Hello my fellow Springbok supporters

Lovetoday

We won the World CUP and recently with a depleted team beat Wales.

Yes- I know maybe not the right place but there were no other threads on this newly created subforum so I just had to get my two cents in.

This is our space- we can talk about what to eat at a braai ( as opposed to a barbeque where it seems people in USA eat viennas and hamburger patties?)

Anyway- I don't want to get thrown off here but if there are anyone else in SA out there except for me and Annie - give us a shout!

:):):):)

• 4 months later...

Hi there. Just joined this site. So glad to see other S.A. people here. I am going for my op in about 3 weeks, but itas not the Gaastric Bypasss, i dont know what its called in english,(will find out) but in Afr its called "verkorte derm operasie". Its done in Pretoria by Dr. De Beer. I am so scared, but yet so very, very excited. I cant wait to loose all of my excess weight. I weigh almost 150kg. And i am so unhappy. Everybody says this operation is very drastic, but i am so desperate to be "normal" I am only 30 years old but feel like a old old woman...... but not for long

Hi there. Just joined this site. So glad to see other S.A. people here. I am going for my op in about 3 weeks, but itas not the Gaastric Bypasss, i dont know what its called in english,(will find out) but in Afr its called "verkorte derm operasie". Its done in Pretoria by Dr. De Beer. I am so scared, but yet so very, very excited. I cant wait to loose all of my excess weight. I weigh almost 150kg. And i am so unhappy. Everybody says this operation is very drastic, but i am so desperate to be "normal" I am only 30 years old but feel like a old old woman...... but not for long

Hi!

Yay another South African!!!

What day is your op? I'm going on the 6th of May - also in Pretoria at UNITAS.

Everybody is right - it is a drastic operation, but I think for people like us, a necessary and realistic one. Stick to your own decisions and let what other people say about it affect it too much.

You are welcome to send me a Private message and email if you want to chat - maybe we can get together before the surgery since we'll both be in Pretoria!

Hang in there and welcome to this wonderful support community!!

An

• 3 weeks later...

Hi my name is Lorinda,

I am 42 years old I went for the RY Gastric Bypass on 4/10/2007 and have lost 40kg,I paid R10000.00 :eek:for the operation but will do it again, I put all my fat clothes in 4

black bags today :confused:do not know if i will need them again

Hi Lorinda!

Well done, that is absolutely fantastic. I am a month and 10 kg behind you... watch out.

According to my surgeon, you will never reach your original weight again, you might gain some of it back ( 20%) if you don't change your lifestyle but we have mos now been rebooted and hopefully learned along with our dumping what we can and cannot eat.

Don't graze (thanks GWEN) , don't overeat and stick to the rules ( meat, then veg and then only carbs if you have space left) and you should be fine. Chuck the fat clothes! There are needy people out there. It is one of the most liberating things I have done. It's like skinny dipping ( or chunky dunking depending on where you are on the bench)

Hi Lorinda!

Well done, that is absolutely fantastic. I am a month and 10 kg behind you... watch out.

According to my surgeon, you will never reach your original weight again, you might gain some of it back ( 20%) if you don't change your lifestyle but we have mos now been rebooted and hopefully learned along with our dumping what we can and cannot eat.

Don't graze (thanks GWEN) , don't overeat and stick to the rules ( meat, then veg and then only carbs if you have space left) and you should be fine. Chuck the fat clothes! There are needy people out there. It is one of the most liberating things I have done. It's like skinny dipping ( or chunky dunking depending on where you are on the bench)

Celeste - you are hysterical!!! Your little quotes and saying in your sig crack me up!

Make room for me on the losers bench... i'm with you tomorrow... although at the rate I've been losing on the pre-op diet, I think I'm on the bench already - like an illegal immigrant. But tomorrow I get my visa and permanent residence! woohoo!

P.S. Youare looking FANTASTIC! What a difference in your face!

Hi Annie,

PAT PAT Swish swish ( sounds of me making space and patting bench) It is warm and ready! Where are you going? Sorry- I see now - UNITAS. Good place- fantastic doctor- you are in good hands. I will pray and think of you loudly.

Illegal immigrant- you can say that again-bloody hell- what pre-op diet have you been partaking in? I must maybe follow it postop then I will also be losing bloody gallons like GWEN and some others. I have started spinning classes ( ja- the psychiatrist did indicate that I need to up my anti-psychotic meds) but have not been declared saddle fit as yet ( which means that my nether unmentionable regions are bruised and not fit for anything. Am seriously thinking of buying ring cushion or maybe have one sown in permanently into underwear) With all the public holidays it has also been about 11 days since my last confession so tonight I am going to be in severe need of a soothing glass of port ( ja I know it is illegal but I will toast you- then it makes it bearable)

Good luck (((HUGS FOR ANNIE))) I will think of you- and remember :

" THIS TOO SHALL PASS" - let this be your mantra for the next 3 weeks!

:):):):)

Edited by Lovetoday
Lazy person not scrolling previous entries. Bad Celeste, very bad Celeste. Must go spinning tonight in a-tone-ment! :)

Ha ha ha - yes, well, the torurous diet has consisted of liquids for the last 2 and a half weeks and purees 2 weeks before that. Trust me - it's more fun to lose slow. I'm sick of eating food that looks predigested, and well, like vomit really. I dont want to eat yoghurt EVER again and protein shakes make me gag. I'm looking forward to the day where I'll be allowed to chew again... I'm sure God gave me teeth for this reason but hey. (But secretly, yes, it's awesome to have lost so much, but am a bit worried they will weigh me tomorrow before the op and say, ummm, sorry but your BMI is too low now - even the nutritionist was shocked at how much I'm losing. My metabolism is having a PaaaAAAARRrty!!)

Yes, I think you need to double up on the meds - SPINNING??!!!! Are you insane, is your brain shrinking too??? I went once (note -ONCE) and couldnt sit for 6 days. I went again (insane moment) and took one of those gel saddles with - didnt help at all! Ooh - that ring attachement sounds like a plan.... lets find a surgeon who will insert one permanently so we can be insane and spin. I think it migt be easier to try jogging... or yoga?

Welcome!!!

Keep us up to date with your progress.. I'm going in on Tuesday - eek!

Where did you have your op?

Hi

I had my op in Rustenburg:eek:lots and lots of pain,

were are you having yours done.Good luck and thankyou

for sending me mail ;)

Hi Lorinda!

Hi

I am a not eating good food just *&^% and I do ot know what to do

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes

Hi

I had my op in Rustenburg:eek:lots and lots of pain,

were are you having yours done.Good luck and thankyou

for sending me mail ;)

Hi Lorinda,

Had my op on Tuesday at UNITAS in Pretoria. I'm doing well but still have to be on liquids for a month now! Blaahh!!

An

Hi Lorinda,

Had my op on Tuesday at UNITAS in Pretoria. I'm doing well but still have to be on liquids for a month now! Blaahh!!

An

HI

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU,THINGS ARE ONLY GOING TO GET BETTER FOR YOU

YOU WILL SEE,ME I DO NOT KNOW!! I CAN ONLY THINK OF FOOD ALL DAY LONG DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO:confused:

Hi Lorinda,

OH NO!!! What kind of eating plan are you on now? Can you speak to your nutritionist? Maybe you are lacking in something that is making you have so many cravings?

How much weight have you lost now and how much have you got to go? Try and focus on why you did this instead of what you are giving up to get there.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time - hopefully some of the longer-term post oppers can give you some more insight!

An

Hi there.

I had my opp on Tuesday 6/5/08. I am soooooo glad its over. Stitches are coming out tomorrow and then i can start on a soft diet. Mielie pap, pasta scrambled eggs, mash etc. I am so tired of cup-a-soup , never want to see it again.

I am almost to scarred to believe that i will be losing so much weight, it seems almost impossible after being fat for most of my life.

Will keep you up to date on how the weight loss is going.

Ns. Had my opp at Folateng(Pretoria West)

Amazed to see how many people were there for tummy tucks!!!!!

Hi there.

I had my opp on Tuesday 6/5/08. I am soooooo glad its over. Stitches are coming out tomorrow and then i can start on a soft diet. Mielie pap, pasta scrambled eggs, mash etc. I am so tired of cup-a-soup , never want to see it again.

I am almost to scarred to believe that i will be losing so much weight, it seems almost impossible after being fat for most of my life.

Will keep you up to date on how the weight loss is going.

Ns. Had my opp at Folateng(Pretoria West)

Amazed to see how many people were there for tummy tucks!!!!!

Hey - we had our op on the same day!! I'm still on liquids for the rest of the month and then will have to do a month of purees - so tired of soup too!

How are you feeling now?

I am also amazed and in disbelief at the weight I'm going to lose - just seems that after a lifetime of failing this is bound to fail too - BUT IT WONT!!! How much have you lost since surgery?

Stay on this forum - it's a great support!

• 3 weeks later...
I have lost 40kg I do not know why i just want to eat:o

Find something you can be excited and passionate about.....obsess on something constructive, volunteer somewhere, start a project, pick up a new skill, follow a dream...get involved in something beyond your comfort zone and amazing things can happen.

Hi I am a new member seriously considering pointers I am based in Pta. Please send me some info where did u go for ur op how much did it cost? Complications? Is it worth it?:)

Welcome to TT!

I had my op in PTA last month - at UNITAS with Prof Heine van der Walt - he is the best. I had no complications at all - except for some blood clotting in the one little wound (which isnt considered a complication even its so minor). The op in total cost R61000 - the nice thing at UNITAS with Prof vd Walt is that it is a fixed rate - whether you have complications or stay in ICU you wont pay more. UNITAS is very well equipped and trained for this surgery so its a good place to go. I suggest you phone his offices and book a spot at the info seminar - you'll get a lot of answers there and meet the team. It's a long process - minimum 3 months before surgery but very worth it and necessary to prepare your mind an dyour body.

I am very glad I did this for myself - the best is that i'm never hungry so sticking to a diet is so easy! How much do you want to lose?

Any questions just ask me!

An

• 6 months later...

Wat van n Suid Afrikaanse saamtrek?

Almal oorsee het sulke meetings en ek dink dis nogal nice om met mense in dieselfde situasie te gesels.

Ek wens die operasie was meer algemeen in SA dan was daar dalk meer support.

Wat dink julle????

• 2 years later...