Well done girls!

AnnieH

Ahhh Thanks Annie!!!

One of these days (months ;)) you'll be melting away as well!!

I can't wait to reach the 99kg mark - for me it is a bigger deal than our sisters across the waters' Onederland (when they reach 199lb) :P

Almost there!

XXX

I can't wait to reach the 99kg mark

I know what you mean - the 2 times I've been under 100 was a HUGE thing for me too! I can't wait!!

I expect a huge big message when you get there... before christmas?!

An

I'll be vising your next of the woods in February. I will be in Johannesburg for all of 1.5 hours :)

I'll be vising your next of the woods in February. I will be in Johannesburg for all of 1.5 hours :)

Such a short visit?? Where will you be exactly? Let me know if you need anything for the entire 1.5hr journey!!

An

Such a short visit?? Where will you be exactly? Let me know if you need anything for the entire 1.5hr journey!!

An

A plane change before I head to Bloemfontein. I will spend 5 days there and in surrounding areas visiting hospice organizations and working with Joan to see how we can grow more Sunflower Houses in other places.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey gals!

Any tips on travel to South Africa?

Are travel checks the best form of money to bring? Or just bring cash/bank card and convert at the airport? How much should I plan for for a 5 day trip? I plan to purchase food, minor toiletries, a few dresses, and of course, trinkets to bring back.

What electric converter do I need to plug my cell phone and camera?

I haven't traveled abroad since1988, and that was to London. I am sure a lot has changed in 20 years!

Hey gals!

Any tips on travel to South Africa?

Are travel checks the best form of money to bring? Or just bring cash/bank card and convert at the airport? How much should I plan for for a 5 day trip? I plan to purchase food, minor toiletries, a few dresses, and of course, trinkets to bring back.

What electric converter do I need to plug my cell phone and camera?

I haven't traveled abroad since1988, and that was to London. I am sure a lot has changed in 20 years!

Hey Marie!

Well, in my experience, it's best to bring a small amount of cash so you can buy a drink or so at the airport here if necessary and then get cash from an ATM here if you have a VISA / Mastercard. Travel checks are a P.A.I.N. but they are safe if you dont have a card.

Difficult to say how much you would need... really depends on what and where you buy. For food do you mean snacks on the go, or are you staying at a self catering place and need real groceries? Everything is so much more expensive at the airport so try and buy your trinkets and stuff wherever you will be... but the airport has it all in duty free (in Johannesburg anyway) and they all accept bank cards.

For plug converters - we use a 3 pin plug - you will probably find it easier to obtain once you're here. I know our AA travel shops keep them and a lot of the bigger pharmacies (Dischem and Clicks) mostly have them. The newsagent type places here (CNA) at the airport will sell them too if you want to get one as soon as you arrive.

Hope that helps? You're welcome to PM me if you need more info - happy to help if I can!

An

Thanks.....there were no ATMs when I last traveled :)

I do have a Visa card, so that will work.

I am staying the family of Joan, whom I will tour the hospices with. I am packing one bag wit toys for the kid and then I can buy some clothes there to wear and bring back.

Hi- you will be fine with a VISA card. Small amounts of cash at any time. Please remember the dollar is much stronger than the rand and you will be able to shop to your hearts content! NEVER carry large amounts of cash. You will be entering some very dodgy parts of the country - so don't flash jewelry, cameras or any other touristy parephenalia. If you come to Cape Town, pm me and I will give you untouristy spots to do some shopping.

Please enjoy your stay, this is a lovely friendly country. PS- Sweets always goes down a treat with these kids, peanut brittle and such contain a lot of protein and is nutritious as well as nice to eat.

Let us know- and take lots of pictures.