Where are the Okie's?

CiCi

Dr. Katsis is my current doctor and I highly recommend him. He took me on as a patient in trouble and has been wonderful. His office number is 918.481.8400 The surgeon that did my surgery wouldn't let me even on their facebook page after I left the hospital the last time. My guess is that they were afraid of what I might say. I did see on their old yahoo groups page that any post that had any questions that could become contraversial were quickly deleted. Only the good things said were left on their page. It's a shame. Good luck.

Edited by complicationsurvivor

Serena...depending on where you are at I would just call the hospitals and ask them. Dr. Katsis at St. Francis/Bailey may allow others to go their meetings. I am not sure but just call surgical associates and ask them. You are in Muskogee??? Glad you chose Dr. Nelson. The pcp I used to work for actually recommended them to me first. I chose to go with Dr. Katsis only because it seemed right for me! Good lick with everything!

Yes, I am in Muskogee. Dr. Katsis is in Tulsa, right?

Dr. Katsis is my current doctor and I highly recommend him. He took me on as a patient in trouble and has been wonderful. His office number is 918.481.8400 The surgeon that did my surgery wouldn't let me even on their facebook page after I left the hospital the last time. My guess is that they were afraid of what I might say. I did see on their old yahoo groups page that any post that had any questions that could become contraversial were quickly deleted. Only the good things said were left on their page. It's a shame. Good luck.

I appreciate you having the phone number on hand. As you know, we have another snow storm coming in, but I hope to get a call into them and find out if I can go to the support groups. 2 1/2 hours is just too long to go to support groups on a regular basis. I do make my appts. around the meetings so that I can take care of both at one time though.

Yep Dr. Katsis is in Tulsa and also does surgery at Bailey in Owasso where I had mine. I really liked him and the support groups may be very good. I never really got the chance to get more involved as we moved to FL right after my surgery. I hope you find someone close by to go to but if like me you need someone on here just message me! I am new out and look to many of the "oldie" on these forums but because we will be close to the same times sugically with me being a little in front of you I will be glad to help you out if I can!

Yes he is in Tulsa, the group meets at the Warren Building near St. Francis at 61st & Yale. I think there is still a support group in Muskogee by another doctor but in my opinion it is a 'dog and pony show' all about the $$$. The doctors office says unless you are a patient of his then you're not welcome. The meetings I attended were all about the dr and what he has done. It's a 'me' meeting, except for passing a microphone around the room and people saying their name, when they had the surgery and how many pounds they have lost. I didn't see any of what I would describe as support and was a total waste of time. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I am in Muskogee. Dr. Katsis is in Tulsa, right?

Everyone is welcome to the Owasso support group meeting. Next one is Monday at 6pm. A Pharmacist who has had gastric bypass (several years ago) will be the guest speaker and she will be discussing supplements and nutrition.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks, kampinout, I rarely look down at this section of the forums so I just now saw your response. I'll look into the surrounding support groups for Owasso and Tulsa soon since I can't get to many of the ones that are 2 1/2 hours away.

• 1 month later...

Hello Miss Keaton,

First, congrads on your choice to make this change in your life, I am positive it will not be a choice to will regret.

I had gastric bypass in April and have now lost 77 pounds and loving it. I would be delighted to chat with you about anything concerns or questions you have. I know when I was preparing for my surgery I spoke to many people I wanted to know everything I could before the procedure, wanted to be prepared. My in-laws live a little south of OKC and we make visits there often along with the fact that my surgeon is in OKC, so meeting in person certainly wouldn't be out of the question for me. It truely does help to have someone to talk too. I know I have several friends/coworkers that have had this precedure done and without them there are days I would have gone insane.

I might have missed it but are you planning on having gastric bypass or the lap band?

Hope to hear from you soon. You can e-mail me at sandykc@cableone.net of you would like.

Good luck

We have the same surgeon and same hospital!

Sandy

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm having the vertical banded gastroplasty and my surgeon doesn't have a multidisciplinary program. Has anyone come across this problem? My insurance requires it to approve my surgery. I really don't want to change surgeons and have to start over. I've already been at this for a year now.

I've completed all requirements except I need to find a support group which is usually offered with a surgeon that has a multidisciplinary program. I also need to see a dietician as well. That shouldn't be to hard to find.