I tried to paste a nice birthday cupcake in here, but haven't figured out how to do it.

Birthday: my husbands. I said he can have a piece, my son can have a piece, my dog can have a piece without the frosting, and I'll just look at a piece and have a fugdcicle.

Vitamins: We're told to trust our doctors and do what they recommend to do. My doc told me to trust my NUT because I am her job, and she knows better than he because that's her field... and I liked that response.

Centrum Silver: I'll see what I can find.

I've compared Bariatric Advantage, Building Blocks Multiple, Centrum Silver Chewables and Flintstones...I think Building Blocks Wins out.... comparing what our serving size would be...

I trided to copy the others here, but it just wouldn't work...but this is the highest I've seen of the four.:o

Building Blocks Multiple

Chewable

Supplemental Facts Serving Size: 2 Wafers

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 10 Total carbohydrate 3 g 1%*

Dietary fiber 0 g 1 %* Sugars 0 g

Vitamin A (as retinyl palmitate and 50% from beta carotene) 10,000 IU 200%

Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 150 mg 250%

Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 800 mg 200%

Vitamin E (as dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate) 60 IU 200%

Vitamin K (as phytonadione) 30 mcg 38%

Thiamin (as thiamin mononitrate) 12 mg 800%

Riboflavin 13.6 mg 800%

Niacin (as niacinamide) 40 mg 200%

Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 16 mg 800% Folate (as folic acid) 800 mcg 200%

Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin) 250 mcg 4,167% :)

Biotin 600 mcg 200%

Pantothenic acid (as D-calcium pantothenate) 20 mg 200%

Phosphorus (as magnesium phosphate) 45 mg 5%

Iodine (from kelp) 75 mcg 50%

Magnesium (as magnesium phosphate) 200 mg 50%

Zinc (as zinc amino acid chelate) 15 mg 100%

Selenium (as selenium amino acid chelate) 70 mcg 100%

Copper (as copper amino acid chelate) 2 mg 100%

Manganese (as manganese amino acid chelate) 2 mg 100%

Chromium (as chromium dinicotinate glycinate) 240 mcg 200%

Molybdenum (as molybdenium amino acid chelate) 75 mcg 100%

I know this is a stupid question...but would some docs be concerned about too much of something and therefore suggest Flintstones? (told you it was a dumb question!):eek:

New comparison added:

Flintstones vs. Building Blocks Bariatric Chewable Vitamins vs. Centrum Silver

Be aware that the Centrum Silver dosage is 1 per day, while the others are two per day. Contents are per/tablet. All comparisons are taken from each respective website.

Edited by Marella

Birthday: my husbands. I said he can have a piece, my son can have a piece, my dog can have a piece without the frosting, and I'll just look at a piece and have a fugdcicle.

Vitamins: We're told to trust our doctors and do what they recommend to do. My doc told me to trust my NUT because I am her job, and she knows better than he because that's her field... and I liked that response.

Centrum Silver: I'll see what I can find.

So nice of you to include your dog in a birthday celebration...love those fudgcicles!

I loved the nutritionist I saw when I signed up. She really let the doc know where and when to change things and she did her research (nope, docs can't do it all). But, she has gone on to another job and her replacement knows NOTHING about bariatrics. OMG!

At any rate, I'm ordering Building Blocks today. Are you also taking anti-oxidents? Others from them?

I'm going to print this out and compare it to my Optisource Bariatric Vitamins... since I'm a big advocate of doing the right thing on these, I want to make sure I'm getting the best I can.. thanks for taking this on, Marella..

New comparison added:

Flintstones vs.

Building Blocks Bariatric Chewable Vitamins vs.

Centrum Silver vs.

Bariatric Advantage

(Be aware that the Centrum Silver dosage is 1 per day, while the others are two per day. Contents are per/tablet. All comparisons are taken from each respective website.)

I personally buy Building Blocks... the 90 day supply is much cheaper, and you get FREE shipping.

Edited by Marella

In order to help you all evaluate if your multi-vitamin has what it needs here is the information that I have been able to find in regards to our needs post RNY.

Overview of Vitamin and Mineral Requirements:

Daily Multivitamin/Mineral

100% the RDI (or more) for vitamins A, E, C, D niacin

200% the RDI (or higher) for major B-complex vitamins, particularly folate and thiamin

100% the RDI for minerals, i.e. zinc, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, copper, chromium, potassium, magnesium, others.

Vitamin B12

At least 1200% the RDI for supplements

1000 mcg monthly shots

1000 mcg daily sublingual

Calcium

100% the RDI (or more) Calcium Citrate with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), vitamin D, or magnesium

Iron

Greater than 100% the RDI for fumerate or iron chelated to an amino acid or to citrate

if you doubled the numbers for Flintstones because everyone I know who take them (including myself) has to take two a day
thats still not enough if you look at what GBS patients need. Yes we take 2 of the BB mulitivitamins a day as well.

i would love to see what the long term effects are of the different vitamins and people who take them

I will be one week out tomorrow morning. I have been taking three Flinstone complete vitamins daily since being released from the hospital. I go to the Doc's on Thursday and will be asking for sure if there is a different vitamin I should be taking. Please continue to keep us posted. Thank you for the great info.

New comparison added:

Flintstones vs. Building Blocks Bariatric Chewable Vitamins vs. Centrum Silver

Be aware that the Centrum Silver dosage is 1 per day, while the others are two per day. Contents are per/tablet. All comparisons are taken from each respective website.

Thanks for the updated comparison chart - it's very interesting reading.

I should point out that the normal recommended dose for Centrum's following surgery is 2 a day, not one. The chewable was one of the recommendations at my hospital and at double the dose shown, it does a reasonable job.

I also want to mention too that it isn't usual to be taking the Centrum Silver. That's normally only recommended for post-menopausal women or those who are required to take additional iron supplements.

Are you also taking anti-oxidents? Others from them?

I asked my NUT about anti-oxidents and she left that decision up to me.

The anti-ox'es are an extension of what the Building Blocks already contain, plus Coenzyme Q10 (which I haven't looked up).

Vitamin A (as beta-carotene)................................5,000 IU

Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate)..100 mg

Vitamin E (as d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate)..............100 IU

Selenium (as sodium selenite)...............................100 mcg

Coenzyme Q10 50 mg

So at this time, I'm not going add it.

Hi All,

I was checking the chart out and the folic acid numbers caught my attention. (I guess cause I know how important it is if you plan to have babies in the future and I may or may not fit that category.) At any rate, under the BB vitamins, it says the % of DRA is 20 but I think it should read 200%. Just thought I would point that out.

Thanks!

Amy~

What a beneficial thread! Thanks to everyone who's contributed. This is great information!

-Mike

Hi All,

I was checking the chart out and the folic acid numbers caught my attention. (I guess cause I know how important it is if you plan to have babies in the future and I may or may not fit that category.) At any rate, under the BB vitamins, it says the % of DRA is 20 but I think it should read 200%. Just thought I would point that out.

Thanks!

Amy~

It's been corrected to 200%. icon-basketball.gif

Thank you!

icon-mommandbaby.gifAnd yes, when I was pregnant, Folic Acid was stressed, stressed, and stressed to the utmost.

hey marella sounds like you are a big fan like me of the bbvitamins! i get the 3 month supply for 162 (includes antioxd's) is that what you get? i get the chewable ones. i LOVE them and totally the price rocks