Anyone successfully pregnant after RNY AND infertility?

Sue0609

DH and I married when I was 35 and I got pregnant immediately, I was about 230 lbs then (5'6" or so). I miscarried and DH sort of freaked. Things were really bad for awhile. I gained weight after the miscarriage, and then had an accident that resulted in 3 weeks confined to bed - more weight gain. When we tried getting pregnant again we couldn't (2 years passed). It's been aboutr 3 years of trying again. After every infertility test known to man (done last year, I was 39), they found nothing and basically said it could be my weight. Or my eggs might be a little crispy (my term, not theirs). Additionally, they don't do IVF if your BMI is over 40, so I was stuck. I tried losing weight (lost 15, gained 20, etc.) and decided to do lap-band. Abandoned lap-band when I learned of the high failure rate and switch to RNY, which I had on 6/9.

My surgeon was well aware of my primary motivation to have the surgery. I don't have any co-morbidities. I was very straight forward with this and explained my dilemma. Assuming I need IVF to get pregnant, even after weight loss, I have a very short time frame. They won't do it once you are 42. My "goal" is not to wear a size 4 (not that there's anything wrong with it!), it's to have a baby. My surgeon agreed that she would clear me for infertility treatment when I am 10 months post-op (which would make me 41 years and 2 months old), assuming I've complied with the program and my weight loss has been substantial enough. My surgeon is awesome, btw.

So, that's my story. I am wondering if anyone else on here had their infertility resolve after their weight loss surgery. And I am also wondering about anyone whose infertility didn't resolve after surgery and if you did IVF or anything else. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
:) Just wanted to say good luck to you. Maybe with the weight loss you won't need INF. I never tried to have a baby before WLS, but I went off the pill at the end of Dec, and I got pregnant on Jan 6th. Took me about 10 days to get pregnant. I hope that you can have the same luck.

Thanks everyone. I would love to get pregnant without IVF, but due to my age (I'll be 41 at that point), I'm not betting on it. The eggs really take a beating from age 35 to 40. I'm so happy I have a female surgeon, she is really supportive.

Congratulations on your pregnancies!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone my name is Ruthie...i am in the process of getting the gastric bypass..but my sister has had it, and has gotten pregnant 8 motnhs after her surgery. All her life she thought she could never get prag, 3rd husband later, and post op, she was prag, and we were all so happy, untill the 3rd month we found out she had a miscarriage, it was the most devastating thing for me sister, but she is trying again, and with the help of god this baby will make it this time. so good luck to you on having a baby i know how important it is.

• 2 months later...

I was on fertility treatments for 3 years and had many tests and miscarried 3 times but my body just couldn't stay pregnant. After my gastric bypass when I was far enough post op I was curious to try to get pregnant. Before my dr. could even prescribe the meds I was already pregnant. I am happy to say I am 37 weeks pregnant and expecting a very happy healthy lil boy. If it helped me I'm sure it can help you. If it wasn't for the surgery it never would have happened.

• 2 weeks later...
I was on fertility treatments for 3 years and had many tests and miscarried 3 times but my body just couldn't stay pregnant. After my gastric bypass when I was far enough post op I was curious to try to get pregnant. Before my dr. could even prescribe the meds I was already pregnant. I am happy to say I am 37 weeks pregnant and expecting a very happy healthy lil boy. If it helped me I'm sure it can help you. If it wasn't for the surgery it never would have happened.

How are you feeling? have you had your little man yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Sue0609-

Try not to stress out about it too much. I'm not sure where you live, or what fertility clinic you went to, but there are many out there and many will still work with you on fertility issues after the age of 42. The % of results may not be as high, but miracles do happen.

I find it interesting though that they told you they would not do an IVF with you if you had a BMI of 40 or more. I am 5'4" tall, and at the time we did our IUI's and IVF's I was 200 lbs. and trying to lose weight. DH and I have a son, who at the time, was 8 yrs old. We experienced what they called 'secondary infertility'. All my tests came back fine, but DH's tests came back with low morphology, low mobility, and low counts overall. Fortunately, our health insurance covered everything, but we did 4 IUI's and then 2 IVF's and we got pg on our second IVF with twin boys in Feb. 2006. Our twins were born in Oct 2006. I carried them to 1 day short of 38 wks and delivered by C-section (they were both breech, the little stinkers!) I gained 34 lbs with my pregnancy, and lost it all w/in 2 weeks after delivery. I had just turned 34 yrs old. We had an excellent RE and he was very suppotive, as was his entire staff.

I'm scheduled for gastric bypass on 10/16 and we have 2 frozen embryos that we are hoping to transfer via FET about a year to 18 mos after my surgery.

So, although it may take a little longer, don't give up hope. Try the IVF Connections web site too -- there is a lot of support there from really great ladies.

Keep us posted and good luck!

--Kim

mommy to the A team

Alex, Aaron & Aidan

• 1 year later...

I'm 26, have been married for 6.5 years, and have been TTC for 6 years. No luck. I've got a horrible case of PCOS. (may be TMI, but I've currently been on my AF for 6 weeks....not fun) Pregnancy is the main reason behind my decision to have the bypass. I plan on using BC and condoms for the first 18 months, then trying. Hopefully I'll be able to do it on my own, and not have to go back on Clomid, which made me so sick!! Good luck and Baby Dust to all of you!!:P

• 2 months later...

I had infertility problems before RNY. It took 6 years to concieve my son with clomid and IUI. He was born in April 2005. I also weighed 280 lbs. In Jan 2008 I had my RNY and in Oct 2008 I found out I was pregnant. It just took losing 120lbs to make me fertile mertil. My daughter was born in June 2009 and in November 2009 when my husband came home from Afghanistan it only took a month and bam.... I am currently 31 weeks pregnant. I'm due in Sept.

I don't post alot on here but pretty much everytime I say that having this tool has been the best thing and such a wonderful gift! Without it my family wouldn't have grown the way it has.

Good luck with everything!

I used fertility meds to have all my kids (I have 3 kids, a 4 year old and twin babies). The first time I got pregnant I believe my BMI was 38 and the second time it was 45 (injectibles meds.) I am not sure why your doctor said that they dont do IVF for people with a BMI of over 40...i didnt need it but it was offered to me.

I also have pretty bad PCOS. I am nervous at the moment because my doctor made me go off the pill after my surgery on the 12th and said i can restart it when i get my next period...well gee, when will that be?

I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if i just dont tell my husband and go off the pill in a year or so (after I have lost a lot more weight) and see if i get pregnant or not, BUT i usually gain weight when i go off the pill and my PCOS symptoms get worse.

I am going to start trying for a baby next month:D I had to go on clomid to get pregnant before surgery due to my progesterone levels. I'm hoping I won't have to go back on it now that I've lost over 100 lbs. I'm almost 2 years out. I'm seeing the Dr. Aug. 4th about it all. Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, once I decided to not try for a baby and to put it off for 2 more years, I was surprised to find out that I'm pregnant! So, yes, after having fertility issues, you can get pregnant after weight loss surgery! My progesterone was too low before, but I guess the weight loss put everything in place! I'm not saying it will be that easy for everyone, but there is hope!

• 11 years later...

Sorry for chiming in to the thread so late, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Yoga can totally help you lose weight for IVF if that's your goal.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way, that's for sure!

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked flawlessly for me.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results. Good luck! :)

Mandy