Caveman

Hi. New here and appreciate all the info...

You two do look alot alike. Welcome to the forums.

Hi Rebecca

I haven't gotten an approval yet. Haven't even talked to them about it. I'm truly at the beginning of this process. But that being said, here is a link that you may find helpful. It's from the VA. I have also read that not all the VA hospitals do the procedure so some sort of travel might be involved.

http://www1.va.gov/surgery/docs/HANDBOOK_1102.6_Bariactric_Surgery.pdf

Check page 4 especially.

Like I said, I haven't started with them yet, but I think if I didn't get anywhere with the MOVE people or your nutritionist I would be bugging the PCP about it. Maybe he /she would be more receptive. According to the numbers, you would qualify on the BMI plus co-morbidity category. Admittedly the like above is a 2005 release version, I haven't been able to find a more recent revision and as you may know, if it hasn't been revised, it's still considered policy with VA documents. Of course I could be all wet too and just wrong.

I'm glad to see someone who is dealing through the VA on this site. I am SO interested in what kind of hoops you have to jump through. I haven't even started with MOVE yet as I only decided in the last week or so to go for it. My BMI is 45.2 and on top of that I have other co-morbidities so I'm hoping I don't get too much of a run around.

I just really encourage you to talk straight with your pcp. Maybe write down what you want to say and don't just accept a "no" without a fight.

Keep in touch. I definitely would be interested to know how things go and I will post anything I find out also.

See ya

Caveman

:)

Hi Rebecca

I haven't gotten an approval yet. Haven't even talked to them about it. I'm truly at the beginning of this process. But that being said, here is a link that you may find helpful. It's from the VA. I have also read that not all the VA hospitals do the procedure so some sort of travel might be involved.

http://www1.va.gov/surgery/docs/HANDBOOK_1102.6_Bariactric_Surgery.pdf

Keep in touch. I definitely would be interested to know how things go and I will post anything I find out also.

See ya

Caveman

Ty for providing the link. I had read it already but hadn't thought about posting it for future VA patients to see. I have found two Vets here who have had gastric bypass surgery at the VA but unfortunatly they don't seem to post any more, although they have answered my DM's. They both had their surgeries in San Diego. I doctor at the Reno, NV VA and I know that I will prolly be sent to Sacramento or San Fran. The link that lists what VA facilities perform the surgery seems to be broken. If you have a list please let me know. I also communicate with a Vet on a veteran's support website. He used insurance to have the lap band done, but he is able to get the vitamins and did the pre-op stuff at his VA hospital.

BTW....I used to live in Okiehoma (Buffalo and Laverne)...and my dad was born and raised in Picher, the town that recently got blown away. Where in OK is your wife from?

Keep me informed and I will do the same for you. :)

Rebecca

Edited by RebeccaNV

Caveman.. WELCOME to TT! I've enjoyed reading the dialog between you and Mike... SMALL WORLD, huh?

Reading here is a great help in the decision making... I know it worked for me! Keep reading, keep posting! It's great to meet you!

katie

Hi Toony! Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely be around for awhile

Rebecca, sorry about the broken link. I've been looking for a list and as soon as I find one i'll post it to you. It's got to be somewhere....

My wife was living in Tonkawa (up by Ponca city) and she grew up in OklaCity. Her parents (:rolleyes:) still live in the city. I guess it's been about 4 years since I was there...

You mentioned two people that had it done but don't post much. Did they post enough to get a sense of how things went in general?

ttyl

Caveman

Bald is HOT... Zen and I have a thing for baldy's too! :D

Careful folks...I'm gonna start wanting to shave off what's left on the sides. Ya'll are hilarious.

Caveman

;)

Careful folks...I'm gonna start wanting to shave off what's left on the sides. Ya'll are hilarious.

Caveman

;)

YES YES...SHAVE!!! Hubby did years ago and totally bald is HOT HOT HOT..and he looks younger!:D

Ha! I think I will desperately hang on until I start losing it because of surgery (I Hope). Besides, at my size now, i just looks like a giant q-ball! Have you seen the childrens show BooBah????!!!! I'm still waiting to be paid for using my images..........

Caveman

:D

Rebecca, sorry about the broken link. I've been looking for a list and as soon as I find one i'll post it to you. It's got to be somewhere....

ttyl

Caveman

No, Dear Friend. The link you posted is fine..but inside of the information there is link to find VA locations for this sugery and it doesn't work. I have gone to the VA website and used their location search...no dice. I want to say that there are either 9 or 15 locations where this surgery is performed within the VA.

Hmm. One of the members is Honeyblonde and the other I can't remember the name (I am sorry!) but if you use the search function here using "VA" or "Veteran's" you can find them. In their posts they made is sound so simple to get approval for this surgery. I have been in the VA system for over 23 years and I love the VA...but somethings are difficult to get done, and you have to find the right person who will listen to you.

My ex hubby was from the Bartlesville, Ok area..I have been thru Tonkawa several times, and I used to drive 3 hours to get to my VA in OKC. Go OSU Cowboys!

Rebecca

Hey Rebecca

Just got a second cause I have to run to work for a bit but i did find this little bit reading a study that I thought I'd pass on to you......

"VHA offers bariatric surgery to eligible veterans at 14 VA facilities, of which three perform LAGB

Rebecca, I did as you said and looked at Honeyblonde's posts and did some more searches. Looks like it went fairly smooth. I was expecting to hear like a year or 18 month waiting process but I guess not. I'll just give it a go and see what happens I guess.

Hey maybe I could use this as my "avatar" lol

post-7356-12990982626963_thumb.jpg

Caveman

;)

My Geof let me be the first one to ever shave his head... :D

YUMMY YUMMY...

YES YES...SHAVE!!! Hubby did years ago and totally bald is HOT HOT HOT..and he looks younger!:D

Heh... when I first met Geof he had that 'halo' thing going on... three weeks later, he let me shave his head.... he looked immediately 10 years younger... and sexy.. oh gawd... he was standing there in his jeans.. a baseball style shirt, bare feet and that gorgeous bald head.

He is sweet enough to shave in the evenings, so I get to enjoy it too .. heh..

Edited by mistymee

You're cracking me up Mistymee!! I'm worried to let She who must be obeyed get near me for that long with a razor. Never know when she might get annoyed or distracted. :eek: haha

I shaved my head myself the first time I did it--years ago. Couldn't quite get all the spots and had my wife doubled over laughing. I looked as though I had had chemo and radiation treatment. She cleaned it up though, and she's been shaving it ever since. As a matter of fact, I haven't paid for a haircut in over 8 years!

I'm rocking about two weeks of growth right now, though. I'll shave it tomorrow after the gym I think. Although, I'm lookin' pretty hot right about now...

:D

-Mike

I usually just buzz cut my own but that's much less dangerous cause it's harder to cut yourself with clippers. Maybe I'll have her practice on a really big balloon or something. HA!

I usually just buzz cut my own but that's much less dangerous cause it's harder to cut yourself with clippers. Maybe I'll have her practice on a really big balloon or something. HA!

Here ya go, honey:

[url=http://www.headblade.com/]HeadBlade

OMG! I never thought i'd see an ad for a head shaving line of products! lmbfao....

Tell you what, if i am able to get the surgery, i promise to shave it at least once to see what it looks like. Might even post it. Years ago before boot camp i had it shaved off (can't remember how though....) and i remember the picture looking like a giant Kilroy. :D

Caveman

They sell this at Walgreen's for like $12...

-Mike

Our local Star Market also sells their products.. the lube is $7.99 ;):D

Sorry to be bringing up the rear Caveman but I couldn't not send you a big wave from a very HOT WA. itsme.gif

Bald is good! And to be honest, at my age, anything breathing is good! :D