Is Oatmeal bad or good

ICEman

Oatmeal

I have had Oatmeal with blue berries or banana since 5 weeks post op every morning

I have three heaping teaspoons and 1/4 cup of skim milk micro for 3 mins.and then I add blueberries or a half of a banana. I also use splenda

I like the hot food and it seems to stick with me for a while.

I find it is my comfort food.

I hope it is OK I would hate to have to give it up

I was eating oatmeal quite a bit, the "Weight Control" variety because it was lower in carbs and higher in protein. I could eat one packet and be completely full. The taste of though started to get to me after a while so I've not had it recently. I would LOVE to have the Maple and Brown Sugar variety because that's what I used to eat all the time pre-surgery, but it's got too much sugar in it and I'm afraid it will make me dump. I've not been brave enough to try it yet.

Oatmeal is also on the list of stuff my doctor said was okay to eat, which, if you want to see the list, you can access it through Gwen's Megapost for the Newbies here:

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/showthread.php?t=17826

The Nutrition Guide From my doctor is about half way down...

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...

The Quaker Weight control is fine, add in some protein powder of your choice, and it's super good for you!! It will fill you up though, and the further out you are the better! I can eat an entire bowl...but then I am full for a LONG time!!

Well, I'm still pre-op, so I don't know if it good for post-op people, but I sure do like it. :)

WalMart makes a few different instant oatmeals that are sugar free...my favorite being the brown sugar & cinnamon flavor.

My very FAVORITE oatmeal is steel-cut oatmeal (as opposed to the rolled oats that are typical). An example is John McCann's Irish Oatmeal. I buy mine at Amazon.com. It's a bit of a pain because it takes 30 minutes to cook (must cook it on the stovetop), but the end result is well worth it. It has a bit of a nutty flavor, and has a bit of a 'chew' to it. I usually make enough for 3 or 4 days at a time, and nuke it each morning. If you have a Whole Foods Market near you, I believe they sell a generic version of the steel-cut oats in the bulk food section there.

Hospital gave me oatmeal on the first morning I could eat or drink...but then they also gave me full sugar fruit juice at the same time! I stayed away from it for over a year..then now have it a few times a week. Of course, I can't get that much in, but I add in fruit, flax seed, bran flakes and that way I get in lots of fibre. Oh, and I don't eat mine with milk!

Hospital gave me oatmeal on the first morning I could eat or drink...but then they also gave me full sugar fruit juice at the same time! I stayed away from it for over a year..then now have it a few times a week. Of course, I can't get that much in, but I add in fruit, flax seed, bran flakes and that way I get in lots of fibre. Oh, and I don't eat mine with milk!

OMG, you got oatmeal in the hospital? I thought it was at least a couple of weeks or more before you got to eat mushy food?

Yup. Had my surgery on a Monday - no fluids or food until after my leak test on the Thursday, then they brought me breakfast of oatmeal, juice, milk and jello....

Needless to say a bite of everything and I was full!

;)I like the old fashion quaker oat's oatmeal and I use brown sugar splenda:)

I like the brown sugar splenda...I just wish they could figure out a way to make it calorie free, like the regular splenda. I was kinda suprised when I read the nutritional info on it, and saw that it had calories.

• 2 weeks later...

You want to be careful with oatmeal. One thing we do not need is a bunch of fiber. Fiber is filling and slow to digest, which is good when you are trying to lose weight, but for WLS patients, extra fiber is not necessary and can be counter-productive. My surgeon explained that for the human body to be healthy, there are only three thing needed: water-based liquids, protein and vitamins. These three things are imperative for WLS patients even more so. Oatmeal should be considered a treat, not part of your regular diet.