irishmom

Struggling with protein shakes!

Well I had my surgery on Friday and except for some soreness I'm not feeling so bad. Last night and today I have really ben struugling with getting n my fluid - my new baby tummy is constantly churning and gurgling - ans protein shakes...well, they are the first cause of nause so far. The smell alone blows me away and then there's that sickenly sweet aftertaste! Aughh!! I don't know how I'm going to do it! I am so looking forward to egs, soup and tuna fish!!

Help!!!

Protein shakes are an evil necessity- my way of handling them was to have them ice cold, and drink them though a straw so my nose doesn't get too close. You might want to try a different brand...

I had surgery on 24 September and I'm right with you on the protein drinks.

I'm fine on water, tea etc., but the protein stuff causes me a real problem. The one I'm having most success with is a Global Health ProCel Flavorless Protein.

There's only 5g protein but that's for a tiny 6.6g scoop. I've been adding it to broth, soup, cold and warm drinks and so far - it's the most acceptable.

I got it from Vitalady: http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=3490#

that i dont like in them. I am using the vials but really watering them down. I would love to use a straw but we were told not to. DARN. I agree with the nice and cold part.

That God it's not just me. The protein stuff is making me NAUSEOUS! I've been doing the vials and the shakes and I just can't today.

Today, I made a Carnation Instant Breakfast drink with milk for 13 g of protein, then made an 8 oz cup of coffee with 1/3 cup of NonFat Instant Milk added as the cream, and a 1 tablespoon of Sugar Free Chocolate Quik for a Cafe Mocha drink with 8g of Protein. I've got to have 40 more grams today and I don't know how in the world I'm going to get it, unless I drink milk the rest of the day.

I go to the doctor tomorrow...maybe he'll have some suggestions.

-Mike

Just sip that baby all day Mike - that's pretty much what I've been doing.

My love affair with the protein bullets lasted a whole day. They make me heave just to look at them now.

I wondered if anyone else had this problem. I've been trying to make my protein drinks a little more interesting. I'll blend 1/2 cup soymilk, 1/4 cup of fat-free fage, 1 scoop of vanilla isopure and either 1/2 banana or some berries. After I blend in the blender, it becomes very frothy and bubbly. It makes me feel kinda sick. I dont know if I'm swollowing air from the froth or its the fruit (sugar). I dont know how to blend it anyother way besides in a blender, lol. Anyone else have this happen?:P

I had this problem until I started mixing protein powder with nothing but water. I don't get that sickeningly sweet flavor and protein drinks now go down easy. Mixing in two scoops makes a thicker drink.:)

If you let it sit for a bit after blending it, some of the frothiness should go away. Try that and see if it helps. And try making one without the fruit and see how that goes.

Kelly