Where are the Okie's?

CiCi

Hey Everyone!

I am about to begin my journey! I have the first seminar August 19th, and I am determined to do this. My regular doctor is on board, and we've been trying everything under the sun since I moved here 3 years ago. I'm going to see Dr. Keith in Norman, he's done 3 of my coworkers surgeries, and they are all very happy. Maybe some of us sexy women can get together (in person or online) and get a lil support group going, I know I'll need a walking buddy! I have tons of questions on things like protein supplements and vitamins and how/when to eat/drink everything. I hate going into a doctors visit and having not done any research at all, even if its just a cold. I am just one of those people that have to know everything about everything.

I wish you all well!

Best of luck to you Miss Keaton! You are about to do the best thing you can possibly do for yourself! I am 7.5 months out and am down about 73 pounds. I live in Sand Springs, but would be MORE than happy to give you ideas/suggestions/support - whatever you need! I'm the same way - I have to know the ins and outs of everything - ESPECIALLY something this life altering. Best of luck! Stay patient throughout the process - it can get frustrating from time to time.

Hello Miss Keaton,

First, congrads on your choice to make this change in your life, I am positive it will not be a choice to will regret.

I had gastric bypass in April and have now lost 77 pounds and loving it. I would be delighted to chat with you about anything concerns or questions you have. I know when I was preparing for my surgery I spoke to many people I wanted to know everything I could before the procedure, wanted to be prepared. My in-laws live a little south of OKC and we make visits there often along with the fact that my surgeon is in OKC, so meeting in person certainly wouldn't be out of the question for me. It truely does help to have someone to talk too. I know I have several friends/coworkers that have had this precedure done and without them there are days I would have gone insane.

I might have missed it but are you planning on having gastric bypass or the lap band?

Hope to hear from you soon. You can e-mail me at sandykc@cableone.net of you would like.

Good luck

Sandy

Hey Sandy!

Definitely the bypass. I am an all or nothing type person and I know it. Plus the fact that I am 26 years old, 5'11" and over 425 pounds. I know i only have two choices, live, or die.

It would be awesome to talk to someone with a different experience. The people at work are great (mostly). There is one lady she had her gastric bypass 2 years ago this month, and she looks AMAZING! One had lap band and has lost 100 pounds in a little over 2 years, which i dont think i can do. And the other had hers about 5 years ago and throws up every day because she eats candy and snacks and all the wrong things, every day, i dont know why. I wonder sometimes if she thinks thats the only way she can keep the weight off now.

I am determined to NEVER end up like her.

I would love to hear your stories, successful and not! I really like to know what works well the first 2 weeks, then the next weeks till solid food. maybe a shopping list (from anyone really).

Hope to hear from you soon!

Everyone have a blessed day!

Hey Sandy!

Definitely the bypass. I am an all or nothing type person and I know it. Plus the fact that I am 26 years old, 5'11" and over 425 pounds. I know i only have two choices, live, or die.

It would be awesome to talk to someone with a different experience. The people at work are great (mostly). There is one lady she had her gastric bypass 2 years ago this month, and she looks AMAZING! One had lap band and has lost 100 pounds in a little over 2 years, which i dont think i can do. And the other had hers about 5 years ago and throws up every day because she eats candy and snacks and all the wrong things, every day, i dont know why. I wonder sometimes if she thinks thats the only way she can keep the weight off now.

I am determined to NEVER end up like her.

I would love to hear your stories, successful and not! I really like to know what works well the first 2 weeks, then the next weeks till solid food. maybe a shopping list (from anyone really).

Hope to hear from you soon!

Everyone have a blessed day!

I'm so in the same boat! I am 26, 5'11" and started at 337. The BIGGEST recommendations for the soft foods I can give are the following:

(Keep in mind: I am a total salt girl, not big into sweets)

Fat-free refried beans with melted low-fat cheese

Low fat cottage cheese

Hummus

Baby food - the only one I could find that I liked were the sweet potatos with added salt and pepper

Chicken broth

Pudding - add your protein powder to it!

Apple sauce (no sugar added) with a pack of Splenda and some cinnamon

Hope that helps!

I'm a salty dawg too. Honestly.. and sadly... I am allergic to chocolate, strawberries, all melon, rhubarb, and possibly whey. I worked in a cheese/whey plant and was constantly sick to my stomach because of the whey in the air. but i've had things like slim fast bars and weight watchers bars. so i may be ok with actual digestion of it. I'll get samples before i get a big jar of anything.

I'm also a born and raised texan, so the refried beans and cheese sounds good right now even!

OH i found out there is no "wait 6 months" stipulations from my insurance, just a pcp saying that i've tried. The one thing i am worried about, is if i cant get a note from a doctor saying i had to have the surgery, i may not get the 2 weeks of short term disability, which i will need because i wont have a full month of vacation by December. so crossing my fingers on that.

I'm a salty dawg too. Honestly.. and sadly... I am allergic to chocolate, strawberries, all melon, rhubarb, and possibly whey. I worked in a cheese/whey plant and was constantly sick to my stomach because of the whey in the air. but i've had things like slim fast bars and weight watchers bars. so i may be ok with actual digestion of it. I'll get samples before i get a big jar of anything.

I'm also a born and raised texan, so the refried beans and cheese sounds good right now even!

OH i found out there is no "wait 6 months" stipulations from my insurance, just a pcp saying that i've tried. The one thing i am worried about, is if i cant get a note from a doctor saying i had to have the surgery, i may not get the 2 weeks of short term disability, which i will need because i wont have a full month of vacation by December. so crossing my fingers on that.

Good deal! It sounds like you're really thinking ahead of the game! Just be sure to reinforce to your general physician how important and life changing this will be for you. Luckily, they also have soy protein powders! May want to give them a whirl. It's a GREAT idea to start with samples. You may or may not end up liking it.

• 5 months later...

Congrats on your up coming surgery date!! Very excited for you and hope all goes well. The first day of the new is is only a shirt time away. Have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I am now almost 9 months out and have lost 131 pounds and loving every minute of the new me.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum but excited to connect with others who are experiencing their journey of weight loss. I am an Army wife living in Oklahoma. My surgery was performed on 19JAN2010. It was a life changing and glorious day for me. I had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy which has been perfect for me! My heaviest weight was 257 then 252 on my surgery date and now today I am 211.8. I am 53 years old and have been overweight for over 20 years since the birth of my child. My daughter has never seen me thin and I have missed out on many things because of my weight. As my weight drops I feel incredible amounts of energy and such a positive attitude! I am so pleased to find this online support system and look forward to interacting with many of you.

Well hey there!

I had Gastric Bypass on March 22, 2010 with Dr. Keith in Norman, everything went perfectly. i'm trying to be a good girl, but hey we all have our days. Thursday I'll start on pureed foods, which happens to be my birthday, so yay for pudding and ima make some crock pot chili today mmmmm

I wasnt born here, i wasnt raised here, but i'm in OKC for now :P and i'm not gonna tell you where i came from! hehe

♥♥♥

Grats on your sleeve!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm okie born and raised. I'm an army wife and moved away for several years, but now we're stationed back at Ft. Sill. I'm having the vertical sleeve at the end of this month. Looking forward to getting to know all you okies!

I have been on here several months and havent hardly seen anyone from OK

Edited by ansley

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am in Tulsa and planning to have bypass thru

Dr. Gorospe. I don't know when because I just had my intake on 7/2/10 not even sure if I will be approved insurance wise. I really want to chat with people who have gone thru surgery because I have fears and concerns and tons of questions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dr Gorospe did mine. I really like him and his staff. We live near Oologah (kinda between Oologah and Claremore)

Dr Gorospe did mine. I really like him and his staff. We live near Oologah (kinda between Oologah and Claremore)

A friend of mine lives out in Claremore....wait.....I think it is Claremore. Not sure....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I, too, haven't noticed very many okies on here, which I was surprised since we're a state with many overweight people (me being one of them!) I've lived in OK for about 4 years now and really have grown to like it. I have yet to pic THE doctor I'll be using for gastric bypass, but I'm going to Dr. Nelson's seminar on October 18. Dr. Gorospe (sp?) is also really good, but he doesn't accept my insurance :( I would love to hear from others from Oklahoma and how far you are from Muskogee, too. Have a blessed day!

well hello! Dr Gorospe did mine. he is a phenomenal Doctor. We live up around Oologah. I had my surgery at Muskogee and it was very nice and comfy hospital.

well hello! Dr Gorospe did mine. he is a phenomenal Doctor. We live up around Oologah. I had my surgery at Muskogee and it was very nice and comfy hospital.

I went to one of his seminars and was really impressed with him. While there, I asked about medicaid or medicare and they don't accept either one. But then I looked online and saw that his website said something about medicare so I called the office and left a message for them to return my call if they accept medicare and have yet to receive a call so I guess they still don't accept it. How far away from Muskogee is Oologah? Good to see you on here! Love your pic, you look so thin!!!!

Hi Cici, I am not from here originally but this is where I have been for the last 12 years. I am in Tulsa. Origianally from Idaho. I hate Oklahoma weather.