Questions?

lala46205

Ok So I Have A Few Questions...i Am Going To Pureed Foods Next Week And Even Though Before I Didnt Think I Would Be Im Extatic! Does Anyone Know Any Good Pureed Foods..or Good Ways To Puree Them..i Was Also Told I Dont Really Have To Puree Eggs As Long As I Chew Well? Second Question..i Have Been Trying To Walk As Much As Possible But I Have To Tag Along A 2 1/2 Year Old...i Tried Putting Her On Her Bike And Having Her Walk But Obviously She Just Cant Walk Or Ride As Far As I Want To..she Is To Big For A Stroller..tall Girl...does Anyone Have Any Suggestions??? Wish I Had $$ For A Treadmill But Not Yet....thx!;)

I have been able to eat eggs without a problem. I usually choose softer foods and chew well. My doc told me that was fine. I also eat a lot of yogurt.

Suggestion for the 2 year old - play simon says. While she is walking with you have her do different things - march, swing her arms, jump, or whatever she is able to do. It will make it much funner for both of you.

o i remember my other question..does anyone have any idea how to get that tape adhesive crap off of your stomach? i have been scrubbing it non stop and the only thing coming off is my skin and not the adhesive..thx

For the eggs, they may do fine, but if not, the egg beaters are even easier. They're not as stiff. And for mushy, I ate alot of cottage cheese.

For walking, do you have a yard? You could do laps while she plays. Or take her to the park and do laps around the play area while you watch her play. Just a thought.

Get yourself a stick blender and you can puree some 'low fat' chunky soups. Even puree tuna fish or chicken salad.

A stick blender can even make your protein shake even thicker if you use a thin cup and start mixing from the bottom up - but it depends on what's in it, otherwise, it'll have the consistency of Cool Whip.

I don't use the stick blender much right now, because just recently, the soups I enjoyed before make me gag now.

a lot of people have told me that you dont have to really puree stuff that you can much it and chew real good???is that so?? anyone else know any good pureed foods??im dieing for eggs and low fat cheese..i hope my stomach tolerates it..

Go on the advice of your doc or NUT. I was told strictly puree, baby food consistency. Yes, I cheated with food I had to chew well then swallow, but it wasn't enough for me. After a few bites, the food was stuck and that stuck feeling does not feel good one bit. Those are my cues to go the extra step to puree. I'm at 7 weeks post-op, you're at 2. Don't rush the intake, be careful, you're still healing inside.

Although you may not have that difficulty, I did. I'm told that those kinds of foods have to be introduced slowly.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks out, and still in the "mushy" stage. Here are a few of my favorites:

1/4 cup of FF refried beans, 1 T mild salsa. Nuke until hot, and then add 1/8 cup of shredded LF cheddar and nuke again for a few seconds until the cheese melts. Stir altogether and enjoy.

Spread 1/4 cup of LF ricotta cheese in a small flat bowl. Top with 1 T of a low sugar spaghetti sauce of low sugar pizza sauce (just check the label). Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of parmesan cheese on top. Nuke for 30 seconds or so. You can also add a bit of LF mozzarella cheese if you like.

FF or LF cottage cheese, small curd. Chew this a lot, unless you puree it first. I'm allowed canned fruit (the kind without added sugar) with it. But, I prefer it plain.

Tilapia fish is fairly soft after cooking. I take a 1/2 of a fillet (2 oz), and pan fry it (no oil) in a non-stick skillet for about 2-3 minutes per side. Before putting it in the skillet, I spray it lightly with fake butter spray, and sprinkle it with garlic powder. Before removing from the skillet, I repeat the butter spray and the garlic powder. Right after I remove it and put it on a saucer, I sprinkle it with 1 teaspoon of parmesan cheese. Take baby bites and chew well.

I got brave enough yesterday to try some tuna...don't think I could have handled it a few days ago though. In my Magic Bullet, I finely minced up a dill pickle spear, and then added a 3 ounce pouch of tuna, and 1 T of mayo. I whizzed it all up in my Magic Bullet. This made 3 meals for me.

I also like Fage 2% greek yogurt. It's absolutely loaded with protein. Sometimes I eat it plain...I eat 1/3 of a 7 ounce container at a sitting. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of sugar-free jelly and about 1/2 of a Splenda packet.

I also like cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, etc soup. I make it with skim milk instead of water to up the protein count. You can also sprinkle of bit of Unjury unflavored protein powder in it as well.

I've also been eating 1 large scrambled egg, for breakfast As soon as I remove it from my non-stick skillet, I add a 1/8 cup of shredded LF cheddar cheese. Take baby bites and chew very well.

If you can, buy yourself a Magic Bullet blender...mine has came in super handy so far. You can blend in ice into your protein shakes, and put other foods in it to puree. I bought mine at Linens n' Things with one of the 20% coupons they put out regularly.

Like Marella said though...definitely follow the diet guidelines your surgeon gave you. Some progress you at a slower rate, and some surgeons progress you faster. Compared with other people on here, my surgeon has progressed me very quickly. I actually slowed it down on my own, because getting food stuck is definitely not fun!

Edited by sherry7

Yep. Comet (the cleanser). Make a paste and gently scrub. It will lift. I tried it on my mother-in-law, after nail polish remover and a couple other things didn't work. I did comet and fingernail peeling and it's all gone.

Use some intensive ointment after, and it's not as painful as it sounds. Works well.

o i remember my other question..does anyone have any idea how to get that tape adhesive crap off of your stomach? i have been scrubbing it non stop and the only thing coming off is my skin and not the adhesive..thx

Ok So I Have A Few Questions...i Am Going To Pureed Foods Next Week And Even Though Before I Didnt Think I Would Be Im Extatic! Does Anyone Know Any Good Pureed Foods..or Good Ways To Puree Them..i Was Also Told I Dont Really Have To Puree Eggs As Long As I Chew Well? Second Question..i Have Been Trying To Walk As Much As Possible But I Have To Tag Along A 2 1/2 Year Old...i Tried Putting Her On Her Bike And Having Her Walk But Obviously She Just Cant Walk Or Ride As Far As I Want To..she Is To Big For A Stroller..tall Girl...does Anyone Have Any Suggestions??? Wish I Had $$ For A Treadmill But Not Yet....thx!;)

Soups. Broccoli cheese is a good one. Others, any kind really, are great. You get nice hot meal and satisfaction, and you can take in amounts that are satisfying. Good stuff. But stay away from ham in the soup. It doesn't puree.

ty you very much that was very helpful..have you gotten anything stuck??what did you do??

Yep, I got a piece of (well chewed) meat stuck when I was 8 or 9 days out. It scared me off, and I haven't tried anymore since then...with the exception of tilapia (which is a soft fish).

There's not much you can do, except for wait it out...and don't drink anything because it won't go past the stuck food. A few people suggested mixing a bit of powdered meat tenderizer in some warm water...meat tenderizer is chock full of MSG though, which gives me bad migraines. I'd rather have the stuck food than a migraine, lol. Some others suggested papaya enzyme tablets...I need to remember to pick up some of those.

Yep. Comet (the cleanser). Make a paste and gently scrub. It will lift. I tried it on my mother-in-law, after nail polish remover and a couple other things didn't work. I did comet and fingernail peeling and it's all gone.

Use some intensive ointment after, and it's not as painful as it sounds. Works well.

I heard that rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball will remove the tape residue. I didn't try it though, and just let mine wear off. Comet sounds rather painful! :eek:

Just now... I ate 2 bites of crab cake too many and I'm paying for it. It usually takes 5 minutes to pass... if it takes longer, you may need to throw it up (which is what I did yesterday on chicken... after 45 minutes of food being stuck and me being miserable, vomiting was easy and yucky).

According to WLS for Dummies, that 'stuck' feeling is usually due to eating more than the stomach can hold and described the feeling. It suggests to learn your 'full' signals and try to stop eating a bite before you're actually full.

Hey lala. I just graduated to pureed food yesterday and am so glad that I have so many more options.

I made some chicken salad today that was pretty good. I just put a can of the chicken chunks into the blender along with a little celery and onion (or celery salt and onion powder would work) and pureed it. Added a little ff mayo to moisten and it was really good.

Myself, I am a total watermelon lover and plan to be having a lot of it this summer. It's done good for me so far.

The hardest thing for me has been knowing when I'm full. I seem to be eating and drinking too fast still and by the time I'm full, I'm too full. It's pretty uncomfortable and I really am trying to work on it.

Here's wishing you a lot of easy transitions!

The hardest thing for me has been knowing when I'm full. I seem to be eating and drinking too fast still and by the time I'm full, I'm too full. It's pretty uncomfortable and I really am trying to work on it.

For me too... the more 'soft solid' the foods I try, I just can't find that 'full' feeling yet... but at least, now I'm aware of it and have slowed down my eating. I take a bite and put my fork down -- rather than before WLS, I'd keep the fork in my hand and keep shoving food in my face -- a habit not easy to break, especially when you're enjoying the taste of the food.

I kind of like that 'stuck' feeling, because now I can't overeat.... that is unless I stretch out my pouch.

WLS for Dummies suggest that you guard at all cost stretching out your pouch forever. That means once you reach maintenance and beyond OR ELSE suffer the consequences of not being able to read your intake and then gain that weight back you fought so hard to lose.

So always keep in mind, don't overdo it in one sitting -- and that's where I am.

With liquids and slider foods, since I was able to drink/eat 6 oz in one sitting (albeit a 15 minute sitting), I though I my pouch grew to accomodate it... but that's not the case... they just slide through as you eat. Once you get to more solids, you are well aware of what's inside pouch the grouch, and a whole new ballgame will begin.

Feelings... nothing more than Feelings,...

Thanks so much for all that insight Marella!

It really is a struggle slowing down...even though I know that is exactly what I have to do. I feel like I am in slow motion as it is and still it isn't slow enough. But I am hating this super full feeling with a passion...it makes for a powerful reminder to go slower. Maybe there is hope for me yet! :)

Susan

I just had meatloaf and mashed potatoes with a bit of gravy. The dog really enjoyed the portion I left him BECAUSE I did it. It was about 8 bites of food and I decided to stop and wait... I got that almost full feeling. Oh, I could have pushed one or three more bites, but I didn't AND I didn't suffer that stuck feeling I want to avoid at all cost OTHERWISE, the food you eat just isn't enjoyable.

I guess the rule should be that your pouch should train you, not you train your pouch -- that way, we have a better chance to be added to the TT long-term loser/winners!

WLS for Dummies says 'make every bite count' and if you don't you'll enjoy your food experience more than you did before WLS.

Here's to eight great bites!

Thanks so much for all that insight Marella!

It really is a struggle slowing down...even though I know that is exactly what I have to do. I feel like I am in slow motion as it is and still it isn't slow enough. But I am hating this super full feeling with a passion...it makes for a powerful reminder to go slower. Maybe there is hope for me yet! :)

Susan

Hi Susan. Try eating with a baby spoon...those long skinny ones that don't hold much. I bought a pack of them at WalMart and they've really come in handy so far.

WLS for Dummies says 'make every bite count' and if you don't you'll enjoy your food experience more than you did before WLS.

Here's to eight great bites!

I have this book as well, and I think it should be required reading for anyone having WLS. I've only read through mine once, but I think I'll read over it again...truly a really good book.

The meatloaf sounds SO good. I just started Phase 3...I wonder if I could eat it? I'm getting so bored of the things I've been eating over and over again.

Hey ya'll, I just started week three today and had a not so good experience with eggs. It just sort of felt stuck, I didn't get sick but took it easy the rest of the day. During pureed week I found that I love Friendship's Whipped cottage cheese, it is so good. I normally have to have fruit with CC but with this one I can eat it plain. Also I ate Refried beans, lentil soup by progresso, and I was able to put down some Wendy's chili o.k. I also have my protein shakes to make sure I am getting the protein. I use EAS already made and add lf milk to make it taste better and add to the protein. Best of luck and don't push it to hard.

Cooper

Meatloaf? I mash it with a fork so it's not chunky. I haven't made my own yet. I've had restaurant meat loaf from Perkins and Bob Evans, and the frozen foods section, Stouffers meat loaf, which I actually like best. I can eat about a 2" square flat piece, but not always.

I purchased Bob Evans mashed potatoes from the supermarket... I boil the heck out of baby carrots until their soft and mushy and add meatloaf left overs to a small 'correll' plate. Then I put it in my toaster oven (I hate microwaves) for 10 minutes at 250 and it's hot enough to eat. I never finish everything, but occasionally (twice) I've eaten just a teeny bit too much.

I've purchased frozen crab cakes. They're about 2 oz a cake and cook up pretty well, but I haven't found a brand that thrills me like the restaurant ones do -add mashed potatoes and carrots.

I'm still not into cooking for myself... just the family. They're going on Nutrisystem in 2 weeks. I can't wait until I weigh less than my husband, and then, next year, less than my son.

Eggs: I can't do REAL eggs scrambled, yep, stuck for me too... but the egg substitutes work quite well. I made a cheese omelet this AM... 1/2 cup egg substitute, 1 thin slice of cheese, in a small saucepan. I ate half, my dog enjoyed the rest - but it stayed down!

Friendship's Whipped cottage cheese: I love Breakstone, but it's the only one I've tried and it rubs me the right way. I actually love eating it! I'd enjoy to try something that might be better or different/better as a changeup. I'll be on the lookout for this one... maybe one of my markets carries it.

Chili: I haven't tried chili yet. I'm too afraid of the bowel effects.

Slow and steady wins the race!