sherry7

My Fage yogurt is expiring! Can I freeze it?

All of us Fage lovers know how darned expensive it it, right? I have 6 small containers of it in my fridge, with a use-by date of tomorrow. (Yes, I over bought!)

The hubby and son detest the stuff, so I can't feed it to my human garbage disposal team. :rolleyes: I hate to toss it out, but I can only eat 1/3 of a small container at a sitting. Is this stuff freezable? I assume it would probably change the texture, but I could always use it in recipes.

Thoughts please?

what have you got to lose?

;)

HA HA it just occurred to me what a silly question that is on this forum!

(let us know if it works!)

Well, that's settled. I'm going to freeze it and murder the little bacteria cultures. :P

Sherry I just googled that question and this is what Stonyfield yogurt makers say--

Does freezing yogurt destroy or alter the effectiveness of the live cultures?

You can freeze a cup of yogurt. A cup of yogurt that has been frozen and thawed will have a different look and texture than fresh yogurt. The cultures become dormant when frozen, but once thawed either in the refrigerator or by your body heat when ingested; they will become live and active once again. There will be a few cultures that do die, but there are so many billions in our products, that it is truly insignificant.

cheryl

Here in Alaska I haven't found the Fage yogurt but in my travels this last month I had some and loved them. Reminded me of Greece, only there I had honey with it every am. Wish I had some here.

cheryl

Sherry I just googled that question and this is what Stonyfield yogurt makers say--

Does freezing yogurt destroy or alter the effectiveness of the live cultures?

You can freeze a cup of yogurt. A cup of yogurt that has been frozen and thawed will have a different look and texture than fresh yogurt. The cultures become dormant when frozen, but once thawed either in the refrigerator or by your body heat when ingested; they will become live and active once again. There will be a few cultures that do die, but there are so many billions in our products, that it is truly insignificant.

cheryl

Thanks for that excellent info. I'm going to pop all of it in the freezer right now, and I'll just use it for recipes or smoothies as I thaw it.

I can't find FAGE in my store... what section is it found? With other yogurt?

katie

It's not the easiest thing to find Katie. If you go to their website, you can email them and they'll reply and tell you what stores in your area have it.

If you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joes, they'll definitely have it there. Health food stores usually tend to have it too. The Giant Eagle's near me carry it, but it's in the organic section of the store. At most places, it's right by the regular yogurt.

Oh, and Trader Joes also has their own store brand of greek yogurt...it's a bit less expensive.

Here in Alaska I haven't found the Fage yogurt but in my travels this last month I had some and loved them. Reminded me of Greece, only there I had honey with it every am. Wish I had some here.

cheryl

I tried the Fage with honey one time, and OMG, it was so delicious! But why can't scientists develop a bee that makes sugar free, low cal honey? ;)

HA! I saw this being read by a lurker and thought I'd pop it back up to the top.

My local grocery story had some that had an expiration date of THAT day. 10 of them to be exact. With .75 cent off coupons.... so I bought all 10 of them for 1.20. Woo hoo.

I often eat 2 a day and honestly.. that day isn't some magical date where Friday they are good and Saturday they are bad..

I've had my Fage up to a week past the date with NO issue at all. Sometimes there is a bit more liquid up at the top but I just dump it all into my bowl and stir it up without any problems at all!

No need to dump the Fage!

HA! I saw this being read by a lurker and thought I'd pop it back up to the top.

You crack me up!!

You crack me up!!

Kelly calls me a Fage Pusher LOL. :) Could be worse, yes? lol..

If I like something strong enough, it'll get my firm endorsement. (I used to be a door to door sales woman and I was very good at it! I'm told it's because, if I believe it in, I can sell it :) Too bad with the internet, no one needs door to door sales anymore, LOL)

off to get my Fage for the night :)

Kelly calls me a Fage Pusher LOL. :) Could be worse, yes? lol..

If I like something strong enough, it'll get my firm endorsement. (I used to be a door to door sales woman and I was very good at it! I'm told it's because, if I believe it in, I can sell it :) Too bad with the internet, no one needs door to door sales anymore, LOL)

off to get my Fage for the night :)

You could make a killing of selling drugs!! :D Actually, I'm grateful for your "fage pushing". I might never have tried it if it was just mentioned in passing here and there, but since you talk so highly of it, we just have to try it! I actually ran out and they didn't have it at the store where my daughter works, so I didn't have any for several days and missed it!! I, of course, thought of you the whole time!!!

Ok, since we are talking about Fage....I have a question. I got the big jug (35 oz) since it was way cheaper. It has about 8 servings for me - maybe more. My question is: once I open the container, how long will the yogurt last?

I normally eat it at work (I have a jug at work and one at home) so I'm worried the one I have at home will go bad since I might not eat it quickly.

Thanks!

katie

Natural Foods or Organic Foods section...mmmm....good stuff! I think Kelly "got me hooked"...she's a Fage Pusher, you know?

All of us Fage lovers know how darned expensive it it, right? I have 6 small containers of it in my fridge, with a use-by date of tomorrow. (Yes, I over bought!)

I buy at least 3-4 large containers each week (I limit myself...) so I have NEVER even come close to the expiration date...do they really have that listed...Just kidding!

Ok, since we are talking about Fage....I have a question. I got the big jug (35 oz) since it was way cheaper. It has about 8 servings for me - maybe more. My question is: once I open the container, how long will the yogurt last?

I normally eat it at work (I have a jug at work and one at home) so I'm worried the one I have at home will go bad since I might not eat it quickly.

Thanks!

I have no ideas on this one.. maybe email the company and ask customer service? I only buy the 7 oz containers.. my store they are actually cheaper than the larger ones, for some reason.. so I never have that issue. Good luck!

I have no ideas on this one.. maybe email the company and ask customer service? I only buy the 7 oz containers.. my store they are actually cheaper than the larger ones, for some reason.. so I never have that issue. Good luck!

I was thinking to myself after I posted that maybe you guys eat it up too quickly and this is never an issue!!

My big container came out to almost half the price - I couldn't pass it up!

I will try to write to them or just open it and see how long it lasts!!

Thanks!

I was thinking to myself after I posted that maybe you guys eat it up too quickly and this is never an issue!!

My big container came out to almost half the price - I couldn't pass it up!

I will try to write to them or just open it and see how long it lasts!!

Thanks!

wow.. my price per unit measure was less for the smaller container.. I would so buy the bigger containers if it were cheaper, but no.. I eat two a day, usually, LOL...

I was delighted to find Fage 0% at Costco the other day - around $6.00 for a big container - 32 oz., I think. What a deal! I only bought one container because I was afraid it would spoil before I could finish it, but I had a cup of it with Splenda for breakfast (even without fruit or Kashi or anything else, it was quite tasty) so I guess at that rate I could have gotten a couple and finished them in a week - plenty of time! I will keep buying Fage at Costco, if they keep stocking it! :D

katie

Hey Katie! Being from a place that doesn't have Costco, Trader Joes, or any other cool stores like that... I just wanted to let you know that I got some at Super Target!! ;o)

It's funny that this old thread got bumped up. :)

I did freeze the Fage yogurt in question (last year), and promptly forgot about it! I found it in the back of my freezer about a month ago, and tossed it out.

Tossing it out felt a little like sacrilege. I'm still waiting for the Wrath of Kel to come down upon me. :eek:

I have eaten Fage that was more than a month past the date with no problems at all. A coworker couldn’t believe I would do that and called Fage. And while they could only say they recommend I go by that date, and I would not suggest anyone wait that long past the date, I just know that I have never gotten sick from it and my own opinion is that those “best by” dates are exactly that. As someone else said on here, it doesn’t mean good today, bad tomorrow. 

14 hours ago, Sbandro said:

I have eaten Fage that was more than a month past the date with no problems at all. A coworker couldn’t believe I would do that and called Fage. And while they could only say they recommend I go by that date, and I would not suggest anyone wait that long past the date, I just know that I have never gotten sick from it and my own opinion is that those “best by” dates are exactly that. As someone else said on here, it doesn’t mean good today, bad tomorrow. 

Yes, must concur with @Sbandro - a lot of the "best by" dates have to do with "when we think it still tastes great (or best, or whatever) but not when it is microbiologically safe. Fermented food products (yogurt, kimchi, some kinds of sauerkraut, etc) can be particularly long-lived.

This is true for many medications as well; pharmacies almost always put a discard date on a prescription that is one year after the date the medication is filled. Studies have been done showing that most, not all, of the tested medications are so stable they should be able to do fine in your medicine counter after 12 months. I am NOT recommending that people take "expired" medications but just noting that many meds are stable for at least 3-5 years. 

Having said that, it's a good policy to go through your meds and get rid of things you are not taking or using, especially if there are children who might get into things. I was surprised (well, shocked actually) to find that I had some meds that went back to some knee surgery I had about 15 years ago in the back of a medicine cupboard - thought they had been cleared out a long time ago. :eek: