Caveman

Hi. New here and appreciate all the info...

Hey Caveman, I came across this today. Wonder if they will pay travel pay for this? I would rather have the sleeve than the RNY.

Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding (LAP-BAND) Versus Sleeve Gastrectomy - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Rebecca,

Hmm That looks interesting. I'll have to look up the sleeve procedure. I haven't heard of it before. It looks like there is an email contact too. That's a good question about travel.....

Off to research!

Caveman

:)

Hey! Am I the only one who is DYING to hear the story about the damn goat? COME ON GUYS, GIVE IT UP! lol

~Mahealani~

Rebecca,

I sent an email to the contact person on that clinical trial you linked me to. I'll let you know if I get any response. Thanks! I've done some research but i'll keep looking........:)

Hey Mahealani!

Ok so I'll give the abridged version of the "Goat" story....:) In my town there was a seafood restaurant (a small chain) that was extremely popular. Decent food, cheap prices, mostly nice people. Well, some people came down with e-coli (I believe one lady died even) and they traced it to this restaurant but for awhile couldn't say where in the restaurant it came from. Long story short, a group of the employees had been butchering a goat in the kitchen area and after this info came out there was no hope of course. The place is still empty and I'm still grossed out cause we used to eat there a lot. For kicks, here's a link to the news story.

Source Of E. Coli Possibly Linked To Slaughtered Goat In China Grove Restaurant - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Hey Fisher1000 This pic was taken right out in front of the restaurant. Kinda gross but.....

My apologies to all....:)

post-7356-12990982632771_thumb.jpg

Ty Caveman...I should email as well, but it says no prior abdominal surgeries as does the VA info for the gastric bypass. I wonder how hard and fast they stick to that? I have a 17 inch scar that healed open, due to infection.

Let me know what you find out.

Rebecca

OMG!!! #%$ were they thinking? That's disgusting. Poor goat. And I feel so bad for all those people who got sick and for the sweet lady that died. What a sick bunch of freaks to do that!

Mahealani, believe it or not they say that it's fairly popular around here. Just not in a RESTAURANT! yuck! :)

Rebecca, you never know about with the prior surgery thing. I guess it maybe will depend on how hard a time they have getting good candidates.

I'm not really sure what I think of the procedure. I don't want to do the lap band, but I'm just not sure of the other. Still looking into it though.

I'm planning to contact the local va here this week to start the process. I don't know why I'm like this, but I'm actually really nervous about asking. I'm not usually like that so I'm not sure what's with me. Like, I could have called today but I just didn't. I'm very positive that I want to get it done, but I don't know why I would be nervous about asking for it. Weird...Maybe fear of them saying no, but I don't think that's it.

Anyway, enough of that. I promise I'll post whatever info I get back if any from my email.

caveman

Sad story. My ex married a lady who raises goats and sells them to the huge and growing illegal population in Dodge City, KS. They eat them.

Hey Caveman, when you were talking about slaw, did you mean hot slaw? That is the best!

Well Caveman, I certainly don't want the band and would actually prefer to have the sleeve over the rny. Wonder if the participants get to choose? Maybe these will be available to us by the time we finally get approved!

Rebecca,

The slaw here comes in two varieties. White and red slaw. Mayo or vinegar. I haven't run across any hot slaw here like I've had in other places. The weird thing is they put it on EVERYTHING! You have to tell them not to. Burgers, hot dogs, just everything. The strangest thing I've ever heard of though here is a place called "what-a-burger". They have a drink (i forget what they call it) but it's SunDrop (basically Mountain Dew) with a dill pickle in the bottom! I'll never touch it!

I've read some things that say the the sleeve will eventually be "the gold standard" in wls, but I'm just not sure (like I'm really an expert!). I think one of the things that bothers me about it is the wide variances in results from doc to doc in some of the published reports I found searching it on Google. Maybe that's just me not knowing much about it though. It sounds logical and all. Especially for the very high BMIs since they can avoid the open surgery.

I wondered about getting to choose also. I would imagine that they would have to let you have some say since it's not them having it done huh? One thing that is definitely good is that they can go back and do the RNY or something else if needed. Hmmmm

Hey when you asked your VA about getting done, how did they act about it?

Caveman

Caveman,

I just called the automated system. The last time I called and spoke to a real person they said I was in to see my doc towards the end of June. It hasnt been schedualed as of yet. I see my nutritionist on the 10th. This will be my second nut appointment. I hope that they can count towards the MOVE. She taught half of the classes. I attended 4 or 5 of them a yr and a half ago.

Do you have a service connected disability? I am 70%I/U but would like to go back to school. Everyone tells me that I am crazy to try that and give up the free money.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

I hate the automated systems! I used them a couple of times in Cheyenne and it turned me off the whole system for a few years. Fortuunately, my "clinic" here has a live person that they give you a number for. I just have to do it. I haven't done anything with the MOVE program yet, so that will lengthen the process I'm sure but that's ok.

Yes, i'm a 20% service connected. My private doc wanted me to try to get it raised but I didn't feel like it was right to ask for more and was afraid that the va would say "fine, if you don't agree, we'll just lower it". I actually had a friend when i got out that broke his back and couldn't walk and they rated him 10% and denied his appeal! Now, granted, all my experience with the VA until 3 months ago was from 1992 so maybe things are a lot different now.

I went to school at Colo State for two years on the Voc Rehab program and they told me at that time there was no way that would affect my rating. (I was a fool though and dropped out of the program! Jackass me) Are they telling you that going to school would change your rating? I'm really surprised if that is the case. If it is the case, could you go on your own maybe over time? My experience with the Voc Rehab program was a very good one. They paid tuition, books, and a monthly living allowance and required a c average. The only reason I didn't finish it was i got a high paying (at the time) job and was too immature and stupid to keep at it. :(

Boy am i long winded or what?!

Caveman

Yeah..from what I have been reading on a Vet website, and was verified the other day over the phone by the Voc Rehab ppl, is that once I finish school then I will probaby be evaluated again and lose the I/U (Individual Unemployability). For me that would be a loss of about 1,300 a month. I would also lose my kid's educational benefits but I am down to just one kid at home now and he wants to be a Marine! I have one leaving for the Army next month. From what I understand, this only applies to the I/U ppl. We are paid at the 100% rate.

Was your friend on active duty when he broke his back? If your condition has worsened you might want to file..or could u possibly have a secondary condtion due to the service connected one? Like me....service connected for the liver transplant 30% (I was once 100% for this but they dropped that after I lived for 5 yrs after the surgery!) then I have 40% for diabetes, due to the meds I take for the liver tx. Then I have 20% for cervical and thoractic osteopenia (precurser to osteoporosis) again, due to the meds for the tx. I know that this adds up to 90% but the VA has a method and they combine things...I dont really get it either. You should look into things.

Edited by RebeccaNV

Hey, thanks for talking to me. It's nice to have someone other than the crazy guy in my head to converse with. He never gets me anyway.:rolleyes:

Hmm that would be quite a loss. Would that apply if you went to school outside of the va process? I guess if it did then it would really be a matter of what you may be able to earn compared to what you have now...Not an easy decision at all.

Yeah my friend was active duty. He fell off of one of our planes and broke his back. I lost track of him after his appeal though. That was my first exposure to the va so it may have colored it for me. My s/c 20% is for both my knees and they have gotten worse, but it very well could be cause of the weight. After I got hurt, I couldn't run anymore and fattened up pretty quickly. I figure if I get the surgery and they don't improve, then I will try to be re evaluated. I'm just glad that because of the s/c that I don't have to worry about insurance for myself anymore. And yeah the way they figure out the percentages are pretty wild! I'm rated 20 on both knees individually but the total is still 20. ??!!

And every family needs at least on Devil Dog!!!!!! :D I wish both of your kids the best!

Sounds like you really went through the wringer with the liver thing!!

Caveman

Even if I payed my own way, if I were to go to work and make a certain amount (I think it is 14k a yr) then I would probably be evaluated. I get a letter every yr from the VA, asking if I have done any work over the past yr.

You might be able to track down your friend at miltary.com: The Leading Military Site on the Net. I found someone whom I served with. You can register there and see if anyone is looking for you :eek:

My ex fell off the back of a truck on active duty and hurt his back...over 20 yrs later he applied for VA disability...he got a 10% rating. If you find your friend, I would urge you to encourage him to refile. If his records are lost, were you a witness to this?

Yeah, your knees might be shot and you might need a replacement. I dont know if that would bring your rating up. Tomorrow I will send you the website addy where you might be able to get that question answered.

It is a pleasure to chat with you. I served for 2 yrs, 6 months and 28 days. I was medically retired 2 months after my 20th birthday. I went on sick call and that very day they told me I was gonna be retired. Unknown Liver Virus is what they diagnosed me with. They think the air gun shots in basic training might have been where I caught it...I will never really know. If you had this type of shot please be checked for Hep C if you havent already done so.

Chatch u later,

Rebecca

Hi nannag! I'm up here in China Grove just north of Kannapolis. Glad to see someone local on here! I'm sort of jealous of how so many people on here are close geographically. :)

Rebecca, Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I just never have thought about trying again since I just dropped out. I guess I figured since I quit then I just missed my opportunity. I'll have to check into it though.

Sorry to hear about how things went for you. That has to have been tough. Wow, who would have thought the airgun shots would do that??!! I always did hate those things. I got in 3years and 8 days but I sure wanted to stay. I had no intention of ever getting out but once I told the doc how I was actually feeling, that was it for me. Got put in a non-combat status and a Marine is useless if he isn't combat ready. Oh well, I have a decent life and it was all for the best i suppose.

I did find one of my friends on military.com awhile back, but not the one who got hurt. I like that website.

Hi Caveman, welcome to TT from another North Carolinaian !:) What part of NC are you from?

HA! I used to work at the Wal Mart in Gastonia!

Small world...

-Mike

HA! I used to work at the Wal Mart in Gastonia!

Small world...

-Mike

Freakishly small! Hey Mike, I don't suppose you used to live in this house I'm in now did you. LOL

Caveman

Freakishly small! Hey Mike, I don't suppose you used to live in this house I'm in now did you. LOL

Caveman

I worked at Wal-Marts (the portrait studio part) from Mt. Airy all the way down through Charlotte and Gastonia. I might not have lived in your house, but I probably took some of the pictures in it! That seems kind of creepy though...but it was back in 1994-1995--I was young!

:o

-Mike