Where are the Okie's?

CiCi

• 3 months later...

I am looking toward February as a surgery date (bypass) through Dr. Kirk's program with Dr. Katsis as my surgeon.

Starting to get really nervous - anyone out there close to me?

Hello, I just found your post about your up coming surgery in Feb and first I want to say, Congrats!!! I had my gastric bypass surgery 21 months ago, WOW has it really been that long!! Time flies!! I started out at 357 pounds and have lost 169 pounds. It has been an amazing adventure. I live in Miami Oklahoma, I think we are about 45 minutes apart. We visit Claremore from time to time. I wish that in the few months before my surgery that I had someone to visit with and help me deal with some emotions and well just be there for me. Please know that I would be more than happy to talk to you and listen to you. Messege me if you need an ear and I will be here for you!

Good Luck Sandy ;)

Thank you so much Sandy! The doctor's office called today and surgery may be as soon as Jan 25th, pending insurance approval! Wow!

Looks like the all liquid diet begins this coming Tuesday if all goes well.

OMG.............how wonderful and exciting!!! Good luck with the liquid diet. For me the first few days were tough but after that it was really no peoblem at all, From time to time I actually go back to a week of liquids to reset myself and shrink my stomach a little!!

Please remeber if you have any questions or just need to talk I am here.

sandykc@cableeone.net

Sandy

Made the trip to Wal-Mart today and stocked the cabinet for after surgery - whew!

I am having a tough time with the last supper syndrome and want coconut so bad!

Excitement is building now - all I have left to do is clean the house and pack my bag.....maybe I can do that while I am waiting for time to drink the next Carnation Instant Breakfast. :P

Hope this week is productive!

AHH,, how I remeber that time before surgery, cleaning from top to bottom of the house, emtpied all the food out of the house and replaced with foods I could have... How exciting....Have you tired any other protien shakes? MY very favorite are called 100% Whey and it comes in 17 different flavors and had higher protein than the carnation beakfast, my very favorite is Malt Chocoalte and Exteme chocolate. I still drink them today for breakfast in the mornings they are that good.

I must try the 100% whey after surgery. My Dr. specifically wants his patients on Carnation for 2 weeks before surgery.

I made it today, it wasn't easy, I just keep telling myself "only 13 days to go"! :)

Have a great day Sandy Kay!

AHH,, how I remeber that time before surgery, cleaning from top to bottom of the house, emtpied all the food out of the house and replaced with foods I could have... How exciting....Have you tired any other protien shakes? MY very favorite are called 100% Whey and it comes in 17 different flavors and had higher protein than the carnation beakfast, my very favorite is Malt Chocoalte and Exteme chocolate. I still drink them today for breakfast in the mornings they are that good.

Thanks for the information on the protein drinks that you like. I am a little nervous about being able to keep up with 65g of protein a day so I add Braum's milk which has 13g of protein/cup. Does the ones you like taste good with milk? And where do you get them from? Thanks for any help you can give!!

Yes, they taste good with milk, I always use milk for the added protein and Braums skim milk at that. I am not going to tell you that it is easy to get that amount of protein in right after surgery becasue it isn't. It is a challenge. There are also these protein bullet that I found, that is a smaller amount of liquid to drink with higher amounts of protein, their taste is not horrible but they certainly helped me through those first few months of getting all that protein in. You can search for them on the interent. The 100% Whey, the full name is Golden Standard and I believe when you taste then you will like them, the chocolates are really good. LIke I tols Cheryl if there is anything I can help you with please let me know. There are just times you need someone to talk to that has been there. It is an exciting yet scary time!! Good Luck!

Edited by SandyKae

Thank you, Sandy Kae! I will look up more on those protein drinks, especially the one called protein bullet since it's smaller and easier to get down after surgery. Since surgery doesn't change our "minds" just the size of our stomachs, I am trying to do the things/ get used to the things I'll need to be doing afterwards such as get in all my protein, go without caffeine and carbonated drinks, etc. Thanks for all the support, I appreciate it!!

Serena,

You are welcome. Three months before my surgery date that is exactly what I did. I started drinking different protein drinks to find the ones I liked best and actually started replacing breafast with proteins drinks and now almost 2 years out 95% of the time I still have a protein shake for breakfast. Also, stopped the soda and higher suger foods. I had the times of wanting to eat things for the last time I would ever get to eat them, but for the most part I started cutting things out so that the transition was smoother. I firmly believe it was of a great beneifit to me. It is an odd soundng thing to hear people say I don't even want soda anymore, well that is exactly how I feel, the mere thought of drinking a soda still today makes me a little sick to my stomach, as well as things like candy, cakes, cookies, I just plain out don't want them any longer. I love it and hope and pray that it will always stay that way. There are many different protein drinks out there, another good one that has samples you can buy if called VitaLady, they have several fruit flavored ones that are good. Again good luck!! :) I am truly excited for you!

Ok no pun intended here is my OK story. I moved to OKC with husband #1 and we had a kiddo there and divorced there but I apparently had not had my OK fill yet and I ended up marrying an Okie. I had considered wls surgery even then (13 years ago) but never had the courage to pursue it further. We continued to live in OKC for awhile and then we moved to his hometown of Chelsea and lived there and Big Cabin. After a bit I went stir crazy and we decided that we are not great country folk so we moved to the big town of Claremore and he worked in Tulsa. During that time my primary care Dr. suggested wls surgery again and his recommendation was to go see Dr. Keith in Norman. I checked them out but lost the nerve. So then I went to a seminar by Dr. Gorospe because I loved Bailey hospital but I ended up not loving Dr. Gorospe. A few more years went by and he left Bailey. I then learned about Dr. Katsis and Dr. JoeBob Kirk and that did it for me so I had my wls there at Bailey. My friend in between all the time went to Edmond for her VSG. I don't know who did but I can find out. She was extremely pleased. Then one month after my wls we moved to FL and I miss my OK friends but I am loving this place too! Hope all you OK people are doing well!

It is great to see the great things about Dr. Kirk and Dr. Katsis - they are also my Dr's! I really like both of them and expect great things!

I am on Day 5 of full liquid diet - 8 days to go!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Stephoria, be thankful that Dr G didn't do your surgery. Something inside of me told me not to go with him to Muskogee Community Hospital but I let me guard down and went. I was referred to Dr Katsis while a patient in MCH suffering complications and when I left that nightmare I went to see him, thank God he was there for me. He has been my doctor and taking care of me and getting me healthy. His office doesn't just do WLS, they specialize in other surgeries as well and I know if I have other issues he can take care of them as well.

Stephoria, be thankful that Dr G didn't do your surgery. Something inside of me told me not to go with him to Muskogee Community Hospital but I let me guard down and went. I was referred to Dr Katsis while a patient in MCH suffering complications and when I left that nightmare I went to see him, thank God he was there for me. He has been my doctor and taking care of me and getting me healthy. His office doesn't just do WLS, they specialize in other surgeries as well and I know if I have other issues he can take care of them as well.

You have made me feel better about Dr. G not accepting my insurance. I have heard lots of good things about him, too. What kinds of complications did you have, if you don't mind me asking.

It began with a leak left during surgery and wasn't found and abscesses abound. The hospital stay was a nightmare in itself, I have never experienced such a nightmare. My husbands most used word for them is incompetence. It is unbelievable what I went through and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

When I was told by Bllue Cross Blue Shield that he was no longer in their network I thanked God for the patients that would be going elsewhere.

Edited by complicationsurvivor

• 3 weeks later...

His staff don't seem to have good customer care because I called a couple times in the past and never got a response from them. That doesn't make any sense to me. I chose Dr. Nelson from Norman Regional Hospital. I should be having surgery in April :D

Do any of you know where there's a support group? My surgeon is 2 1/2 hours away and I'd like to attend more support group meetings.

Serena...depending on where you are at I would just call the hospitals and ask them. Dr. Katsis at St. Francis/Bailey may allow others to go their meetings. I am not sure but just call surgical associates and ask them. You are in Muskogee??? Glad you chose Dr. Nelson. The pcp I used to work for actually recommended them to me first. I chose to go with Dr. Katsis only because it seemed right for me! Good lick with everything!